Thread: Customer put in wrong delivery address

Default Customer put in wrong delivery address

Evening everyone

I just thought I would post to get some advice. We had a customer who placed an order late one evening, we despatched the item the next day before 12 midday for next day delivery, only to be contacted by the customer to advise us that the delivery address was wrong. Instead of it being an address in Edinburgh it was meant to go to London. I told the customer I would try and intercept the parcel, which I tried to do and was told by the courier it had been stopped at Birmingham and would then be redirected, unfortunately it did end up in Edinburgh (at the parents-in-laws address). To cut a long story short, I've spent most of today on the phone to the courier trying to get it recollected and delivered to London tomorrow (the customer needs it before the weekend). Alas, it all didn't go to plan and the couriers let me down, they can now only collect tomorrow and deliver Monday. To be honest it's very close to Christmas and they are very busy. However the customer does not sympathise with this neither does she appreciate the time and effort I have spent trying to rectify the situation, she even blames our system for changing the address! she now wants us to pay for another next day delivery which we have declined to do .

I feel I have done as much as I can to help, should I continue to sort this situation out and pay for another (more expensive) next day delivery or leave the customer to make her own arrangements?

Any advice will be gratefully received,
    Laura

www.looptheloop.co.uk

Hi Laura,

Whenever you try to put a situation like this right it always gets worse.

I think it's very simple - the customer made a mistake. If they want to re-order at their expense let them, and refund the original item when they return it.

Their mistake, not yours.

Contracts have two sides. You have honoured yours - and more.

If the customer is so unreasonable as to not accept their own error nothing you do will make things better. So as said above you have done your bit and more. Leave it at that.
    Gill

We had something similar but our customer was understanding and accepted it was their error - they had used a Welsh address instead of a London one. When this kind of thing happens we refer them to their order confirmation email which shows the address they input when ordering. In the Language Manager we got the email to say something on the lines of this is the address exactly as you have input it on our website, we don't verify it's accuracy so please check it below and advise us immediately if you notice an error. Once a parcel has been dispatched we are unable to rectify any mistakes in your delivery address.

In your example you've done everything you can, so if they need their product by the weekend then they will have to place another order and pay for express delivery. Once the first parcel is returned they will get their refund.

Quote Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
    We had something similar but our customer was understanding and accepted it was their error - they had used a Welsh address instead of a London one. When this kind of thing happens we refer them to their order confirmation email which shows the address they input when ordering. In the Language Manager we got the email to say something on the lines of this is the address exactly as you have input it on our website, we don't verify it's accuracy so please check it below and advise us immediately if you notice an error. Once a parcel has been dispatched we are unable to rectify any mistakes in your delivery address.

In your example you've done everything you can, so if they need their product by the weekend then they will have to place another order and pay for express delivery. Once the first parcel is returned they will get their refund.

That's really helpful, I think we'll add something along those lines to our email confirmations in case this happens again,

Many thanks

As others have said - you have done everything you could, and more than a lot of people would have done in order to try and rectify the CUSTOMERS MISTAKE. It always amazes me how quick these people are to criticise, and deny any part in things when it goes wrong - and especially when it is all down to them in the first place. You spent a great deal of time with this one customer, personally, I would do no more, and let them sort it out themselves. In cases like this - no matter what you do, you will never win - and no matter how much time you spend on it - it won't be enough - so, quit now, and get on with whatever else you have to see to at this very busy time

Customers - can't be doing with em - Cant do without em lol
    Terry
    Terry

Even if they cancel under the DSR's they still have to pay the return postage as its not faulty and not an error on your part.

I've won several Pay-Pal disputes due to customers errors with their addresses and not changing them after they have moved (3 times in one instance), so don't fret about it and get on with Christmas.

Just tell the customer they can cancel under the DSR's and that they must pay the return (signed for only) postage and theyll probably change their mind when they realise how much it'll cost to return it, especially from Scotland.
    Dave

www.thecartridgekingdom.co.uk - For all your inkjet & laser toner cartridges.
    www.designedbyfitzy.co.uk - Personalised clothing for all your needs, personal & business, Sign Making/Writing for both office & company vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by PC-Tronics View Post
    Even if they cancel under the DSR's they still have to pay the return postage as its not faulty and not an error on your part.
    It's worth pointing out that this is only correct if it's in your T&Cs.

Just to point out, if you are using PayPal this happens an awful lot - it does with us anyway. Whenever we spot an order that has been paid for with PayPal and has two different addresses we ALWAYS send an email to ask which is correct, 9 times out of 10 they wanted the billing as the shipping address but for some reason it ends up switched around. Not sure how or why this happens though.

Quote Originally Posted by adamnorgan View Post
    Evening everyone

I just thought I would post to get some advice. We had a customer who placed an order late one evening, we despatched the item the next day before 12 midday for next day delivery, only to be contacted by the customer to advise us that the delivery address was wrong. Instead of it being an address in Edinburgh it was meant to go to London. I told the customer I would try and intercept the parcel, which I tried to do and was told by the courier it had been stopped at Birmingham and would then be redirected, unfortunately it did end up in Edinburgh (at the parents-in-laws address). To cut a long story short, I've spent most of today on the phone to the courier trying to get it recollected and delivered to London tomorrow (the customer needs it before the weekend). Alas, it all didn't go to plan and the couriers let me down, they can now only collect tomorrow and deliver Monday. To be honest it's very close to Christmas and they are very busy. However the customer does not sympathise with this neither does she appreciate the time and effort I have spent trying to rectify the situation, she even blames our system for changing the address! she now wants us to pay for another next day delivery which we have declined to do .

I feel I have done as much as I can to help, should I continue to sort this situation out and pay for another (more expensive) next day delivery or leave the customer to make her own arrangements?

Any advice will be gratefully received,
    Laura

www.looptheloop.co.uk

This is so unfair of the customer. It makes me so mad that we do our very best to get parcels out quickly but nothing is ever good enough. I have in the past taken the cost of another delivery myself to avoid any negative reviews even though it was not my fault.
    http://www.cakestandland.co.uk