Thread: Looking to launch on the 1st July

Default Looking to launch on the 1st July

Hi we are looking to launch our website on the 1st July, fingers crossed (we are still doing the final tweaks, adding a postage rate section to the rotating banner, restructuring and adding the final few products and adding the payment configuration etc).

Any comments or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

http://bp235.betapark.co.uk/

Regards
    Jeff

Bit Purple! difficult to see the products for the glare.
    John Ayres

I'd have the slideshow images linking to relevant categories - I kept clicking on it, expecting it to lead somewhere

Good luck with the launch

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Bit Purple! difficult to see the products for the glare.
    Much to purple for me also! Apart from this all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettycool View Post
    Much to purple for me also! Apart from this all is good.
    I third that
    Thanks

JamiQ's online

15% for BlueParkers - bluepark001

On your product pages I would move the SHORT DESCRIPTION to the ADDITIONAL content field.

You can do this en masse using the CSV Export/Import. Take a Complete Backup first.

Put your business address on the Contact Us page.

On the Contact us page, move the right hand margin block to the left hand margin. Also, make sure your hover link font size for that block is the same link font size. The "Policies and Procedures" link changes position/size when you place your cursor over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    On your product pages I would move the SHORT DESCRIPTION to the ADDITIONAL content field.

You can do this en masse using the CSV Export/Import. Take a Complete Backup first.

On the Contact us page, move the right hand margin block to the left hand margin. Also, make sure your hover link font size for that block is the same link font size. The "Policies and Procedures" link changes position/size when you place your cursor over it.
    Hi, thank you for your replies, very much appreciated.

Regarding the above, being a complete novice, CSV Import/Export and even going as far as backing up the site is over my head at present.
    I really need an idiots guide that explains things in plain English eg. if you do this it changes this in that field/area but not here or 1 + 2 = 3.
    Sorry to be so Dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Onestopcookery View Post
    Hi, thank you for your replies, very much appreciated.

Regarding the above, being a complete novice, CSV Import/Export and even going as far as backing up the site is over my head at present.
    I really need an idiots guide that explains things in plain English eg. if you do this it changes this in that field/area but not here or 1 + 2 = 3.
    Sorry to be so Dumb
    I'll reply more fully tonight with full instrcutions when I have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    I'll reply more fully tonight with full instrcutions when I have more time.

Thanks for that, look forward to hearing from you this evening.

Jeff

I don't mind the purple
    Steve.
    Knowing my luck, the day that my boat comes in -- I'll be at the airport!
    www.designerpicturemounts.com Photo mounts, Heart Shaped Mounts, and many other Shaped Photo Mounts

bluepark10 -10%

You have "Account sign in" in the bar above your slideshow ...

I also think the balance of your home page would be better with the slideshow immediately under your nav bar, and put the "Hello and Welcome" stuff under the slideshow.

Good luck!

Hi Jeff
    You've got the font Segoe Print specified in a few areas, I don't think this will be visible unless it's installed on your PC as don't think it's a system font?
    Anyway, the navigation isn't very legible for me, I've attached a screenshot, also the rollover text on your dropdown is a different font.

temp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by shelleym View Post
    Hi Jeff
    You've got the font Segoe Print specified in a few areas, I don't think this will be visible unless it's installed on your PC as don't think it's a system font?
    Anyway, the navigation isn't very legible for me, I've attached a screenshot, also the rollover text on your dropdown is a different font.

temp.jpg

Thanks for pointing out the difference in font, it doesn't look like that on my PC will have to have a chat to the boss about that.

Regards
    Jeff

Thanks for that, look forward to hearing from you this evening.

Jeff

We want to copy(move) the Short Description field into the Additional Content field for all of your products.

We can achieve this by using the Import/Export CSV facility.

This is very powerful, so before doing any sort of change using the CSV Import facility, always always take a full back up of your products.

Backup

1. Catalogue / Product Export Data.
    2. Click on the "Complete Export" template.
    3. Click on the grey/silver icon with the white down arrow (Export to CSV file).
    4. Then click on the green CSV/Excel icon in the centre of the screen.
    5. At the pop up prompt, SAVE the file to your PC (you can rename it before saving to something meaningful e.g. backup-20130624.csv - make sure it is saved as a CSV file).

Export SHORT DESCRIPTION field (to be copied to ADDITIONAL CONTENT field).

2. Click on the green cross icon("Create New") to create a brand new template.
    3. Call it "Short Description".
    4. Against the SKU field select Column A. Against the Short Description field select Column B.
    5. SAVE the template.
    5. Then click on the green CSV/Excel icon in the centre of the screen.
    6. At the pop up prompt, SAVE the file to your PC (you can rename it before saving to something meaningful e.g. short-desc-20130624.csv - make sure it is saved as a CSV file).

Add Blank Column to CSV File.

1. In Excel open up the CSV File (short-desc-20130624.csv) and add a Title of "Blank field" as the header of Column C. Leave everything else as it is.
    2. SAVE the CSV file. Make sure its CSV and not XLS.
    3. This will have the effect of adding a comma after Column B, in effect creating a blank Column C.

Import SHORT DESCRIPTION into the ADDITIONAL CONTENT field.

1. Catalogue / Product Import Data.
    3. Call it "Additional Content".
    4. Against the SKU field select Column A. Against the Additional Content field select Column B (this holds the exported data from the Short Description field).
    5. Against the Short Description field select Column C (blank).
    6. SAVE the template.
    7. Locate the short-desc-20130624.csv CSV file that you have previously created and edited.
    8. Then press the GO button.
    9. You will be presented with an "Import Product Data Preview" window showing what you are going to Import. If you are happy, click on the "Continue Import" button. If you are unsure or not happy, click on the "Cancel Import" (it won't do any updates).
    10. If you did import the data, you will receive a confirmation at the top of the screen of the number of rows the import has updated.

That's it !

Hi, sorry I didn't get back to you last night something cropped up that could not be put off. I have started to have a look at your instructions, Catalogue/export product data takes me into the export manager however there isn't anything in there no templates showing at all.
    Regards
    Jeff

Hi, sorry I didn't get back to you last night something cropped up that could not be put off. I have started to have a look at your instructions, Catalogue/export product data takes me into the export manager however there isn't anything in there no templates showing at all.
    Regards
    Jeff
    The older versions of Bluepark sites used to have a "Complete Import" and "Complete Export" template as standard.

You can create one yourself.

Complete Export Template

3. Call it "Complete Export".
    4. Click the Green Plus sign at the top right. This will select ALL the fields and assign them to their respective Columns.
    5. SAVE the template.

Complete Import Template

1. Catalogue / Product Import Data.
    3. Call it "Complete Import".
    4. Click the Green Plus sign at the top right. This will select ALL the fields and assign them to their respective Columns.
    5. SAVE the template.

Hi, All done, thanks for that Red Devil, your instructions were very clear and concise and made the job simple.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Good luck with the launch - always scary, but definitely worth it...

The only things I would say is that, in my opinion, there is a little too much purple but that is just my personal taste. Also I can't see an obvious link to delivery details, a privacy policy or a contact phone number, and the home link on the navigation bar wasn't that obvious to me. As Shelley pointed out, I can also see the different font on the rollover text on your dropdown. As I understand it, you also want to be careful with the font that you use, because if it isn't a generally recognised (web-safe) font, it won't show up on other PC's/devices as you expect it to - there's a good article about it at http://www.newbiewebsitedesign.com/b...web-safe-fonts.

Hope that helps.

Kerry