Thread: Increase in Suspect Orders. Is it just me?

Default Increase in Suspect Orders. Is it just me?

Hi

I feel a paranoid attack coming on!

Since the 30th July we have had.

A Nigerian airline worker
    A resident of the Occupied Palestinian Territories (he actually returned from June when he failed then)
    A rock singer from Sweden
    A Spanish lady from Edgbaston with a NZ card

And now a Dutchman whose order is under review.

This number of suspect orders in approximately a 2 week period is a much higher percentage than normal. They have used various tactics, trying to pay via WorldPay, PayPal and over the phone.

Has anyone else seen an increase in fraud attempts lately or are we being singled out for special attention. I did wonder if this surge was anything to do with Secure3D coming online. The fraudsters making hay while the sun is still shining.

What do you think?

Gill

Hi Gill,

Can't say we have noticed an increase in fraudulent orders but as we don't export that could be one of the reasons we don't get many.

When 3D Secure becomes mandatory (latest of many suggested dates is January 2010) it should in theory completely stop fraudulent on-line orders.

However, as mentioned to Mike yesterday we may then see an increase in MOTO orders which may include more fraudulent orders
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hi Gill,

Can't say we have noticed an increase in fraudulent orders but as we don't export that could be one of the reasons we don't get many.

When 3D Secure becomes mandatory (latest of many suggested dates is January 2010) it should in theory completely stop fraudulent on-line orders.

However, as mentioned to Mike yesterday we may then see an increase in MOTO orders which may include more fraudulent orders
    Thanks Dave, Paranoid attack increasing! Worldpay are instigating 3D Secure this month (if they don't miss their deadline which they frequently seem to do). My bet is an increase in the PayPal orders then. Deep joy!

Gill

Gill, you think you have headaches now, wait until Worldpay implement the 3D Secure policy

We had to move to 3D Secure on Protx (Sorry Sagepay) 18 months ago and we get a fairly significant number of people not completing due to confusion over the 3D Screens, forgetting passwords etc etc. We get rude emails from customers unable to complete because they cannot navigate past the 3D Screens blaming it on us and our systems.

On the plus side, no chargebacks though

Quote Originally Posted by needundies View Post
    Gill, you think you have headaches now, wait until Worldpay implement the 3D Secure policy

We had to move to 3D Secure on Protx (Sorry Sagepay) 18 months ago and we get a fairly significant number of people not completing due to confusion over the 3D Screens, forgetting passwords etc etc. We get rude emails from customers unable to complete because they cannot navigate past the 3D Screens blaming it on us and our systems.

On the plus side, no chargebacks though
    We have been lucky (or perhaps just vigilant) we have only had two charge backs in three years. I was sort of looking forward to WorldPay implementing 3D Secure so that I could stop worrying about that side of our payment system. Especially as the alert system that Worldpay have is crazily strict... regularly warning us about customers we know to be just fine. Ah well... I guess life would just not be the same without the worries.

Gill