Thread: Allow order beyond stock levels

Default Allow order beyond stock levels

We understand there is an option in Configuration/Product to prevent back orders. This prevents customers from ordering more than our available stock.

We have this option set to help prevent over-ordering (which may lead to refunds, delivery delays etc.). So far this has served us well.

However, we really now need more flexibility on this (rather than a site wide option). We would like to have an option to override 'prevent back orders' to allow back-orders on a category or even item level (preferred). There are many cases where product availability is no problem and allowing back-orders would be preferrable.

Whilst on this (I think this may have been brought up a long time ago) - we would like to have an overriding option (per item) to allow/accept orders when no stock and to show a pre-defined message when no-stock (such as 'Delivery expected within 10-14 days', for example).

We know that we have missed orders simply by the system not allowing an order to process - even though we know we can fulfill it quickly and easily!

Regards
    Jonathan Read

I second both of these - would be really useful at an item level.

London UK, the world capital of magnetic therapy.

Until such an option is available - Allocate a large amount of inventory to an item (Maybe 1,000,000) and send an email telling about a small delay if over ordered.
    Eran, selling magnetic bracelets from http://www.magnetic-products-store.com/ The house of magnetic jewellery. Blogging at http://magnetictherapyuk.wordpress.com/ about all issues of magnetic therapy UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Adva Trading View Post
    Until such an option is available - Allocate a large amount of inventory to an item (Maybe 1,000,000) and send an email telling about a small delay if over ordered.
    Good idea. Unfortunately for us we update our stock levels nightly (sometimes more frequently) from live EPOS data. So still keeping fingers crossed for an update!

Regards
    Jonathan Read

I'd love this facility too. We place weekly stock orders for some lines and it isn't unusual to not have an item in stock for a day or two so this would really, really help.

We had to turn off stock control for this very reason as we still wanted to be able to take orders for the times.

If something is going to be out of stock for longer than a day or two we would want the option to either temporarily or permanently stop a customer adding to stock.

I don't know if this helps, but we use the release date for a product for things that we want to allow customers to order that we don't have. We have a couple fo suppliers that pretty much deliver next day, so when one of those items goes out of stock, we change the release date to a time in the future and input the quantity of items we know are coming (or sometimes 99 if we know there is an endless supply.) That way, the item's button says 'Preorder' rather than 'Buy now' so the customer can order one and see that the release date is in 2 days time or whatever. You can still have your stock control on that way for items that are properly out of stock.

Cool KJ......
    never thought of doing it that way..... mind you, with my brain being like treacle of late..... that's no surprise. We have stock here but then top up from our Dutch warehouse but you are guaranteed when I have run out here in the UK and it has just set of from Holland...... every woman, man and his dog will order that product

So will implement that in future - cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
    I don't know if this helps, but we use the release date for a product for things that we want to allow customers to order that we don't have. We have a couple fo suppliers that pretty much deliver next day, so when one of those items goes out of stock, we change the release date to a time in the future and input the quantity of items we know are coming (or sometimes 99 if we know there is an endless supply.) That way, the item's button says 'Preorder' rather than 'Buy now' so the customer can order one and see that the release date is in 2 days time or whatever. You can still have your stock control on that way for items that are properly out of stock.
    That's good lateral thinking! Unfortunately, we are trying to automate as much as possible as we have over 4,500 products which go in and out of stock regularly. As we don't know what time of day someone will want to order an automated process would maximise our availability.

Regards
    Jonathan Read

I'm not sure if this will work but on the Product Editor Properties page there is a "Discontinued" tick box which prevents orders when stock is out and prevents over ordering when stock is low.

If you do not use this for discontinued products you could perhaps change the text in the language manager taking out the reference to discontinued stock.

We just tend to red flag our discontinued stock.

Another good idea, albeit appearing slightly illogical! So if I were to remove the 'Prevent Backorders' option in Site Configuration, mark all stock as discontinued (that's the illogical bit!) except for those items which I wish to allow to be over ordered . This could work in a funny way - needs testing however.

This is certainly worth a try (I will report back on this). Thinking it through, it would only allow the over ordering when stock is positive (and therefore subsequent customers would not be able to over order). Also, we can only place one message (using language editor) stating whem more stock would be available (different suppliers, different lead-times).

Thanks
    Jonathan Read