Thread: Blue Park Mobile Responsive ?, Mobile Usage Stats and How To Check Your Competition

Default Blue Park Mobile Responsive ?, Mobile Usage Stats and How To Check Your Competition

Hello Rich / Fellow Blueparkers.

Not sure if you are aware of Google's Mobile Information Site – Here http://www.howtogomo.com/en-gb/d/

Google are stating that by 2014 more people will use mobiles than PCs to get online and search for products and information. Think about that….

There is a lot more information on stats, what a mobile site should and shouldn’t include etc here…. http://www.howtogomo.com/en-gb/d/why...obile-research

Quicksprout.com wrote an article that has some more facts and numbers (many from google) about mobile usage and purchasing decisions made from mobile.

http://www.quicksprout.com/2012/03/29/how-to-optimize-your-mobile-site-for-search-engines/

What your competitors are doing

You can test how your site looks on mobile devices and how your competitors sites look by simply entering yours/their url here..

http://www.howtogomo.com/en-gb/d/test-your-site/#getmo-meter

Our main competitors have mobile versions of their site.

Mobile search engine ranking

Read into this what you like but Search Engine Land has an article which implies there are /will be will be separate ranking factors for mobile searches and mobile optimised sites will take preference in mobile searches. I have checked a few of our key terms from my iphone and this doesn’t seem to be the case with us, but it was a limited check. We are researching analytics programmes at the moment to help us make better decisions in the future which will also monitor mobile searches.

http://searchengineland.com/seo-considerations-for-google-mobile-search-in-2012-105469

I am not an expert in any of this
    but when researching this, it seems to be very important or it will be soon to have a mobile responsive design of your site and when checking our competitors, all our main competition have a separate mobile version site and they are far easier to navigate from a mobile device (phone – not ipad).

Here is another article from Google about the different types of mobile site…

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...martphone.html

So my questions are:

1. Will Bluepark provide a mobile friendly version of our sites and if so what are the timelines for implementation?

If not..

2. If we commission a third party to build a separate mobile version site – will this have any impact on our Bluepark site re hosting etc?

3. Has anyone gone their own way and already commissioned a separate mobile site – if so, has it had an impact on your conversions?

Thanks

H.

Personally I don't like mobile sites and have never purchased on one, I have however purchased via apps on both my iphone and ipad. I think that with mobile screens getting bigger there will be less desire for mobile sites. (IMO)

If I go to a site on my phone and there isn't a link to the 'full site' I usually click back.

Les

Be aware the Google list both tablets and mobiles phones under the term 'mobile'.

When you split it out in the stats you will find there probably will be a high % of tablets - esp during the evening, these work with proper site very well and using a mobile site for this would be a mistake. In fact my %conversion rate for customers visiting by tablet is higher than everything else.

There was a report in the last internet retailing magazine i think it was, that around 60 - 70% ish (can't remember exactly) of mobile phone users preferred to use a normal site and zoom in. I was looking at ways to implement a mobile solution and haven't yet found one that will work well.
    Regards

Neil.

Can anyone clarify for me please?

Is a responsive site one which renders differently on different devices, whereas a mobile site is a completely separate site with less information?

Sorry seen an answer to my question from the link above to Google, but still not sure what the difference between 1 and and 2 is

When building a website that targets smartphones, Google supports three different configurations:

1. Sites that use responsive web design, i.e. sites that serve all devices on the same set of URLs, with each URL serving the same HTML to all devices and using just CSS to change how the page is rendered on the device. This is Google’s recommended configuration.
    2. Sites that dynamically serve all devices on the same set of URLs, but each URL serves different HTML (and CSS) depending on whether the user agent is a desktop or a mobile device.
    3. Sites that have a separate mobile and desktop sites.

The key difference is in the HTML - with option 1 the HTML stays the same (HTML is the code used to create content on the website) and the CSS (used to create the layout and style of the website) makes the changes depending on the screen size. So a big screen might show 3 columns horizontally whereas as smaller screen might show 2 columns across and move the content of the 3rd column below the 2 columns. An even smaller screen (iPhone for example) might show the content as 3 x 1 columns stacked vertically. That's why it's called responsive design as the layout responds to the screen size (it's a bit more complicated than that but you get the picture!). So HTML (the content of the website) stays the same and the CSS makes all the changes. This is the preferred option as the same content is always served on every device. It's also the hardest to create successfully!

With option 2 the HTML might be written differently for different devices. You can put code into the website so that it recognises which type of device someone is using, i.e. desktop, iPad, android phone etc. It will then render the appropriate HTML (and perhaps different CSS) for that specific device. With both options the same URL is used. Option 3 is HTML and CSS written completely separately and served on different URLs, e.g. www.mobile.bbc.co.uk and www.bbc.co.uk - Hope that helps but difficult to explain in a couple of paragraphs. Greg

Thank you, Greg - making a lot more sense to me now!