Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask for email address twice

Default Ask for email address twice

I am getting quite a few bounces from customers not entering their email address correctly. Is there a way please to ask them to enter it twice and the auto-fill thing doesn't happen so they actually have to type it in? I am thinking this would mean less errors.

We are experiencing this issue as well when customers are registering on our site.

On EKM they have this - yes they do have something!

Unfortunately it doesn't work in practice how you would like it. People still make the same mistakes twice! It really did not get any better when they upgraded! It may stop a few but we have at least 1 in 15 who manage to put it in wrong twice.

That's because most people copy and paste, i have sat and watched it happen when testing.
    Regards

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That's because most people copy and paste, i have sat and watched it happen when testing.
    There are ways to disable that though - I have seen many websites where you have to physically type in the second address....?
    Tracy

I think Postcode anywhere have an e-mail validation tool that validates the e-mails at the point of entry

Obviously, its another thing you have to buy - but.....

Terry

Can you not add some text via the language manager "Please check your email address is correct, all communication will be sent via email" or something along those lines.

Yeah, could do a message but most people don't read it or care... they think of course I won't make a mistake, lol.

I was thinking of asking for it twice with no ability to paste and the autofill to be disabled too so they physically have to type it in the second time at least. I see loads of sites do this so was hoping it would be possible.

I think Bluepark validates the email address to make sure it is a valid working email address.

It doesn't validate them on customer entry, I think postcode anywhere does this at an additional cost?

Is this currently integrated with bluepark?

Bluepark actually does validate email addresses. Try typing one that doesn't exist into a New Account form and then click out of the field.

Maybe we need to use this technology more heavily, I'm happy to hear suggestions.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Ah my apologies, is this a recent update? I have received bounced email notifications from the bluepark servers in the past but thinking about it, it has been a while since I last received one.

This has been in the system for a couple of years:

http://www.bluepark.co.uk/forums/sho...3654#post13654

Wow, now that is clever. Loving it... much better than entering twice But I have to admit I am confused then. If it works then how can anyone ever enter an email address incorrectly? I have had a couple even last week, and it was obvious things like typing hotmai and stuff like that, I seem to recall.

It only warns that the address appears to be invalid. The customer can still proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deefer View Post
    But I have to admit I am confused then. If it works then how can anyone ever enter an email address incorrectly?
    Giving people information is easy. Getting them to read it is ... something else.

Oh I see... lol. I hadn't realised they could still proceed

So the facility is already there and fantastic. I wonder if we could make it so they can't proceed?

Some people place orders online using email addresses that don't exist on purpose.
    I wouldn't want to lose any sales from making it compulsory to enter a correct one.

Some people place orders online using email addresses that don't exist on purpose.
    I wouldn't want to lose any sales from making it compulsory to enter a correct one.

This is so very true......!

Customers are very odd creatures......

Watchesandrings.com

It's all in the title.......
    Family owned and operated since 2006

Maybe it could be an option then (not proceeding if email address is incorrect) cos I don't really want to take orders from people who don't give a correct email address and I would like to help customers more when they enter it incorrectly by mistake