Thread: Another email from Google - Action Required: Update Your Google Shopping Product Data

Default Another email from Google - Action Required: Update Your Google Shopping Product Data

I have just received an email from Google after submitting my lasest feed, I am not sure if everyone will get this but as I sell Apparel then I think it says I need to add in all of the sizes. At the moment I just download the info via the link that was given to us by Bluepark with the click on a button but I am not sure what I have to do - do I need to add another field in for the variants? It also says I need to add the age group (everyone 10+ needs pants and bras) and gender?? And then how do I specify the Target Country?? Please also bear in mind I am really not all that tech savvy...

They are not making it any easier, are they??

Hello,

Thank you for your participation in Google Shopping. We’re writing to let
    you know about some upcoming changes to the data requirements for the
    product listings you submit to Google Merchant Center. As we recently
    announced
    (http://googlecommerce.blogspot.com/2...redit-and.html),
    we’ve updated our international feed specifications to require additional
    data. These new requirements will align our global product feed
    specifications more closely and enable us to display better results to
    users.

An overview of these new requirements can be found at
    http://support.google.com/merchants/...answer=2886491

Advertisers who are using the Product Ads feed specification (detailed at
    http://support.google.com/merchants/...?answer=188479), will need
    to ensure that their product listings comply with the new Google Shopping
    feed requirements (linked to above). Previously, Google Shopping and
    Product Listing Ads had separate feed specifications. However, as part of
    this transition, we will require a unified feed specification for all of
    Google Shopping.

Based on a review of the product information you're currently submitting in
    your Google Merchant Center Account, xxxxxx, some of your products will be
    affected by these new data requirements. In particular, we found that your
    items are missing the following data:

Apparel Attributes

Target Country:United Kingdom

Starting in March, we’ll gradually verify that all product data submitted
    to Google Merchant Center meets the new requirements for the specific
    target country. Products missing required data will not be processed and
    the products will not appear in Google Shopping
    . To avoid disruption to
    your product listings, please update your product data to include all
    required attributes.
    Below, we’ve included more information on how to
    resolve these issues:

Apparel Attributes: In order to create a better experience for product
    variants such as dresses or shoes that are available in multiple colours or
    sizes, we ask you to include information such as 'size' and 'colour' for
    your products. In addition, we require you to provide 'gender' and 'age
    group'. More information on submitting clothing products can be found at
    http://support.google.com/merchants/...?answer=188494 as well as
    our clothing overview page at
    http://support.google.com/merchants/...answer=1347943

Apparel attributes will become required in the UK, Germany, France, and
    Japan on April 17.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact us at
    http://support.google.com/merchants/...hopping_update

Yours sincerely,

The Google Shopping Team

© Google Ireland Ltd., Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland
    Registered in Dublin, Ireland
    Registration Number: 368047
    You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you
    about important changes to your Google Merchant Center account.

We got the same email and all we have is a few socks! My immediate reaction is Bollxxcks to google, I'm sure a few products missing from G shopping won't make much difference, bit ova bugger if you have lots of clothing (apparel in google speak)
    John Ayres

Yeah, I've got 1000 clothing listings and a total 14,000 products including the variables.

The email does imply that your listings will still be shown if you have no ad running and the variables are correct though.....

I don't think your products will show at all if you have no ad paid for, a lot of our product keywords are already showing page one bids of £1.50 and up, completely uneconomic.
    John Ayres

Yes, still showing so I am going to chance it for now and keep on uploading the feed, I've got my VAT return and annual accounts to get done but 1000 items and each one needing an ad..... I really am too small a company for that kind of money. Last time I checked they wanted £6.50 suggested cpc bid for the keyword 'bra'. Ho hum. We've been here before but I really do not have that kind of money, I think that Google are going to become greedy over this - on average there are min 200 visits to the site so that would be 200 x 25p (min cpc) so that is £50 a day in adwords with no guarantee of a sale. My industry is just too competitive and the profit margins too small, for me it is not going to work.

I'll be honest and say when my stuff stops showing I am heading over to eBay, I have already decided - worldwide exposure on the biggest shopping site, plus, all the eBay stuff shows on Google shopping and for just £15 for a 'shop' and 10p per month, per item...... it's a no brainer really. Let's be honest. It'll take me a week to get done but needs must and all that!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkypie View Post
    I really am too small a company for that kind of money. Last time I checked they wanted £6.50 suggested cpc bid for the keyword 'bra'. Ho hum.
    Unless you have very deep pockets you should never bid on generic keywords such as "bras", that will never be economic (as John suggests) for the micro business, longer tail keywords might work and be better value, but you are correct, this does mark the the end (on Google) for the small business that works on slim margins and eBay would probably be a better choice.

Google is there to make money for Google and it's stockholders at the end of the day.

Unfortunately the Internet is the ultimate competitive market and there is ALWAYS someone who is prepared to make a lower margin than you. As a manufacturer / brand owner this is brilliant ( you can squeeze retailers' margins until the pips squeak) and it is the ultimate cheap route to market. But as a retailer competing with others, you are screwed in the long run. You may be able to make a living for now but you will never dominate, it's impossible. Barriers to entry are zero. Anyone can copy you. It's a frightening thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Unfortunately the Internet is the ultimate competitive market and there is ALWAYS someone who is prepared to make a lower margin than you. As a manufacturer / brand owner this is brilliant ( you can squeeze retailers' margins until the pips squeak) and it is the ultimate cheap route to market. But as a retailer competing with others, you are screwed in the long run. You may be able to make a living for now but you will never dominate, it's impossible. Barriers to entry are zero. Anyone can copy you. It's a frightening thought.
    Yes I was pondering on this yesterday when I was speaking to a manufacturer about being able to purchase their products cheaper from a retail website than wholesale from them. I can't make head nor tail of some of the things which go on, but as you say, very good news if you are a manufacturer and can get people working their socks off, flogging your gear at a loss

Paws that sounds way to familiar When ever I get a rep come into see me I always web search what they are selling while they natter. When they present their trade price to me I just turn round the monitor if there is a retail web site showing cheaper than they offer me!
    Very rude of me I know but it really does cut to the chase. Either their price drops like a stone or they stop wasting time for both of us!

I had a similar email from Google yesterday saying that I needed product identifiers - 90% of my stuff is handmade so doesn't have MPNs, GTINs, Brands (although I could just stick Blooming Felt in for the brand). I've already got an exemption - does this not count anymore ??

Quote Originally Posted by SarahT View Post
    I had a similar email from Google yesterday saying that I needed product identifiers - 90% of my stuff is handmade so doesn't have MPNs, GTINs, Brands (although I could just stick Blooming Felt in for the brand). I've already got an exemption - does this not count anymore ??
    Use Blooming Felt as your brand. Copy your SKUs to your MPNs and you now have the 2 out of 3 identifiers as per their requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahT View Post
    Just email google and they will apply the exemption.
    Gerard

http://www.caressa.co.uk

10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13