Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Secure - Again

Default 3D Secure - Again

I received a mail from paypal today (I use paypal pro) - and I just wondered if anyone else does and what they are doing regarding this......

e-mail was as follows.....

As of 1 January 2010, due to MasterCard rules, all Maestro payments you receive through UK Website Payments Pro will need to be processed via 3-D Secure.

What is 3-D Secure?

3-D Secure is the technology behind MasterCard Secure Code and Verified by Visa, which will help add an extra layer of protection to your business and reduce the risk of chargebacks.

What do you have to do?

In order to continue accepting Maestro payments after 1 January 2010, you will need to set up 3-D Secure technology, which is free of charge. You are strongly recommended to start implementing 3-D Secure now, ready for the full service which will be enabled in late August.

If you do not process Maestro transactions, then you donít need to do anything.

3d secure is a tough call.

On the positive you no longer get fraud charge backs (for now).

On the negative it causes a fair amount of abandoned baskets. We have taken the view we will introduce it the day we (and everyone else) has too. That way users will get their head round it and have no alternative option.

Surprisingly our fraud is very low (less than 1/2% a month of transactions) and 3d secure can cause anything upto 10% failure. Even i have found myself giving up when i get the dreaded box - i forget which password, then can't be bothered with the rigmarole that follows.

That's my 2 cents worth

have taken the view we will introduce it the day we (and everyone else) has too. That way users will get their head round it and have no alternative option.
    Agreed...if everyone has to do it then, I'd wait and at least it will be consistent.

It would be nice if all the banks sent letters advising their customers with Maestro cards that this will be appearing. It'd make a change to have something useful and informative come through from a bank!

If it becomes standard for all sites to do then I guess everyone will have to do it - I've heard there will be a hefty fine for site that won't have 3D secure will get a hefty fine.

Should be ok as customers get used to it as a standard.

I do not accept Maestro on the website but all other card payments. In the checkout pages I put a note that Maestro payments can only be taken over the phone. That way I am not upsetting the banks and not getting any abandoned carts.

You could just enable 3d secure and if you get any abandoned carts, just call those customers to take payment over the phone. You can view their details via orders in progress

From what I have read there is a big push from ALL PSP's to make 3D secure from 1st January 2010. We will have to wait and see whether or not this happens as previous deadlines have not been met.

I am hoping the card companies will spend some time and money informing their customers what 3D secure is and what they need to do to register.
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbite View Post
    You could just enable 3d secure and if you get any abandoned carts, just call those customers to take payment over the phone. You can view their details via orders in progress
    A query on this...if 3D secure works like Verified By Visa (the customer has to enter a password specific to the VBV check), then how can you take an order by phone and enter the transaction yourself, as the customer would have to tell you their password, which I can't imagine many would be willing to do?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding the process, but I haven't had a chance to look into 3D secure properly yet.

Technically speaking, to take customers' details over the phone, you should have a MOTO merchant account (Mail Order / Telephone Order). With some banks, this is in addition to your usual ecommerce merchant account, other banks include it as standard with an ecommerce merchant account.
    With the MOTO account, you won't be asked for 3D secure details as this is meant for online transactions. For example, if you use Sagepay and have a MOTO merchant account with the bank, you can use their "virtual terminal" to take phone order payments and this doesn't ask for 3D secure.
    However, if you are taking customers' phone orders and putting them through your own website as though you were the customer, so to speak, 3D secure is likely to still be required and could be a problem when it become mandatory.

Thanks LL. We can use the virtual terminal provided by PayPal, so that at least gives us an option, but normally we would place the order through our website, and you're right, that is going to become a problem. Guess we'll have to ask up-front of they are paying by Maestro.

Regards

Pete

HI All

Not sure how you can implement 3D secure on a BP site. It involves posts to the secure 3D secure server and I believe hidden posts back. Again had to have this set up recently for our non BP site
    Kind Regards,
    Simon

http://www.greenpeople.dk

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    HI All

Not sure how you can implement 3D secure on a BP site. It involves posts to the secure 3D secure server and I believe hidden posts back. Again had to have this set up recently for our non BP site
    We've had it in place for ages (using Sagepay VSP Direct). If the customer's card is set up for 3D secure, an extra step appears in the checkout procedure that displays the 3D secure form for the customer to fill in their password etc.

