Thread: Has anyone created a mobile site yet?

Default Has anyone created a mobile site yet?

I keep hearing how we need a mobile site and Google Analytics is showing that more of our browsers are going in through mobile and tablet than pc. Has anyone either had one developed, or created one for their site using free or paid for software? I started trying to tinker with a freebie but our landing page is all over the place and looks dreadful. Any tips clever BP users?

Thanks,
    Joanne

I'd love to know the answer to this

We looked at some javascript to detect the browser and assign a template, but this stopped working once the user started to use the search feature. The best code we've seen has been PHP which we can't use with BP

BP itself holds up very well in mobile browsers in my opinion, but I would be nice to give customers the op to view a much streamlined version if they have poor connection on the mob device.

Bluepark did mention that a mobile offering was in the plan for this year. I think it would be very difficult to create a truly mobile or responsive design using a BP template at the moment. There are companies who will build a bespoke mobile site and tie your product and order feed into it but they're not cheap.

Thanks both - wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious! Will wait and see what develops then.... Have a good Friday!

I do not think I would even go for a mobile type site, my site I think looks so much better as it is than the sort of offering mobile sites offer. I think customers can order just as easily using the normal site. Tablets dont need a mobile site thats for sure and most smartphones are now big enough to handle a full site.
    If anyone has a good reason to use a mobile site and Im missing something then please say so....
    Gary
    www.inflatabletentsonline.co.uk

If anyone has a good reason to use a mobile site and Im missing something then please say so....
    A lot depends on your products. I probably wouldn't use a mobile site to buy a high value item where I wanted a lot of detailed information. But if I was looking for e.g. 20 rolls of Sellotape, 3 dispensers and 2 staple guns I'd be happy to do this on the train during my daily commute. That's when mobile sites come into their own.

This was taken from the results of one the big boys in our industry:

"During the year, the company introduced free returns, extended the Sunday order cut-off to 3.30pm for Monday delivery, and launched a mobile website, which contributed to the 29% increase in online turnover."
    Shaun

Loxta Hardware
    www.loxta.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by handlehub View Post

"During the year, the company introduced free returns, extended the Sunday order cut-off to 3.30pm for Monday delivery, and launched a mobile website, which contributed to the 29% increase in online turnover."
    Perhaps we should be selling Ironmongery!

What an ugly word Ironmongery is, didn't realise it till I typed it.
    John Ayres

About 8 years ago I ordered a curtain rail from screw fix at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon. Next day I had it in my hand at 12. Still stunned even now as I didn't even realise they worked Sundays then! Let's face it us little guys will never be able to do that as I wasn't even charged for getting it next day.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Perhaps we should be selling Ironmongery!

What an ugly word Ironmongery is, didn't realise it till I typed it.
    Place architectural in front of it and it should soften the blow.

Anyway it was just to highlight that mobile e-commerce can be successful in certain environments.
    Shaun

Loxta Hardware
    www.loxta.co.uk

I would love to be able to create templates using responsive design in BP, but I imagine there would need to be a fundamental rewrite of the markup before that could happen - and whether that's feasible without messing up existing BP sites, I'm not sure.

Be very interested to know what direction a BP mobile offering would take.

They don't say what proportion of the increase is attributed to the Mobile bit... recent research shows that 'Free Returns' along with 'Free Delivery' create the biggest impact & I expect that the Sunday opening has accounted for a good proportion of the increase, Builders like to order at the last minute!

We currently get sales using mobile devices, whilst BP isn't perfect in that respect (But good in most others) the way pads and good phones now show our sites I think the mobile impact will not be as great an improvement in sales as we would like to think.

That's not to say I wouldn't use it...
    Last edited by Fields of Blue; 11-03-2013 at 10:30. Reason: Typo's
    Graham
    Fields of Blue Group
    Fields of Blue - Lighting

I'd really like to work this into our site design. Our revenue stats show that 25% of our traffic is from mobile devices yet the return on investment is only 10% that on non-mobile devices. At a conservative estimate, we'd increase sales by around 20,000 per month if we could emulate our conversion rate on mobiles. We have customised our site in-house and feel confident we could work up a responsive version of our template, but my concern would be how to implement the payment pages as these are largely out of our control. Rich - any comments on any of this? Thanks, Matt

Personally I'd guess the first 2 parts of that sentence increased turnover more than the mobile website, and also that's taken over a how long? A year? A lot of different factors come into play once you speculate over a year.

I'm not saying that m-commerce isn't important, just that stats like that should be taken with a pinch of salt. Mobile Bluepark is coming after the API anyway so we'll soon see.

The thing that stops you doing a responsive template on Bluepark is the fact that it uses tables within the template, I think this needs addressing anyway to allow easier custom design.

I would like to inform people in general that I would not get hung up on this issue, I have overseen the deployment of a mobile website that, that actually lowered the conversion rate of mobile browsers from 1.95% to 0.79% I believe they are a gimmick, if your website renders to a decent extent on phones and the users journey from start to finish can still be achieved, do not waste your time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb123 View Post
    The thing that stops you doing a responsive template on Bluepark is the fact that it uses tables within the template, I think this needs addressing anyway to allow easier custom design.

I would like to inform people in general that I would not get hung up on this issue, I have overseen the deployment of a mobile website that, that actually lowered the conversion rate of mobile browsers from 1.95% to 0.79% I believe they are a gimmick, if your website renders to a decent extent on phones and the users journey from start to finish can still be achieved, do not waste your time and money.
    I'd agree with this except for the basket/checkout pages. I find that these are exceptionally easier to navigate on a mobile phone on sites that have been optimised for mobile phones.

The basket/checkout pages are also the pages where we can't do anything at all without Bluepark making the changes themselves.