Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Change layout of Checkout - Account preparation page

I posted earlier back on the thread in 2012 and would just like to add my +1 to a one-page checkout :-)
    Melanie

Yes I also have agreed in the past to an improved, modern check out and would love to see it on the update list.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by niche View Post
    Yes I also have agreed in the past to an improved, modern check out and would love to see it on the update list.
    Kim
    I think the vast majority of BP users would like to see this, it seems to me that there is far less progress on BP since they upped their body count from 1 to 3.
    John Ayres

I've been banging on about this for a couple of years now, so I will summarise my views here:

It would be cleaner if to create an account, the customer simply entered a password of their choosing as another line in the details section (enter password here to create account). At the merchant' choice this could be mandatory, optional or just not appear. Or even better I would like the account creation AFTER the sale: "thanks for your order, to save your details for faster checkout next time and to earn loyalty points please create an account by entering a password of your choosing here." This page to be totally customisable.

The problem with auto account creation is that it's so damn difficult to remember the random password. I don't like the guest checkout because guest checkout should be the default position, customer shouldn't have to consciously select it.

1. Assuming a first user: User enters address details as normal and then there is an optional box after the email address to enter a password of choice to create an account. So the default position is that of a "guest" unless they choose to create an account in which case they will use a password of their choice (one which they probably use all the time and they will remember!)

2. A returning user with an account but not signed in, should be told they have an account and can sign in to save time if they wish but they should still be able to checkout without signing in. At the moment a returning user has to remember a random password to buy. This is very bad.

So in summary:

1. We shouldn't use random passwords, users should select them
    2. A returning user should be able to buy without signing in if they so wish.

I would like to think those two points could be sorted very easily with zero impact to merchants. Once those two points are sorted, the rest is just preference over design.

In reply to John, I think they have been very busy with the API that many people asked for, and they seem to implement things pretty quick in comparison to other providers, I think BP are excellent and I have no doubt that they have things in hand.

I agree the Checkout needs a Revamp and I think Rich has said that it is booked in for sometime in the future,

But I don't want to see any reference to 'Account Setup'.

But I do agree that having the user could select a password, but only after the sale.
    Regards

Neil.

If Rich is reading this then I expect that he realizes that one size doesn't fit all and it is going to be a bigger job than just a re-design.

There could be 2, 3 or even 4 different versions that we could be able to choose.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Les78 View Post
    If Rich is reading this then I expect that he realizes that one size doesn't fit all and it is going to be a bigger job than just a re-design.

There could be 2, 3 or even 4 different versions that we could be able to choose.

Ian
    I don't think they'll be different versions, there's no need really.

All of these arguments about 1 page vs multi-page checkouts are pointless, there's always 10 studies that show one is 50% more effective, and another 10 vice-versa, Rich isn't going to design 2 completely separate checkouts for both camps, he'll just choose the one he prefers.

I'll rally behind this one as well, I thinkn its the weakest part of the entire solution. really needs an overhaul
    Premier Bathroom Studio | http://www.premierbathroomstudio.co.uk

Just to add to this, I have just purchased something on the Fossil website www.fossil.co.uk and their checkout is brilliant, very clear and easy and an option at end for creating an account with your own choice of password.

Quote Originally Posted by niche View Post
    Just to add to this, I have just purchased something on the Fossil website www.fossil.co.uk and their checkout is brilliant, very clear and easy and an option at end for creating an account with your own choice of password.
    Have to say I would love to see something similar implemented as well.

Fossil's checkout is actually one of the best I have seen, I love the way that the login/register form pops up in a jQuery lightbox, this really entices you to add you email address which is the crucial part for the cart abandonment email. I do hope that Bluepark do some research into this they will see that they are away behind on the checkout process in my book, having said that Fossils website is IBM websphere which costs millions, so you could argue you get what you pay for.
    Premier Bathroom Studio | http://www.premierbathroomstudio.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb123 View Post
    Fossil's checkout is actually one of the best I have seen, I love the way that the login/register form pops up in a jQuery lightbox, this really entices you to add you email address which is the crucial part for the cart abandonment email. I do hope that Bluepark do some research into this they will see that they are away behind on the checkout process in my book, having said that Fossils website is IBM websphere which costs millions, so you could argue you get what you pay for.
    You definitely get what you pay for and I think BP is stunning value for money. But I do think that the checkout process could do with an update.

I still think the Magexxx one page checkout is one of the best, and it's very low cost!
    John Ayres

Just tested the new 'account (optional after guest checkout)' and it works well. Thanks Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by greggrant View Post
    Just tested the new 'account (optional after guest checkout)' and it works well. Thanks Rich.
    Good to hear. In case anyone was worried, this isn't "the" checkout update or a redesign, it's just a few key improvements that have been discussed previously.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Excellent - thanks, Rich!

I've only had a quick look at this, and haven't gone through the whole checkout, but this looks like a big improvement, and captures the best of both worlds; speed/simplicity and account creation!
    Thank you.
    Bloobry -10% code: BP10

With the new option 3 (optional after guest checkout) it seems everyone gets presented with step 1 of 3 where they enter their address details (unless they are signed in). I am just thinking the "If you already have an account with us, please sign in." is a bit easy to miss and we risk people with accounts missing that and filling their details in all over again.

Hi Rich, this is a welcome improvement, thanks. It would be nice if a returning user wasn't forced to sign in to order - any way this can be achieved?