Thread: Cookie Popup

Default Cookie Popup

This might have been asked before but is there a Cookie Acceptance Popup for Bluepark?

I know there are not a great deal of cookies anyway but don't you need it now to be cookie compliant?

Cheers & Tight Lines!!

Ian
    Shop4Tackle Limited

www.shop4tackle.com
    www.facebook.com/shop4tackle

There isn't at the moment, we had a forum debate not long ago about this issue:
    http://www.bluepark.co.uk/forums/sho...e-Need-Consent

The general consensus, which I think still stands, is that until all of the big players start implementing these changes (Amazon, John Lewis, Debenhams, etc), then we wouldn't want Rich wasting his time on it.

In my opinion it was a silly regulation, and the E-commerce world must think similarly, as there has been not much response to it.

I see that you have a Privacy Policy & Terms & Conditions, and that your Privacy Policy mentions cookies, I would be more than happy with that at the moment. You can also add the requirement of customers agreeing to your T&Cs before placing a purchase in the Configuration part of Bluepark, if you haven't already.

Oh I totally agree, I worry about a lot more things than cookies when I am surfing the net .... I just thought that the popup was a requirement now? I have already added my cookie info into my Privacy Policy page so I am covered as far as the law is concerned

Cheers & Tight Lines!!

Ian
    Shop4Tackle Limited

www.shop4tackle.com

You can also add the requirement of customers agreeing to your T&Cs before placing a purchase in the Configuration part of Bluepark, if you haven't already.
    Already doing that too

Cheers & Tight Lines!!

Ian
    Shop4Tackle Limited

www.shop4tackle.com

I can't remember whether the actual law ever passed, I think it may of passed but it's one of those "laws" that a community decides to ignore due to having common sense.

As Rich originally said, if companies like Amazon are disregarding it then there's no need for any of us to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasMurray View Post
    As Rich originally said, if companies like Amazon are disregarding it then there's no need for any of us to worry.
    Yeah but companies like Amazon ignore our tax laws so ignoring this is no big surprise is it ....

Cheers & Tight Lines!!

Ian
    Shop4Tackle Limited

www.shop4tackle.com

Hi folks, a quick update on the cookie law...

http://www.netmagazine.com/news/cookie-law-dead-132540

As good as (if not quite) dead by the sound of it. Which to be fair was obvious to many of us from the start.

My advice is, refer to your cookies in your privacy page, perhaps rename your link to 'Privacy & Cookies' - but don't go forking out loads on implementing popups, fadey bars and so on requiring consent. Not only is it not worth it, you may end up driving visitors away needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by tightlinesuk View Post
    Yeah but companies like Amazon ignore our tax laws so ignoring this is no big surprise is it ....
    Amazon don't ignore our tax laws, but like Google, Starbucks and UK companies like Arcadia and Virgin they use the multiple loopholes in our laws to avoid tax. The foreign companies doing it always seem to get castigated whilst the UK ones get Knighthoods, it's a weird world when the more money you have, the less you contribute to the country's overheads.
    John Ayres

Corporation tax is such a daft tax anyway, we would be better doing away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Hi folks, a quick update on the cookie law...

http://www.netmagazine.com/news/cookie-law-dead-132540

As good as (if not quite) dead by the sound of it. Which to be fair was obvious to many of us from the start.

My advice is, refer to your cookies in your privacy page, perhaps rename your link to 'Privacy & Cookies' - but don't go forking out loads on implementing popups, fadey bars and so on requiring consent. Not only is it not worth it, you may end up driving visitors away needlessly.
    Is this still current information - two years on? I'm trying to build my T&C and Privacy Policy statements and been taken to task in my business group for not having the pop-up "accept cookies" thing on my site? Is it still ok just to include it in the Privacy statement?

Thanks
    Julie
    Visit Night Owl Creative for hand-crafted jewellery and gifts, with 10% off for Blueparkers - code "BPark10"

Just bumping this - does anyone have an answer for me please?
    Visit Night Owl Creative for hand-crafted jewellery and gifts, with 10% off for Blueparkers - code "BPark10"

I think it's perfectly acceptable not to use a pop up. Loads of sites do not use a pop up. What's the worst that could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I think it's perfectly acceptable not to use a pop up. Loads of sites do not use a pop up. What's the worst that could happen?
    I don't know Ashley, just that I got a bit of a blasting from my business group saying I MUST use the pop-up to be legally correct. Thanks for your reply.

Hi JulieAnne,

The share application Addthis offer ways to share pages and products. They also allow you to add a welcome bar. This is a bar that pops up when you first enter the site and then you can click to close the bar. The message can be altered for whatever you want. Might be worth a look.

Kind Regards

Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnne View Post
    I don't know Ashley, just that I got a bit of a blasting from my business group saying I MUST use the pop-up to be legally correct. Thanks for your reply.
    Just point them to the many many examples of large sites that do not even bother, Amazon, Facebook, Google, + many more e-commerce websites

Good point Thomas, thank you - I shall stop worrying about it now.