Thread: 3D secure

Default 3D secure

What does everyone think about this? Are you using it?

How much does it cost? Sure it is good to help prevent fraud, but is it something everyone should do?

3D Secure is a fantastic idea but not enough advertising has been done to make people aware of a) what it is b) how card holders set it up and c) how they use it

We enabled it on one of our sites and noticed a sharp decline in the numbers of orders and people where phoning up asking what the hell it was. We disabled it and the orders increased again.

In terms of costs it does not cost you extra to enable it.

In time it will become compulsory but until then we are not using it. Having said that we might be using fingerprint or iris scans in the future to buy goods online!
    Regards,

Dave

Hi, I could be wrong but within Sagepay I thought 3D Secure had to be enabled in order to be able to accept Maestro cards?.

It certainly gives you a warm, comfortable feeling when you see all the green 3D flags in the Sagepay Transaction window

My Bank said the only way I am covered 100% by the bank is if the client has placed their 4 digit 3-D secure against the transaction. this has worked for us as we can now accept international orders knowing if the symbol is green, we are covered for fraudulent transactions. We were asked about it by many clients, but once we explained it to them that it was for their security, they were pleased with our system.
    Angella
    www.internetwigs.com

Suppliers of Designer Wigs & Hairpieces

I remember that when it was introduced, it caused a huge amount of confusion - not only for customers but also traders. Protx/Sagepay made a real cockup of the transfer and Visa/Mastercard never did enough to 'market' the change to inform people that it was happening.

One of the worst managed, large scale 'improvements' handled by banks for decades!

I think most people are familiar with it now - I'd be interested to know if sales are still affected by it though.

Giles

Yes, the idea is great, especially to be covered, but if it affects sales massively I might just leave it off until it becomes compulsary.

Please be aware that if a fraudster targets your site and you do not have 3D secure you are liable for a chargeback from your bank and you will not be able to fight it.

3D secure is like using a PIN number. Only the rightful owner has access to the 3D code. The bank cannot take this money back as the cardholder should keep their 3D secure code secret like a PIN number on a card and therefore it is between the bank and the customer and not you.

Please learn by our mistakes as we have fought battles wth the card companies and always lost before 3D secure came along. Now charge backs are a thing of the past.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by powertoolworld View Post
    Please be aware that if a fraudster targets your site and you do not have 3D secure you are liable for a chargeback from your bank and you will not be able to fight it
    Hi Chris,

Hope business is good.

I assume you are only covered 100% if you deliver to the registered card address as well? Or does this not matter as long as 3D matches?

Out of interest do you reject transactions which don't match everything including 3D?
    Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

As long as you get the Green flag in Sage Pay/Protx that says you are 3D secure that means you are fully covered and you can send the goods anywhere.

We take telephone orders as well and we will only ship to a different address if they pay by Visa Debit or Meastro as you cannot get a chargeback on these cards either. This only applies to orders placed over the phone.

As you are aware we sell power tools all over Europe and this has ensured that we now get no chargebacks at all.

I used to dread the mail arriving as we used to get 3-4 chargebacks a month normally totalling over 1000 we could not afford this.

We also have a policy of reporting every chargeback as fraud to the police. We have spent a lot of time giving statements and have had some success in prosecutions and also recovering goods. This obviously eats into your time but the more we report the better chance something will happen to protect the retailer.
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for clearing this up for me. It's most appreciated.

Have a great weekend.
    Regards,

Dave

Hi Chris,

Same-o Same-o..... use sage pay and its great in using that way...

gulp! however, with this in mind, went and checked and found my flags in red for this past week and blow me down, was i surprised that there was an error on the part of streamline and my account has lost its link.... 7-14 days to sort apparently, I think it is because they are a little short staffed due to a few taking advantage of the tax payers redundency packages on offer.... but hey ho!! we still love our banks so, eh!! I would not shout and get abusive down the phone to the banks side of things....... would I??

Hi Guys

Found this link to a good pdf on Sagepay that might fill inthe gaps regarding 3D secure.

http://www.sagepay.co.uk/documents/s...eBaseGuide.pdf
    Chris