Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Site Update

http://mashable.com/2014/02/25/pc-mo...line-shopping/

Mobile Stats from The US - I imagine the UK will be similar.
    Regards

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg View Post
    To be totally frank if its not responsive then it is a waste of time. Most people do not use a "mobile site" as the information is so limited.
    I disagree with this.

Information is limited on both responsive AND dedicated mobile sites - or at least it should be. After all, a proper responsive site doesn't just move the side col down below the main content and make the fonts large - there should be a lot more thought put into what will be left in and what will be taken out.

It should be a more lean and focused user experience for the simple reason that people typically browse the web on mobiles in different ways to how they browse on computers. Not just the obvious stuff like using a thumb on a smaller screen, but in other ways. For instance, often they are 'on the go' so the context in which they are browsing your site is different. They are more likely to be stood up. They are more likely to be in a hurry. They just want to do what needs to be done as quickly as possible. Limited information is not a problem. Insufficient information would be the problem. And that's where careful choice of content comes in.

I know there has traditionally been a certain psychological barrier about 'missing out on the true site' with mobile sites, but this is fast changing as many big sites switch to mobile-optimised sites, be they responsive versions of the main site or separate sites.

What's more, I am curious to know how exactly you propose BP implement a responsive site for everybody, given that we are all using ready-made or custom-made templates on our sites. As far as I can tell, what you are proposing is just not possible. As I see it, Rich has taken the right approach with this.

Mobile sites i'm sure are great for places to eat, as mentioned above maybe florists and information websites such as travel etc. If you have products with lots of info, videos etc I don't think they work. If you have a tablet then the main site is better, if you have a mobile phone and you want to purchase online its going to be a smart phone and no doubt a good one so the main site again will work fine, if you have a basic smart phone then even a mobile site will not be worth using.
    I feel mobile sites (other than the sites I mentioned above) are to late, smartphones are getting smarter and with bigger screens all the time and also cheaper and cheaper. I have just got my 14 year old daughter a Moto G which is amazing and with the zoom features (again will only get better) 99% of main sites are great. Again I will say sites like the ones I mentioned above and magazine sites etc may work better on a mobile site but do not confuse a good e commerce site with basic info sites.
    I have tried both and two years ago I was shouting for a mobile version on the other system I use, now due to the lack of sales when I have the mobile site switched on I switch off the mobile version. In fact i'm just doing another little test between two camping sites I have and again the mobile version is not as good. Take a look, www.crosscamping.com (full site) www.which-tent.co.uk (mobile) www.fixedgearbicycles.co.uk (full) and of course my BP site www.inflatabletentsonline.co.uk See which ones look best and which you would purchase through.

There is a very good article in this month internet retailing magazine.

The big guys are designing for tablet use, not pc or mobile.
    Regards

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There is a very good article in this month internet retailing magazine.

The big guys are designing for tablet use, not pc or mobile.
    When oap's like ourselves finally get a tablet, which we have done, then I guess almost everyone's using one!

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    When oap's like ourselves finally get a tablet, which we have done, then I guess almost everyone's using one!
    Too true, my fathers household is PC free - 2 ipads, airprint printers, wifi connected for music and smart TV's. Not bad for 67 year olds.
    Regards

Neil.

This is what I mean... Most people use tablets at home and mobiles are getting better and better so no need for a mobile site. Yes our admin areas are telling us people are ordering on mobiles but this doesn't mean they need a mobile site to do this.

Just my 2p's worth,
    mobile sites are very important and not very important relevant to customer demographics, one persons opinion is fairly moot, also statistics are based on a very broad base of users.
    If your customer base is trade and they're predominantly mobile and mobile users, coupled with the fact you've seen and experienced their habits and processes, then no amount of ill informed posturing will convince you otherwise, mobile site might be important to you... right up until it isn't.

"horses for courses" and "proof of the pudding" seems to cover it...
    Don't follow me on Twitter - You have been warned.

