Thread: Google Crawl Errors

Default Google Crawl Errors

Hi All,

I have a number of google crawl errors for products deleted and categories renamed.

Should these be of concern?

I have read about 301 directions should I be using these or leaving the 404 errors. I only have 42 at present and 12 of them weren't errors when I clicked on them so I am down to 30.

Can anyone advise what I should be doing with them as I don't want the list to get unmanageable and I am about to rename ALL my products and category URL's which in theory will create a lot.

Many Thanks

Simon
    www.spocomponents.co.uk - Computer Component Online Retailer.

For Google, 301 redirects are the answer particularly if you are making whoelsale URL changes as a 301 is permanent. However, short term (and less time consuming) so that you dont lose potential customers with 404 Page Not Found errors, simply set your default 404 page to your home page (index.html) - SITE / CONFIGURATION / SITE - "404 Error page (URL) - index.html. That way, the visitor stays on your site and is not confused by the 404.

How do I set a 301 when I delete a product or change a category or change the URL?

www.spocomponents.co.uk - Computer Component Online Retailer.

Sorry I see know I can add them on the Configuration / Site page. Under add Redirect from URL.

www.spocomponents.co.uk