Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mobile Site Update

Cheers Richard,
    you're pleased... a good start
    Don't follow me on Twitter - You have been warned.

Hi people and Rich...lol
    After being a bit vocal on here about mobile sites and not liking them I have to say I have done a 180 on this, I now see them as a good thing. I think its because my other website with another supplier had a mobile site option and it was crap and to be fair a lot of mobile sites I had checked out were pretty poor. I know I have moaned in the past about my other supplier (and I love BP) but they have come up trumps with the new responsive site/template. Take a look at www.crosscamping.com If the BP mobile site is as good, happy days.
    Gary
    www.inflatabletentsonline.co.uk BP
    www.crosscamping.com BC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Hi people and Rich...lol
    After being a bit vocal on here about mobile sites and not liking them I have to say I have done a 180 on this, I now see them as a good thing. I think its because my other website with another supplier had a mobile site option and it was crap and to be fair a lot of mobile sites I had checked out were pretty poor. I know I have moaned in the past about my other supplier (and I love BP) but they have come up trumps with the new responsive site/template. Take a look at www.crosscamping.com If the BP mobile site is as good, happy days.
    Gary
    www.inflatabletentsonline.co.uk BP
    www.crosscamping.com BC
    Hi Gary

From the look of things, what they have done with that Cross Camping site is created a responsive template/theme that adapts to different screen sizes.

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong folks), that is different to what BP are currently working on which is a separate mobile version of BP-powered websites. This mobile version will, I expect, be a very stripped-back and basic design that will look pretty much the same for everyone's website, but the advantage is that it will be available to everyone.

It won't be a responsive version of our current designs, which is entirely understandable given that each of our websites uses its own design. There is no easy one-button way to make all individual designs responsive and respond to screen size changes in the way that the Cross Camping one does - that's something that can only really be done on a site-by-site (or rather, template-by-template) basis. And when I say template, I mean overall template - ie. the one served up to mobile AND desktop.

That said, I suppose it's not out of the question that BP may be able to create some new responsive templates in the future (or perhaps make one or two existing templates responsive), but it depends how much tinkering they can get away with without risking problems to existing BP sites. Either way, it would then only be available to people who have selected it as their overall design template and not further customised it with fixed pixel widths, etc.

(Incidentally, I don't know how practical it is to create a responsive BP template at present. Have any designers here tried it?)

For now though, the advantage to the approach being taken by BP is that a mobile optimised version of BP websites will be available as an instant option for everyone, which is good news.

Steve

Good article here on why responsive website designs are better for mobile SEO

http://searchenginewatch.com/article...e-SEO-Strategy
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Good article here on why responsive website designs are better for mobile SEO

http://searchenginewatch.com/article...e-SEO-Strategy
    An interesting article certainly. My jury is still out whether the cost of getting a responsive site designed is worth it or not. Depending on how the BP mobile site is going to work, it may not be. The key point in the article seems to me to be the dual site thing where Google indexes a mobile AND a normal site where you have an http://m.mysite.com and a http://www.mysite.com for example. However, if the solution being proposed detects a browser platform and displays the correct template (and all the content but laid out in a way more suited to a mobile device), then to me, that is a reponsive as another other responsive site and still doesn't have two URLs.

Rich - would you be able to answer a couple of questions?

1. Will the mobile site run at a different URL (e.g. http://m.mybpsite.com) and the user will get redirected depending on their device or does the device get detected and a suitable template used (i.e. the URL remains the same)?
    2. Will all the content displayed on the normal template be displayed on the mobile template or will the mobile site be just a picture, title and buy it related stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by emj View Post
    An interesting article certainly. My jury is still out whether the cost of getting a responsive site designed is worth it or not. Depending on how the BP mobile site is going to work, it may not be. The key point in the article seems to me to be the dual site thing where Google indexes a mobile AND a normal site where you have an http://m.mysite.com and a http://www.mysite.com for example. However, if the solution being proposed detects a browser platform and displays the correct template (and all the content but laid out in a way more suited to a mobile device), then to me, that is a reponsive as another other responsive site and still doesn't have two URLs.

Rich - would you be able to answer a couple of questions?

1. Will the mobile site run at a different URL (e.g. http://m.mybpsite.com) and the user will get redirected depending on their device or does the device get detected and a suitable template used (i.e. the URL remains the same)?
    2. Will all the content displayed on the normal template be displayed on the mobile template or will the mobile site be just a picture, title and buy it related stuff?
    To be clear, we're not developing a separate mobile site or a separate mobile template. The site's page URLs will not change at all.

I would call what we're doing "forced responsive", i.e. our system turns off columns and rearranges content for small screens. The scale is corrected so that text is readable and navigation is altered to suit the format.

You will be able to nominate ANY template as the site's mobile template, but whether it looks okay or not will depend on how it's been built. If you don't select a mobile template, nothing will effectively change.

To get started easily, you'll be able to designate the Bluepark Glass template (which has a range of colour schemes available) as your mobile template.

Having looked at the BC version, I think ours is just as good if not better (I prefer ours). Ours is certainly significantly faster. Also, I wasn't able to zoom in on any images.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Having looked at the BC version, I think ours is just as good if not better (I prefer ours). Ours is certainly significantly faster. Also, I wasn't able to zoom in on any images.
    You would say that tho Rich . It sounds good, Im looking forward to seeing what it can do.
    Chris

Hi Rich
    I hope you didn't mind me bringing up the BC responsive thing but it was because I have been turned around 100% into thinking mobile sites are ok now, strange how I can change so easily. Anyway, what you are doing sounds very different, I can't wait to see what you have done.
    Im still a bigger fan of BP than BC by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Hi Rich
    I hope you didn't mind me bringing up the BC responsive thing but it was because I have been turned around 100% into thinking mobile sites are ok now, strange how I can change so easily. Anyway, what you are doing sounds very different, I can't wait to see what you have done.
    Im still a bigger fan of BP than BC by the way...
    I used to be pretty anti-mobile-sites as well. I don't think it's us that's changed, I think it's mobile sites themselves. They're far better and more useable than they used to be, the quality bar has been raised very high. That's what we're aiming for with our update.

Thanks for clarifying, Rich. Also, just to say...

You will be able to nominate ANY template as the site's mobile template
    ^^ This is very cool!

Responsive seems to be the way forward and this "forced responsive" seems to be exactly what a responsive website does.

One question that I have is what payment gateways can be used for taking payment on mobiles?

At present the main one I am using is not responsive although they keep saying it will come. I know that Paypal works but costs more than getting people to use the other provider. I know that many people on mobile devices like to use a "wallet" such as Paypal but any sale that can be processed via the normal channels keeps money out of Paypal's pocket and in ours.

I'm happy to say that we're currently on target for a release around the end of this month. I think everyone will be very pleased with the results.
    Rich

Sorry to pester but do you have any update on this?

Ian

I am watching with bated breath how this is going to work as it may be the deciding factor to jump aboard the Bluepark train. Sad to see that there has been no update to this. Hopefully we will have one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    I am watching with bated breath how this is going to work as it may be the deciding factor to jump aboard the Bluepark train. Sad to see that there has been no update to this. Hopefully we will have one soon.
    It's a beautiful thing, probably days away from release. Trust me, it will be worth the wait.

Oooooooooooooooh. Nirvana is coming, the mystic portal awaits.