Default 3D Secure implementation

What about it Rich? does the 3D secure implementation have to be done by you, or do we all need to do our own separate integrations? from the docs they supplied it looks like it needs to be done at your end, I'm just awaiting the full Integration instructions for PaypalPro.
    We've had 3D on Paypoint (Secpay) for a long time and the whole thing was done by them, but typically we decided to try Paypal Pro just as they bring in compulsory 3D on Maestro, glad we've got Paypoint as a back up.

We switched to PP Pro to keep payment on our site on the basis that more people would go through with the transaction if they weren't transferred to another payment site, only went live today, has anybody else got opinion or experience of this?
    John Ayres

3d secure on a Blue Park site is ready to go, you only need to turn it on with your payment provider - or with sagepay anyway, not sure on the others.

We have used it since mid-july. To start with i didn't put the logos on the website, but we had quite a few non completed orders. Since i have put the logos up, it has gone back to normal.

I think it is starting to come accepted by the public now.

Neil

3d secure for maestro has been compulsory since either the beginning of June or July, i can't remember which.

If you haven't been using 3d secure on your website payments, you shouldn't have been accepting maestro cards!! Apparently!

Neil

Default 3D on PayPal Pro

As David said, this email from Paypal today:-

We're pleased to announce that 3-D Secure is now fully enabled. Remember that as of 1 January 2010, all Maestro payments you receive as direct payments on UK Website Payments Pro will need to be processed via 3-D Secure.

What is 3-D Secure?

3-D Secure is the technology behind MasterCard Secure Code and Verified by Visa, which will help add an extra layer of protection to your business and reduce the risk of chargebacks. After 1 January 2010, it will be essential for you to have 3-D Secure technology to continue accepting direct Maestro payments through UK Website Payments Pro.

Get started now

If you haven't done so already, we strongly recommend that you set up 3-D Secure technology as soon as possible so you're ready for next year. 3-D Secure is provided at no additional cost, so why not get started now?
    John Ayres

This will need to become part of our integration, made doubly complex as there are two kinds of PayPal Pro in operation for UK clients. We will aim to have it in place before 2010.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

I have become quite use to getting numerous messages as a merchant about 3D secure etc etc.

However as a consumer, with a maestro card, and a visa and mastercard, I have not yet received any information about these upcoming changes and what I should expect. Nor have I noticed any advertising / education campaigns to consumers about it. When I have mentioned this to the bank (back to the merchant side) I get a non-response.

My gripe is that they are trying to force this on businesses without ensuring that all their cardholders understand the changes.

Not only that, but password overload is too much for everyone already, without adding to it.

Then there is the mass confusion about the date when it all becomes effective, which they have kept changing so much many people (including in the banks and payment providers like Sage pay) don't know what the current status is.
    The New Zealand Honey Shop
    real goodness from mother nature

Please note that 3D Secure, provided by Cardinal Commerce, is now fully integrated with Bluepark for users of PayPal Pro (both versions). View the Latest Updates for more information.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

I'm trying to register with Cardinal Commerce, and they are asking which Development Language Bluepark uses? I assume I can just say we use a Shopping Basket solution, which is one of the options?
    Last edited by petad; 31-12-2009 at 12:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    3d secure on a Blue Park site is ready to go, you only need to turn it on with your payment provider - or with sagepay anyway, not sure on the others.

We have used it since mid-july. To start with i didn't put the logos on the website, but we had quite a few non completed orders. Since i have put the logos up, it has gone back to normal.

I think it is starting to come accepted by the public now.

Neil
    Hi Neil

Where did you source your logos from, and is there a link provided to an explanation of 3-D Secure? I'm struggling to find any useful info on the Cardinal Commerce site.

Thanks

Pete