Thread: How to prevent follow up email and odd traffic volume

Default How to prevent follow up email and odd traffic volume

Hi

I am being lazy and have a two topic post here. First the follow up email. I have had what is most obviously a fraud attempt. A US ip declined three times by WorldPay (with a fraud alert). They also used one name for the account details in BP and two different names in their card payment attempts... clumsy or what! I don't want the sytem to send a follow up "order in progress email", is there a way of stopping it without deleting the details. I'd like to keep those for a while just in case I need to refer back to them.

Part two of this post. Traffic is good, we've recently had some more upward movement on Google which has increased our daily traffic by about 20% today though visits went through the roof. At the start of the day they were about 230 visits - which is about normal... usually by lunch time they are up around the 300 to 400 mark but today at just after lunch they were at 9,093!! I could not view the daily stats, probably because there were so many. I can't think this was genuine traffic and have emailed Rich to see if he can see what/who was causing the spike. Just wondered though, if anyone else had seen a sudden unexpected jump in traffic.

Gill

Designer Lingerie - Designer Nightdresses

Quote Originally Posted by Gillf View Post
    First the follow up email. I have had what is most obviously a fraud attempt. A US ip declined three times by WorldPay (with a fraud alert). They also used one name for the account details in BP and two different names in their card payment attempts... clumsy or what! I don't want the sytem to send a follow up "order in progress email", is there a way of stopping it without deleting the details. I'd like to keep those for a while just in case I need to refer back to them.
    Hi Gill,

The easiest way is to go into orders in progress and then under the action heading mark the order as paid. This will then transfer it into the order manager.

Then in the order manager mark it as canceled.

This way at least you can refer back to it at anytime in the future and it will not send the e-mails or disappear from orders in progress.
    Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks... I'll do that now.

Cheers

Gill

Hi
    Part two of this post. Traffic is good, we've recently had some more upward movement on Google which has increased our daily traffic by about 20% today though visits went through the roof. At the start of the day they were about 230 visits - which is about normal... usually by lunch time they are up around the 300 to 400 mark but today at just after lunch they were at 9,093!! I could not view the daily stats, probably because there were so many. I can't think this was genuine traffic and have emailed Rich to see if he can see what/who was causing the spike. Just wondered though, if anyone else had seen a sudden unexpected jump in traffic.

Gill

Designer Lingerie - Designer Nightdresses
    Hi Gill,

Wow 9,000 visits.

If you look at users on-line today does that not work. I know it will be a very long list but at least you could look at the IP Address etc to see if the extra traffic is coming from there.

Sadly I suspect it's some sort of bot or something that keeps returning with a slightly different IP Address and not genuine traffic.

If it is genuine let us all into your secret
    Regards,

Dave

Hello again Dave,

Hmmm... I don't know if I did something wrong, but I followed the process you suggested and an email went to the customer confirming the order. That will surprise him! I wonder if he will try to chase it?

This could get interesting

Gill

Hello again Dave,

Hmmm... I don't know if I did something wrong, but I followed the process you suggested and an email went to the customer confirming the order. That will surprise him! I wonder if he will try to chase it?

This could get interesting

Gill
    I was just about to send you an e-mail to say to tell you the same thing. I had a dodgy order myself just now and just did exactly what I told you to do and guess what I got the e-mail

Not sure if he will get it as well but I am going to cover myself and send him an e-mail saying we were doing some housekeeping and someone marked it as processing.

Well it did work but was not planning on it sending the bloody e-mails!

SORRY
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hi Gill,

Wow 9,000 visits.

If you look at users on-line today does that not work. I know it will be a very long list but at least you could look at the IP Address etc to see if the extra traffic is coming from there.

Sadly I suspect it's some sort of bot or something that keeps returning with a slightly different IP Address and not genuine traffic.

If it is genuine let us all into your secret

Hi Dave

I tried looking at online today but the page does not load, I think it must be too much volume. I'll wait to see if Rich has any further info on it.

I wonder how much bandwidth was used by the bot or whatever it was.... I regularly exceed the bandwidth allocation now and could do without wasters like this.

Bye for now

Gill

Hi Dave

I tried looking at online today but the page does not load, I think it must be too much volume. I'll wait to see if Rich has any further info on it.

I wonder how much bandwidth was used by the bot or whatever it was.... I regularly exceed the bandwidth allocation now and could do without wasters like this.

Bye for now

Gill
    You are probably right and it will be too large to load. Hopefully Rich will be nice and not charge you extra if you have exceeded your bandwidth because of this.
    Regards,

Dave

You are probably right and it will be too large to load. Hopefully Rich will be nice and not charge you extra if you have exceeded your bandwidth because of this.

I've already exceeded the bandwidth Still I don't mind when it is real traffic. I have had to ban Fatlens to reduce bandwidth waste and I'm still going over each month... I shall have to start blocking countries where I know it is extremely unlikely that they are buying customers.

Bye for now

Gill

I've already exceeded the bandwidth Still I don't mind when it is real traffic. I have had to ban Fatlens to reduce bandwidth waste and I'm still going over each month... I shall have to start blocking countries where I know it is extremely unlikely that they are buying customers.

Bye for now

Gill
    Well you must be doing something right if you are exceeding your bandwidth with genuine traffic. Some of us can only dream of doing that
    Regards,

Dave

I was just about to send you an e-mail to say to tell you the same thing. I had a dodgy order myself just now and just did exactly what I told you to do and guess what I got the e-mail

Not sure if he will get it as well but I am going to cover myself and send him an e-mail saying we were doing some housekeeping and someone marked it as processing.

Well it did work but was not planning on it sending the bloody e-mails!

SORRY
    Did you uncheck the "send email on save" box in the Order Processor? I have found that even if you do this, in some cases it sends an email.

Quote Originally Posted by petad View Post
    Did you uncheck the "send email on save" box in the Order Processor? I have found that even if you do this, in some cases it sends an email.
    When you mark the order as paid in the orders in progress as well as moving it to the orders manager it automatically sends the e-mail(s)

Don't think there is anyway to stop this happening when moving them from orders in progress to order manager
    Regards,

Dave