Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTO order for returning customers without account

Default MOTO order for returning customers without account

I've taken an increasing number of phone orders recently, from existing customers that haven't created an account.

If they do have an account, you can take an order in no time at all, as their billing and delivery addresses are already on the system.

However I haven't found a quick way of using the info from previous orders if the customer hasn't created an account, and irritatingly if copy a portion of the address, and right click on an address field in the MOTO screen, it doesn't bring up the options list to allow me to paste (I usually use keyboard shortcuts, but these need two hands and I'm using one for the phone)

Is there something I'm missing here?

Yes - don't use guest checkout!!
    Regards

Neil.

I've also encountered this problem! Would love a solution (that doesn't involve removing guest checkout).

At the moment I've explained to customers that we do not store any personal information if they do not have an account, and I can create an account for them for future use, some agree, some don't.

It tends to not be a massive issue if you politely & subtly get across the fact it's their fault for not wanting an account.

I have my store set to create an automatic account - it doesn't give people an option, they put their info in and a random password is generated which is automatically sent to the customer and they can change to something else themselves. In all these years I've never had a complaint about this way of operating. It also means customers automatically earn loyalty points too which is an advantage.

To change your settings it is Site > Configuration > Order > (half way down) User Accounts > Generate Automatically

We use automated accounts, the customer can choose if they want to be contacted or not, but the account info is always there as history or for future orders, MOTO allows it when you change the email, tick box appears to create an account, customer none the wiser, you are only saving data you would anyway.

Works very well.

As for extra hands - what about a headset?
    Graham
    Fields of Blue Group
    Fields of Blue - Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Fields of Blue View Post
    We use automated accounts, the customer can choose if they want to be contacted or not, but the account info is always there as history or for future orders, MOTO allows it when you change the email, tick box appears to create an account, customer none the wiser, you are only saving data you would anyway.

Works very well.

As for extra hands - what about a headset?
    Oh good grief, I have always avoided using the MOTO button because it didn't create a customer account. I have never noticed that box appear when I put the email address in. Hooray, no more scribbling on bits of paper!

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Overland View Post
    (I usually use keyboard shortcuts, but these need two hands and I'm using one for the phone)

Is there something I'm missing here?

Try holding the phone with your shoulder
    Thanks

JamiQ's online

15% for BlueParkers - bluepark001

Quote Originally Posted by Work-wearUK View Post
    Try holding the phone with your shoulder
    Or a headset!
    Chris

Headsets are great for taking orders.

I'm personally not a fan of turning guest accounts off & having automatic accounts created. Some customers who are very picky about purchasing online realise what's going on when there's no guest account option.

We also get a lot of guest orders, & we even get people calling to place orders over the phone saying "I didn't want to create an account online!"

So we'll be keeping guest checkout for now, although I know all customer bases/markets are different, so each to their own...

This whole area needs looking at in my oppinion. I hate the random password as its impossible to remember. I don't like a separate button for guest checkout.

What I think works best in ecommerce is the 'enter a password to create an account with your details' method. If this feature could be set as Disabled, Optional or Mandatory it would negate the need for guest checkout as a separate feature and satisfy all merchants as well as getting rid of the random password issue.

I'd be interested to hear Richard's view.

I can't see why people get funny about creating an account... When you order from places like Argos etc online you have no choice but to create an account. If you order again it saves you reentering all your details again.
    As others have said the customer can always opt out of communications so they won't get any sales emails if that's what worries them.
    I use automatic account creation and think it saves a lot of time.

I find conversation rates go up with Guest Checkout enabled. But it really does depend on what you're selling, how many repeat customers etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
    I can't see why people get funny about creating an account... When you order from places like Argos etc online you have no choice but to create an account. If you order again it saves you reentering all your details again.
    As others have said the customer can always opt out of communications so they won't get any sales emails if that's what worries them.
    I use automatic account creation and think it saves a lot of time.
    I just wrote a more lengthy reply but my computer crashed so luckily for everyone this will be more concise!

The main issue is that people trust Argos, and they know that if they provide them with their email address, telephone number etc, it won't be used for spam or sold to other companies.

With guest checkouts, customers seem to believe they operate differently from creating an account, almost like their details aren't added to a "customer list", obviously as business owners we know this isn't true, but it's a nice illusion for customers.

There's also the fact that you can't actually tell that you can "opt out of marketing" until near the end of the checkout process, whereas the decision to make a guest checkout is on the first page.

Anyway I think it's a debate with many views and as Greg has said, depends massively on the target customers & market.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    This whole area needs looking at in my oppinion. I hate the random password as its impossible to remember. I don't like a separate button for guest checkout.

What I think works best in ecommerce is the 'enter a password to create an account with your details' method. If this feature could be set as Disabled, Optional or Mandatory it would negate the need for guest checkout as a separate feature and satisfy all merchants as well as getting rid of the random password issue.

I'd be interested to hear Richard's view.
    100% agree here, would love to see this implemented.

Agreed our conversion rate also increased with guest checkout, nowadays order are about 50/50 account and guest checkout.

We will provide more checkout customisations in a future update, including creating an account just by optionally supplying a password on the first page. We won't remove the existing options as there are benefits to both, as pointed out above. You will then be able to choose the option you prefer for your customers. There is no "one checkout to rule them all" as I know different merchants like different things.

As an online buyer, I've experienced my different types of checkout. If I want to buy something, very little will stop me unless it's actually not working or my payment details won't be accepted. I recently bailed out of paying a customs charge to Royal Mail online because the payment system was literally broken, amazing for such a large company. I had to go down to the depot and wasn't impressed!
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Good to hear Rich - I would love to be able to move the Guest Checkout button above the 'I am a new customer' etc selectors.

personally I don't think creating an account is a trust issue , it is more that I just cant be bothered. There is a sigma with creating an account that it is going to take long than it does. In truth i takes about 20 seconds longer to type to passwords in. If you had a trust issue with a site you wouldn't purchase from them anyway.
    Thanks

JamiQ's online

15% for BlueParkers - bluepark001

We have automatic account creation and have only had one or two people ask to be removed. We word the account creation email to say we have created an account purely to service their order and allocate their loyalty points. If they wish to have their account deleted once their order is complete then please email us and we will do so. We also stress that it does not sign them up to any mailing list or anything other than to manage their order.

Quote Originally Posted by Work-wearUK View Post
    personally I don't think creating an account is a trust issue , it is more that I just cant be bothered. There is a sigma with creating an account that it is going to take long than it does. In truth i takes about 20 seconds longer to type to passwords in. If you had a trust issue with a site you wouldn't purchase from them anyway.
    100% agree. I even can't be bothered to do accounts myself even though you would still have to enter address details etc. Just a head thing.