I think this depends on what you are selling, to us a mobile site would not be desired as our product pages have lots of information on that is very relevant to the purchase that I wouldn't want to be shortened or taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by swg View Post
    I think this depends on what you are selling, to us a mobile site would not be desired as our product pages have lots of information on that is very relevant to the purchase that I wouldn't want to be shortened or taken away.
    without knowing your product range (a link would help), that sounds like "if my sales increased I'd resent it" ... I like it

This is our biggest seller (we have some that are even more complicated)
    http://www.swgreenhouses.co.uk/halls...m-popular.html

We have to amend lots of orders as it is and that is with everything explained, I can't see how this would lend itself to mobile ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by swg View Post
    This is our biggest seller (we have some that are even more complicated)
    http://www.swgreenhouses.co.uk/halls...m-popular.html

We have to amend lots of orders as it is and that is with everything explained, I can't see how this would lend itself to mobile ordering.
    wow, good point then, fairly unique but then so is the customer base, I would never consider searching or buying a greenhouse (keen gardener) on a mobile, so I'd warrant it would be a "so what" in your case. As a showcase it might lend itself, who knows?, as it won't effect ipads and tablets I think you're still sitting pretty (operative, nice presentation) either way.
    Last edited by AdrianRobinson; 02-03-2014 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    This is what I mean... Most people use tablets at home and mobiles are getting better and better so no need for a mobile site.
    Remember people are still more likely to be carrying their mobile with them than their tablet when they are out-and-about, and people very much need the internet on it. Yes mobiles are getting better and better - faster, sharper text, better rendering engines, and so on. But the largest mobile screen is still 'mobile sized' (if it wasn't, then by definition it wouldn't be a mobile!) So there are a number of fundamental constraints to consider for mobile browsing: (1) reduced screen size, (2) Less precise pointing device (ie. our sausage fingers!), and (3) the different ways and contexts in which people use the internet while on the move. There is also (4) that download speeds are likely to be slower, and (5) users' bandwidth is likely to be more limited. These last two may be temporary but, for the foreseeable future, remain an issue.

So as site owners and developers we should ask ourselves questions like, is it ideal forcing users to zoom in on a page just to read text or make a purchase? Is horizontal scrolling anything other than a right royal pain? Is that tabbed box still the best way to present all this content or is it now clumsy and a bit pointless when swiping down could achieve the same thing more easily? Is that side column still working when people are zoomed in or would it be better to simply move it to below (or above) the main content? Is that sliding banner on the homepage really necessary for mobile users or can we strip it out and save them a few MB and a few additional seconds? Does that hover sub-menu still work correctly on all hover-less mobile devices (answer: probably not all of them) or would a 'tap to slide down' device (or tap to anchor point on the page) be more convenient? What about the image gallery plugin? And those Add to cart buttons - they're fine when you have the precision of a mouse cursor, but try directing a user's finger onto the clickable area without zooming. Harder still for normal text links within paragraphs, or text links that are too close to other text links.

These are just a few reasons why I believe it's a mistake to serve up a desktop site to mobile users. Yes you can get around it, but it's clumsy. As I mentioned before, it's only the vague sense that we are somehow missing out on the full caboodle that makes us want "the full site". But I sense that this mindset is changing and there is not really such a thing as "the full site", particularly for those sites that are increasingly designed first for mobiles then added-to for larger and larger screens (a good way to prioritise content from the start).

It may be that some sites - particularly those involving large purchases - are less suited to mobile users, but that's because they're less suited to mobile environments. When you're planning on buying a TV, you generally want to be in a distraction-free environment where you can sit and study at length before you commit. You probably won't do it when you're stood at the bus stop. On the other hand, if you sell greeting cards or flowers or spare parts, you really are going to have to accept that more and more of your customers are making these purchases on a mobile. And if your competitors start offering a more comfortable user experience for mobile users (a larger 'tap area' for links, no zooming needed, no horizontal scrolling, no merchant's vanity graphics and banners, etc), then they may well have a distinct advantage over you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    then they may well have a distinct advantage over you.
    Particularly if they have a Mobile oriented site years before you do,, just look how much it has cost Morrisons because they said Internet shopping for Groceries will never work.
    John Ayres

With regards to responsive sites, it is worth keeping in mind that the likes of John Lewis, Tesco.com et al have dedicated mobile sites. These guys are some of the biggest and most succesful ecommerce retailers out there and are not short of a few bob when it comes to websites. Surely that fact that they have mobile sites over single responsive sites is not worth discounting as "waste of time".

Is there any update on small screen integration?

I'm happy to say that we're currently on target for a release around the end of this month. I think everyone will be very pleased with the results.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Thanks Rich - looking forward to seeing it.

Excellent news, Rich Thank you.

Nice one, well done mate. Look forward to it.