Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product Tabs User Guide

Question Product Tabs User Guide

Product Tabs

Product tabs allows you to put as much product content as you want into one neat, compact section on the page. The customer can then click on the tabs at the top of the section to view each segment of content. Your page will be less cluttered and easier for the customer to take in all the information.

Configuration

Go to Site> Configuration> Product and scroll down to the Product Tabs section.

Product Tabs Position:

• Above Page Content – The product tabs will sit above any information you have entered into the Page Content field in the Product Editor and across the width of the page underneath the product images.
    • Below Page Content - The product tabs will sit below any information you have entered into the Page Content field in the Product Editor and across the width of the page underneath the product images.
    • Above Additional Content – The product tabs will sit above any information you have entered into the Additional Content field in the Product Editor and to the side of product images underneath the pricing information.
    • Below Additional Content – The product tabs will sit below any information you have entered into the Additional Content field in the Product Editor and to the side of product images underneath the pricing information.

NB. These settings will only work for non-customised product HTML

Tabs Border:

• Whole tab curved – The entire tab area with have a border around it with curved corners.
    • Whole tab straight – The entire tab area with have a border around it with straight corners. This does not include the actual tabs.
    • Top and bottom only – Only the top and bottom of the tab area will have a border. The side borders are removed.
    • Top only – Only the top of the tab area will have a border. The side and bottom borders are removed.

Tabs Fixed Height:
    If you do not set a fixed height to the tab area the tab will resize to fit the content within it. This is particularly useful if the tabs are to the side of the images as it will keep the whole page aligned.

When you are happy with your settings, click on the Save icon.

------------------------------------------------------------

Product Tabs
    Go to Catalogue> Product Tabs and click on the New create.gif icon.

Give your tab a title and an internal reference (optional).

Body:
    The body field will be the actual content of the tab. This will appear on any product you add this tab to so it must be generic. For instance, it could be text which contains delivery information or care instructions.

Alternatively you can use product variables to populate the content of the tab with the content of the product variable. For instance, the variable ‘%product_content’ will populate the tab with the contents of the Page Content field in the Product Editor.

The most common variables are listed below the Body field and a full list can be viewed by clicking on the ‘View Variable List’ link underneath.

------------------------------------------------------------

Product Editor

Now you need to add your tabs to your products. Go to Catalogue> Product Manager and click on the product you want to add the tabs to.

Within the Product Editor, go to the Content tab and scroll down to the Product Tabs section. Click on the tabs you wish to appear on this product. To select more than one tab hold down the CTRL key o your keyboard and then click on the tab names. Each one will highlight when it has been selected.

NB. If you have customised the Product Detail Page HTML you will need to add the Product Tabs variable into the HTML for the tabs to appear on the website.
    Moderator :: Bluepark Solutions

Cate

Fab user guide, thank you. How/where do you add the HTML to the Product Details page?

Go to the Template Editor> Custom HTML and click on the 'Source' link under the 'Product Detail Page:' text. You will then need to add the variable text which is [IF product_tabs]%product_tabs[/IF] exactly where you want the tabs to appear. Click on Send Changes at the bottom and then Save the template.

If you need help doing this just send me an email telling me where you want it to appear and I will point you in the right direction.
    Moderator :: Bluepark Solutions

Thanks I will go have a play. Greg is going to work on my product pages on ICE Gems and I am going to have a try to get it all working on the other site(s). If I come unstuck I will ask for help.

Great new feature! Just testing with it now.

Is there any way to mass add the generic tabs we have made to all products?

Thanks,

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Is there any way to mass add the generic tabs we have made to all products?

Grant
    I assume quickest way of adding to all products would be using export/import.
    Regards,

Dave

Since i had chased this for a little while i guess i should say thanks!!!! its pretty much perfect!!! Or perhaps it is and just me/personal taste;

Here is a link to it in use; Wine Bottle Plate

My only question is; I'd like the tabs styling to follow the styling on the block titles (You may also like block below). Is this possible, and i just haven't seen how to?

James,

You need to remove the contact form from your questions & social tab NOW!

Although the contact form works it actually disables the Add to Basket functionality. So if you are wondering why its gone quiet that's the reason.

You can't have a form within a form (the product page is a form)
    Regards,

Dave

With regards to the styling of your tabs you can change the border, height etc via site-->configuration-->product

Anything else you will have to change via CSS
    Regards,

Dave

Phew, thanks Dave!
    Good news is i had only implemented the tabs on one of the product pages as a tester!

Glad i didn't roll it out straight away

So you can have a form in a block on a product page - but not in the actual product coded section itself then?
    Regards

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    James,

You need to remove the contact form from your questions & social tab NOW!

Although the contact form works it actually disables the Add to Basket functionality. So if you are wondering why its gone quiet that's the reason.

You can't have a form within a form (the product page is a form)
    Wow I didn't realise this either! well spotted Dave, and thanks for sharing that.

I'd like to implement the product tabs, can others provide some links to examples?
    Bather..

I've still got a few to add to different products so it isn't finished yet but I'm definately getting there:-

The picture script has been implemented by Greg Grant at additional cost but here is an example of mine:-

http://www.icegems.co.uk/teens-unise...-bracelet.html

Thanks, really liking that engravement visualisation!
    I think this tab idea will really help with my long descriptions.

That is so cool Nadine. Should cut down on the number of "mistakes" made by customers.

Axx

Hi Bather

Heres mine ; http://www.protecttheplanet.co.uk/ec...s-baubles.html

WRC redesigned sorted mine style wise, but it does keep the pages nice and tidy.
    I think I read somewhere that the custom data fields arent read by google? So I've saved these just for generic info - like images & delivery information

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyservis View Post
    I think I read somewhere that the custom data fields arent read by google? So I've saved these just for generic info - like images & delivery information
    Hi James

This isn't the case. They are not searchable on the site but can be read by search engines. See explanation from Rich

http://www.bluepark.co.uk/forums/sho...0251#post20251
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyservis View Post
    Heres mine ; http://www.protecttheplanet.co.uk/ec...s-baubles.html

WRC redesigned sorted mine style wise, but it does keep the pages nice and tidy.
    Hi, just noticed that you have an "ask a question" form within your tabs, would love to introduce this ourselves but I thought there was a problem with having forms on Product Pages?

Obviously it works because you are using it, so I might give it a go.

I think the 'ask a question' form is a seperate block, under the main content.
    John Ayres