Thread: Keeping leading zeros

Default Keeping leading zeros

Hi,

Does anyone know how to ensure leading zeros are retained when exporting product data as a csv file? There is an option to keep/ignore leading zeros on product import but nothing for export.
    At the moment whenever I export my product list it removes leading zeros which is a real pain.

Thanks,
    Paul

You can use the "custom" option in the cell format of Excel to put them back on.

Can't see how to do it with BP export.

The file exported from our system contains leading zeros. It's Excel that hides them when you view the spreadsheet.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Thanks RD,

I think I will have to change my SKU format otherwise I will always have this problem when exporting and as my catalogue grows, so will the problem.

Cheers,
    Paul

Ah, OK thanks Rich.

I don't see how you can show them by default when opening a csv file in Excel though. You have to rename the csv file .txt and then open it through the text file wizard. Here you can set the SKU column to 'text' rather than number.
    This is a faff to do every time I export (plus the increased potential to make mistakes) so it's probably better I change my SKU format now, since I'm in the early stages of setting up my site and it's not a problem.

Thanks,
    Paul

Even worse are bar codes! Wishes excel actually excelled.

Just put a letter at the beginning of your SKU's
    e.g T00123
    Terry

To keep your leading zeros in Excel you need to import the CSV through DATA>FROM TEXT. Then select comma delimited and on the next screen select the SKU column and change the field data to text. This will maintain the zeros, but also maintains numbers if they are longer than 16 digits long.
    Shaun

Loxta Hardware
    www.loxta.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just put a letter at the beginning of your SKU's
    e.g T00123
    This is what I've done in the end Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitinglard View Post
    This is what I've done in the end Terry.
    Thats what I did, and works well - saves all the messing around with Excel etc

Terry
    Terry

Hi,
    I have increased all my prices by 5 percent by a export to excell. Will Bluepark round up the prices on import.
    Also we have long number sku's and numbers starting with zero's. If we follow this advice below after increasing the prices,

"To keep your leading zeros in Excel you need to import the CSV through DATA>FROM TEXT. Then select comma delimited and on the next screen select the SKU column and change the field data to text. This will maintain the zeros, but also maintains numbers if they are longer than 16 digits long"

Is there a way to save this excell file so we can import the file into Bluepark?

Thanks

LibreOffice is free and last time I checked it keeps leading 0s and also doesn't do that stupid thing with barcodes that Excel does. I used to use it all the time when importing / exporting .csvs

You can have both Excel and LibreOffice installed and choose LibreOffice as the default program for .csvs , but keep Excel as the default program for spreadsheets, or Right Click > Open As to choose between the two.

Thanks thats great

Can you tell me the settings for LibraOffice please. The import preview looks ok but no prices are changed.