Thread: E-mail Manager - "Unsubscribe" Functionality

Question E-mail Manager - "Unsubscribe" Functionality

Hi all,

I would like to send out an e-mail to all of our customers informing them about a new set of promotions we are currently running.

At the bottom of the e-mail, I want to provide a link which gives our customers the opportunity to unsubscribe from the website mailing list. I have been testing this functionality out on a few e-mail addresses, but seem to be experiencing problems. Whenever I click the "Unsubscribe" link in the e-mail, I then reach a page which reads something along the lines of "the address abc@xyz.com has been unsubscribed".

However, if I try and send the same e-mail to the unsubscibed address again, the e-mail still sends and reaches the mail inbox for that address, when it shouldn't.

The link I am using is <a href="%unsubscribe">Unsubscribe Here</a>

When checking the user's details in the User Manager, the box is still checked to say that they "allow contact".

Another thing I have noticed is that, when I go out of the e-mail manager and return to it later on, a '/' seems to have been added to the 'Unsubscribe' link i.e. <a href="/%unsubscribe">Unsubscribe Here</a>. Obviously, when I try sending the e-mail out again, the unsubscribe link no longer works because of this forward slash which seems to have added itself to the code.

Any help or assistance with my queries would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Are you selecting a group of users to email, or are you uploading a CSV file of email addresses? The latter option will only generate an email to you, informing you that the customer wishes to be unsubscribed. If you send the email to your user database, then the action will be taken inside their account.

The forward slash is only added in the WYSIWYG editor, when the email is saved it is automatically stripped out. Switch out of Split Screen mode to have a look at the raw HTML code, you will see that the forward slash is not present.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for your help. This makes a lot more sense now. Before, I was importing the CSV file, which is what led to the confusion.

I fully understand how this works now though.

Thanks again!!!

Joe