Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: google product reviews

It looks like Google has dropped all rich snippets (for organic results) - not good. The preview in Webmaster Tools is showing it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by greggrant View Post
    It looks like Google has dropped all rich snippets (for organic results) - not good. The preview in Webmaster Tools is showing it correctly.
    I think this was always inevitable. There was no way to reliably police whether reviews were genuine or not, many site owners (not Blueparkers!) will have been cheating just to get the stars in the listings.

This is why we stick to product reviews, in terms of our built-in features. When it comes to reviews of a company, only independent review sites hold any weight.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I think this was always inevitable. There was no way to reliably police whether reviews were genuine or not, many site owners (not Blueparkers!) will have been cheating just to get the stars in the listings.

This is why we stick to product reviews, in terms of our built-in features. When it comes to reviews of a company, only independent review sites hold any weight.
    While I don't disagree with that it is annoying that Webmaster Tools shows it working perfectly and they've not only removed the ratings but all the other rich snippets info as well!

I found this whilst searching...
    "the search engine [google] has no way to verify that real customers wrote the reviews."
    surely the question then from Google is prove it? or prove to Google your data is supplied from customers who purchased, an absolute setting that doesn't allow reviews to 'list' other than by customer's who purchased
    (as in our settings?) seems the way forward, then putting the host case to Google.

to be fair I was chuckling hysterically when I wrote this... so we'll leave it as a ridiculous scenario, "where gateways win, and economies fall".
    Don't follow me on Twitter - You have been warned.

Should really give you the full...
    -------------------------
    #TTSBAlamo
    Dear Google
    So once again I'm tasked with a personal challenge to Google, I've better things to do and and any victory is a bitter one, but irrespective of size when they cross the line of acceptable behaviour and affect our independent business then the course for action is limited so must boil down to a 'personal tasking'.

what is the issue?, "reviews and star ratings", many will know my disdain and distrust of the review and star rating when they were presented as qualifying media in the search engines, to the point that we held back for years before entering into it because the ability to abuse the function was obvious, it's almost comical that the main pariah of this function were the merchant gateways, that soon realized that by clumping low ratings, medium ratings and high ratings the 'average' would be high and every possible keyword or phrase would be catered for. Allowing this clumped review rating to even appear in search results was morally wrong because independent shops and businesses could never hope to compete with such a vast number of clumped reviews, so independents would always lose in the game of 'sublime traffic gathering'. The fact that rating abuse was an obvious by-product of the review rating function, then there is no human alive that can convince me that, with all Google's human and technology resources they were unaware this happened/happens and so the only conclusion is 'collusion'.

I would sit amazed at the arrogance of Google but it's not the first time this has happened in the harnessing of traffic, it wasn't long after youtube opened up that we saw what could only be described as poorly made 'home video's' of product types, in a slideshow format, being mass produced and saturating (hundreds of thousands, hidden between millions) the platform, all made from the same region in the USA, all linking to the Amazon merchant gateway. 'stupid' is believing it wouldn't be picked up on by the 'watchers' and they were left on there to run, whilst Google penalized the genuine with inaccurate and often tenuous links to it's 'policy'.

So here I stand, in my little Alamo which I'll hastag #TTBSAlamo (almost sound like I have a hang of Social media), where success is a failure but success is a win for independents and economic infrastructure. This might seem like a long walk from the issue but every day I drive past closed businesses and services that people are all too keen to blame on the 'bankers' or the internet, the truth is independents struggling to address centralization (which moved from a 'low use' practice to saturation) looked to the internet to offer their services to a wider business audience, in a attempt to retain a working level of turnover and protect jobs. It would always be difficult to explain to the world how the practice of mass centralization destroys infrastructure which in turn will destroy those who practice it, and how the ripple effects everybody, will it happen?, I'm confident that it will continue to without education, you only have to look at the historical principle of commerce to understand that if it could be controlled by a few it would've been by done now, it can't because it needs to work at every level or it doesn't work at all, conditions dictate that not people.

So 'Play your part' Google or 'play it out', your petulance is your own to keep in check. My demand is simple, reinstall our ratings 'immediately' or remove all ratings from adwords and search 'immediately' to avoid this turning into another escalation, justice is the latter anything less is this post being revisited many times over by many people.
    Best regards
    Adrian Robinson
    Don't follow me on Twitter - You have been warned.

Unbelievable - all the meta data including reviews and stars are back on a Google. But how long will it last?

yes mine are back too

It's strange, our rich snippets never disappeared from google search results.
    However, in Webmaster Tools, the structured data count hit the floor three days ago. As of yesterday, it too has recovered.

This must be what playing Russian Google Roulette is like...
    Bloobry -10% code: BP10