Thread: Offering Paypal as well as SagePay card payments, but with surcharge

Default Offering Paypal as well as SagePay card payments, but with surcharge

This is a bit of a log shot, and I'm keeping expectations low... but

Is there any way we can add Paypal as a payment option (currently only SagePay), but apply a surcharge to these Paypal orders to help cover the high Paypal charges?

I've had this in my mind for months, and after a customer email this morning (echoing my thoughts exactly, pasted in below) I'm prompted to pursue the idea.
    I shop on-line a lot myself, and often chose a Paypal payment option for speed and ease of form filling. If several suppliers are selling the same item at the same price I'll usually go for one with a Paypal option.

It's a difficult one, as it would not be easy for me to find out how many additional orders we're getting as a result of offering Paypal, but I'm certain it would increase sales.

Subject: Feedback
    I have just bought an item from your site as you were the only UK supplier I could find.
    I am more than satisfied with the stuff I have had from you in the past its all top notch, however as a general rule I will try and buy elsewhere first not because I have an issue with you or the site simply because of not being able to use Paypal as a payment option straight of the page. Just thought I would let you know. I accept that there may be very good reasons for that and its not my business, I just thought to let you know.

This from the PP T&Cs:

You agree that you will only surcharge for the use of PayPal in compliance with any law applicable to you. You further agree that if you do charge a buyer any form of surcharge that you, and not PayPal, will inform the buyer of the requested charge. PayPal has no liability to any buyer where you have failed to inform the buyer of any surcharge. You acknowledge that if you are permitted to surcharge and your further fail to disclose any form of surcharge to a buyer this may constitute a criminal offence by you.

And here are the UK regs!
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tions-2012.pdf

I look at PP as an extra sales incentive (as per the email from your customer) and swallow the slightly higher charges.

Right, well I don't really feel I'm much the wiser. But thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Are they basically saying, don't hide the presence of surcharges from the customer?

I've seen several websites, that have a surcharge for credit cards, and no charge for debit cards. For example the DVLA website.
    Is this the same kind of thing?

For the time being I'll assume there is no way of doing what I'm asking about through Bluepark, but I'd like to make my wishes known to the Bluepark programming guru's in case it's considered as a future feature.

Yes, it's basically saying that you can surcharge but that the surcharge can't be any higher than the actual cost incurred. I can't think of any way to implement this in BP - I'm sure someone else will advise if they have researched/attempted/succeeded in this.

with sage pay, its easy to add a surcharge if you want to - e.g for debit and credit cards - but never looked into it for PP. I tried my best to avoid paypal being a payment option on my site, but I kept getting pestered by PayPal to do it. So, I eventually gave in - and I have to say, a fair percentage of people do pay by Paypal now on my website…I too just absorb the little extra
    Terry
    Terry

That's encouraging, I'll try contacting SagePay to see what they say.

But I think I'm right in saying that BP recommend if you're using Paypal, you do it through the BP system rather than Sagepay?
    I'm sure there are differences in how the site works, depending on whether you implement Paypal through Sagepay or BP.

I've just been told that as we're using direct integration, the surcharge stuff would need to be arranged by BP rather than Sagepay :-(

I had doubts about Paypal given the cost but I think it has proven worthwhile. I think ability to make repeat purchases without entering your card details over and over again helps. Unless your margins are very very tight I think a surcharge might be counter-productive
    Gerard

http://www.caressa.co.uk

10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13

If there were a surcharge I wouldn't use it (I always opt for debit rather than credit if surcharge is being charged on credit).

If others think like me then it kind of defeats the purpose of offering paypal in the first place?

I posed this question to my customer and he said he'd be happy to pay 2% for the ease of using Paypal. Everyone is different I guess, with different priorities about cost saving, security (or perceived security) etc.

In fact in an ideal world most of our customers would chose card payment, but the few that really prefer Paypal would pay that extra few quid and have that option available to them.

Ah well maybe that's just me then - I like to keep the moths in my purse

We offer customers both options and to be honest we just suck up any extra paypal payments cost, on our products it's pennies to be fair and it's worth it to get a customer on board for repeat orders. I imagine that if your selling big ticket items then it'd be a serious consideration but even then 2% would be a small price to pay to gain a new customer? Especially considering how much it costs to get someone to look at your site these days, ppc, seo etc etc.
    www.order-flowers.co.uk

Please give us a follow on Google+ We'll follow you back

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Overland View Post
    I posed this question to my customer and he said he'd be happy to pay 2% for the ease of using Paypal. Everyone is different I guess, with different priorities about cost saving, security (or perceived security) etc.

In fact in an ideal world most of our customers would chose card payment, but the few that really prefer Paypal would pay that extra few quid and have that option available to them.
    I'd be careful judging all of your customers on this one, I know that some PayPal users hate being charged extra for being PayPal users, if that makes sense.

Some would leave your site & never return, depends how much you want those browsers converted to customers.

If there is a time when I am advised there would be a surcharge, I always use a different payment method - e.g a charge for using Credit card, would make me use my debit card instead. I I was on a site, and it indicated that to sue a credit, debit or paypal payment, that there would be any kind of surcharge, I would leave the site and find what I wanted elsewhere.

And, as the only way we can pay online is by card or paypal, then I feel it is unfair to charge a surcharge. In a bricks and mortar shop, at least you have the choice - if a surcharge is being made, you can pay by cash etc.
    Terry

Well for the arrangement I'm trying to implement, there would be the choice. Either Paypal with surcharge, or debit/credit card (or bank transfer, or cheque) with no surcharge.
    As we also have a physical shop, there is also the choice to come & pay cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    If there were a surcharge I wouldn't use it (I always opt for debit rather than credit if surcharge is being charged on credit).

If others think like me then it kind of defeats the purpose of offering paypal in the first place?
    I'm with you on that