Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Site Update

Default Mobile Site Update

Hello,

You mentioned earlier in the year that a mobile template may be an option some time in the 2nd half of the year. We are shortly to launch a mobile site for our waterpark. It is possible to purchase tickets by clicking through to our existing bluepark site but it is a bit clumsy given the rest of the mobile site is quite clear and concise and would be great for our customers to have, we're getting massive growth in access via mobile device and we get lots of customers book tickets online on the day of visit or just before while they are on holiday.

Is there any update on this?

Kind regards, thanks,
    Jackie

www.splashdownwaterparks.co.uk

I think the release of the API is No.1 priority at the moment. Until this is finished I don't think we are going to see any new updates. Hopefully it should be finished soon.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Les78 View Post
    I think the release of the API is No.1 priority at the moment. Until this is finished I don't think we are going to see any new updates. Hopefully it should be finished soon.

Ian
    I second that feeling!

I know API is a huge deal for some people but I want the "general" updates back. API this...API that...Bah Humbug!

With the continuing growth in mobile search etc I would hope that the mobile site is now fairly high on the priorities list.
    Gill

Quote Originally Posted by Gillf View Post
    With the continuing growth in mobile search etc I would hope that the mobile site is now fairly high on the priorities list.
    Better than that, the project's already been started.

It will be the next significant release.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

www.order-flowers.co.uk

Please give us a follow on Google+ We'll follow you back

yippeeeeeeee !! I was only discussing the importance of mobile sites with someone today

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Better than that, the project's already been started.

It will be the next significant release.
    Brilliant
    Gill

Quote Originally Posted by SarahT View Post
    yippeeeeeeee !! I was only discussing the importance of mobile sites with someone today

We've had 5 days without broadband, so attempted to do things on mobile. Well, threw the damn thing in the fire. Why would anyone want to do anything on a tiny screen which takes years to upload? Tablets rule. Yes, I know Google can't tell difference between mobile/tablets etc. But seriously, do people actually attempt to purchase off sites using mobiles? They have more patience than me. I'd go back to High Street if that was all there was!

Quote Originally Posted by PartyGirl View Post
    We've had 5 days without broadband, so attempted to do things on mobile. Well, threw the damn thing in the fire. Why would anyone want to do anything on a tiny screen which takes years to upload? Tablets rule. Yes, I know Google can't tell difference between mobile/tablets etc. But seriously, do people actually attempt to purchase off sites using mobiles? They have more patience than me. I'd go back to High Street if that was all there was!
    I use my mobile within Wifi so yes, people do use them for buying. Although I agree that I wouldn't do that using cellular data as it's way too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by PartyGirl View Post
    A dedicated mobile site will load a lot faster than the normal site, however I agree I'd never use one to buy. Also from what I have read average purchase value from a mobile is way lower than tablet or pc. I just hope that tablets will be showing the full site.
    Regards

Neil.

This will be an "opt in" feature, rather than "opt out". Also, I don't class tablets as mobile. This update will be specifically for small screens - the issue is readability without having to zoom, that's the goal.

However, many no mistake - the mobile version will be vastly simplified, that's the price you pay. A whole load of content has to go, and you're left with just the essentials.

Did I read it or dream it? That often people will often browse on a mobile and then buy later on tablet or PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Did I read it or dream it? That often people will often browse on a mobile and then buy later on tablet or PC?
    We are getting about 10% of our sales via mobile but at a lower conversion rate.
    Gerard

http://www.caressa.co.uk

10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13

so how will it work then ? We'll still have our normal site that people use on laptops etc but if they look at our site on a mobile it will automatically show them the mobile version ? We won't have to have 2 separate sites will we ?

I've noticed that in google webmaster it now shows crawl stats and errors specifically for smartphones (of which we seem to have a few presently) shows how important mobile is becoming?
    www.order-flowers.co.uk

Please give us a follow on Google+ We'll follow you back

We get a regular amount of customers phoning to place an order having seen the product on their mobile, but they find it difficult to order for various reasons via the mobile. I guess a few must place the order later off a tablet or pc and I guess there must also be some who don't bother ordering at all. Of the orders we know about, the value is actually slightly higher than the site average.
    Gill

Quote Originally Posted by SarahT View Post
    so how will it work then ? We'll still have our normal site that people use on laptops etc but if they look at our site on a mobile it will automatically show them the mobile version ? We won't have to have 2 separate sites will we ?
    I imagine it will be a predefined mobile template which will use the existing category structure together with your content fields. I doubt there will be much scope for design and the layout will be fairly rigid. I expect it will be easy to implement if you are using BP as intended without too much obscure code in the content fields. That's my guess anyway!

So why cant we get a Responsive site instead of cut down mobile version ?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    So why cant we get a Responsive site instead of cut down mobile version ?
    In short, responsive sites are very difficult to build and maintain. A site must be designed to be responsive from the very beginning. The site owner/maintainer and any content creators then need to work within various stringent constraints to keep it so.

Because our system is used by a very diverse range of clients, in very different ways, it wouldn’t lend itself so well to a responsive design that automatically works for everyone. In fact, it would be impossible to achieve.

We will be creating a mobile version, but using as much of the "full site" content as possible – i.e. turning off the left and right columns, permitting the use of a mobile-specific template, mobile-specific layouts so that you can control which blocks are displayed on mobiles, and possible alternate "mobile content" fields within pages, categories and products as well (for when "full site" content simply won’t work on a smaller screen – such as a wide table, or something that can’t be reduced in size).

There's no magic wand to create a responsive site template. It's a complete redesign and rebuild along with a strict set of rules to keep it that way.