Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Law on Cookies - We Need Consent

Default New Law on Cookies - We Need Consent

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ernet-browsing

I know someone brought this up on the forum quite a while ago, but it seems that the law is a month away from being implemented.

It would be interesting to see what everyone's views on this matter are, especially Rich's...

Blue Park is using cookies for 'essential' services such as shopping basket not for tracking for ads, the general assumption out there at the moment is that is currently allowed i believe.
    Regards

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Blue Park is using cookies for 'essential' services such as shopping basket not for tracking for ads, the general assumption out there at the moment is that is currently allowed i believe.
    What about Google Analytics?

Yes, that's the interesting one.

I think until it happens no one actually know's what is considered essential.
    Regards

Neil.

I noticed the other day that Amazon.co.uk now have a link on their footer, "Cookies & Internet Advertising" I am sure this is new, or maybe I have just never noticed it before!

Anyone had any further thoughts? Should we be doing anything? I would rather remove my Analytics than have some warning and 'click here to accept cookies' type message.

Also, does anyone here run a forum? I wonder if that needs consideration too as they mot definitely collect cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Deefer View Post
    Anyone had any further thoughts? Should we be doing anything? I would rather remove my Analytics than have some warning and 'click here to accept cookies' type message.

Also, does anyone here run a forum? I wonder if that needs consideration too as they mot definitely collect cookies.
    I think we shall just have to wait & see what the big companies do & then Rich can follow suit. With regards to Google Analytics if they have to change anything they'll make a big announcement so I guess we should just wait & see what Google do as well.

OK It's great to have the BP forum and Rich in charge of issues isn't it. With some of my old carts you felt really alone when changes were made to internet rules. With BP you feel so supported.

I have placed some information regarding cookies in our private forum:

http://www.bluepark.co.uk/forums/sho...ie-Information
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

This is quite a good explanation of the requirements http://blog.silktide.com/2011/05/coo...-need-to-know/

Thanks Greg. It still seems pretty unclear with regards what counts as an essential cookie. I was considering removing the Google Analytics code from my BP setup which means no analytics and presumably no issues there but then I read in that article you posted that facebook like buttons etc... might cause issues too with the new cookie rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I can't seem to access that Rich. I am getting an access denied message. What does it say?

I asked my forum software people what they were doing about the new cookie rules and originally they said nothing, just put it in your board rules. I replied saying as far as I understood it, if the forum cookies were non essential (no idea if they are, but if they are) then the rule has to that visitors physically accept... you can't just write it in t&c or a disclaimer. So a few hours later they replied again saying:

We have made some changes for version 3.3.2 due for release shortly which addresses the EU cookie law and describes in detail the cookies which are in use and provides the relevant prompt.

So it looks like they are going to add a prompt. Is that what you are doing on your forum Rich?

Thanks Greg. It still seems pretty unclear with regards what counts as an essential cookie. I was considering removing the Google Analytics code from my BP setup which means no analytics and presumably no issues there but then I read in that article you posted that facebook like buttons etc... might cause issues too with the new cookie rules.
    I would recommend (and will be) waiting until the larger companies act on this (i.e. Amazon, John Lewis, etc.). Also, Google aren't going to let a product like Analytics, which they've no doubt invested (m/b)illions in, get left by the wayside. Smaller sites are literally going to be "under the radar" for a very long time.

I do believe they've invented a law which will become pretty much impossible to enforce. It's a sledgehammer to crack a nut (and worse, a nut that didn't need cracking).

In terms of Bluepark's cookies (both of them!) I think there is a very clear argument that they are essential to the functionality of the site. A site with a shopping basket has to remember the customer from page to page.

Personally, I would "wait and see" before taking any action.

I can't seem to access that Rich. I am getting an access denied message. What does it say?
    Go to the Admin Manager in your Admin Console, edit your admin user account, then add your forum username and password to access the private forum.

In terms of the Bluepark forum's cookies, vBulletin may address it in one of their updates - but I'm genuinely not worried.

Brilliant... thanks Rich

EKM sent an email out about their "Cookie Crumbler" and services taking into account the new law - and what they are going to do for their websites hosted with them...anyone see it? If not, Ill put it up here when I get back on 8th
    Terry
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

How can I access the private forum to see this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Web View Post
    How can I access the private forum to see this ?
    In your BP Admin panel, go into your Admin profile and there are "forum user" and "forum password" boxes that you need to fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
    I noticed the other day that Amazon.co.uk now have a link on their footer, "Cookies & Internet Advertising" I am sure this is new, or maybe I have just never noticed it before!
    The BBC News site now has a notice at the top of the page allowing people to "chaneg your cookie settings".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/