Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Site Update

Will the mobile site be an "opt in" option for us BP folk or will it automatically revert to the mobile site if a device is detected as a mobile device?
    thanks.
    Kim

Hi Kim

I'm sure I've seen that it will be opt in
    www.order-flowers.co.uk

Please give us a follow on Google+ We'll follow you back

OK, thanks for that.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's no magic wand to create a responsive site template. It's a complete redesign and rebuild along with a strict set of rules to keep it that way.
    To be totally frank if its not responsive then it is a waste of time. Most people do not use a "mobile site" as the information is so limited. In tests we have seen that customers are more happy with the "classic" version and will spend more time and are more likely to convert.

We will not be using it on our sites.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg View Post
    To be totally frank if its not responsive then it is a waste of time. Most people do not use a "mobile site" as the information is so limited. In tests we have seen that customers are more happy with the "classic" version and will spend more time and are more likely to convert.

I'm not a huge fan of mobile sites either, but I think we can make it very functional. The mobile version will effectively be a "forced responsive" template, turning off the side columns, the images will resize to fit, forms will be adapted to a single column instead of having the field name on the side.

The idea behind this is not to create a separate codebase for mobile, simply to adapt what's already there and force it into the correct format. The only thing this won't work for is page content where the site owner has created fixed-width content that cannot be adapted. This is why we'll provide some alternate content fields that can be used if this is the case.

I would reserve judgement - see what you think when it's done. All of the functionality and, depending on the site in question, most of the site content should be usable. Obviously, side columns have to go - but that's why we'll provide a separate mobile layout, allowing you to incorporate what are usually side blocks in the central column.

A mobile optimised template for small screens is the #1 requested feature for Bluepark. We simply can't ignore it, nothing gets more requests than this.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Was this an A/B test? Or are you talking about a funnel where browsers from mobiles revert to the classic version, and then checkout?

Which web software did you run your mobile site on, and how different was the look and feel?

After tweaking a few things like icons our conversion rate on mobiles jumped up for the last month and was higher than for tablets and not much less than desktops, but I think a properly optimised site will do better as on other parameters mobiles performed worse.

I think it is up to us to make the user experience on both look similar - Rich has pointed out why you cannot expect a template based software offering to offer responsive design and cater for all requirements. There are no doubt lots of alternative providers who will do everything you want but I suspect the price tag will be in 5 or 6 figures.
    Gerard

http://www.caressa.co.uk

10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13

Will this custom mobile version also include Tablets ?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Will this custom mobile version also include Tablets ?
    No, I don't think it should. The issue is with small screens and making content readable without zooming in, tablets don't have that problem.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

I am really looking forward to this. I find mobile sites on phones (not tablets) really useful.

Our testing was on multiple sites on various platforms, using A/B testing where possible. People browse on mobile but the conversion rate is very low compared to a classic template.

my option for what it's worth is that people are hooked on the thought that a mobile site will be some form of magical solution similar to the API that only a few have even looked at despite demanding it for the past year.
    Chris

paypal doesn't give option to pay by card on their mobile version customer sent me a screenshot the other day and another phoned me about this.

Conversion might be low for mobile, but it's where people spend hours browsing I believe? (Not me of course I can barely see the screen.)

Hopefully they will then remember us to come back later and buy on another device.

Our testing was on multiple sites on various platforms, using A/B testing where possible. People browse on mobile but the conversion rate is very low compared to a classic template.
    Had an info email about this come through this am, for those whose mobile sites accept payments by 'wallets' the conversion rate is considerably higher than those that expect the customer to input their card details.

I expect the type product also comes into play as well tho, some are more suitable for mobile sales.
    Regards

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    No, I don't think it should. The issue is with small screens and making content readable without zooming in, tablets don't have that problem.
    Good, I think my website works fine on a tablet as it is

It's a horses for courses thing I would imagine, for us flowers sell well on mobile devices and this will be a great addition for us, however if we sold say bathrooms I would think you'd see little instant benefit, though you could see mobile visitors returning to purchase via desktop.....
    www.order-flowers.co.uk

Paypal does allow payments from mobile and this would need to be included
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rijam View Post
    Paypal does allow payments from mobile and this would need to be included
    Yes but the option to pay by card is missing from the screenshot I saw - just option to pay with account or open an account

Gerard

http://www.caressa.co.uk

10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13

Any update on the mobile sites Rich?
    www.order-flowers.co.uk

I have to say i'm not a fan of mobile sites, I think if you are looking at a site on a phone it will be a smart phone. If you are using a smartphone or tablet then you can zoom in and out anyway. If I hear a good reason for using it then great, i'm all ears. I know when I have tried it on another site sales drop off. Take a look at www.crosscamping.com (normal) or www.which-tent.co.uk (mobile) and see what you think. (do not think about using the cart supplier though, i'm sure I will move away from them soon to have all my sites with BP)
    Cheers
    Gary