Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SecureTrading - old platform to be decom'd, new platform not supported!

Exclamation SecureTrading - old platform to be decom'd, new platform not supported!

Whilst answering an unrelated query today a Secure Trading tech informed me that they have a new, more secure, platform. He also said,
    Plus, we also plan to decommission the legacy system that you are currently using in the near future.
    I'm waiting for a reply as to when the "near future" is, but this is all somewhat concerning, especially after he confirmed that Bluepark doesn't currently support the new platform.

So if they switch the old one off, and bluepark doesn't support the new one then all the bluepark sites that currently use Secure Trading are going to have an issue.

Can someone from Bluepark confirm they're aware of this and if they plan to update to the new platform.

Yes, we're aware of this and are planning to carry out the work. It's a completely new system, so it's a new integration that will need to be built from scratch.

They haven't given us a firm date either, please report back if you get one.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Rich,

When you are addressing this please can you look into different integration types with Secure Trading the payment pages aren't really ideal, because of that I had to use another provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    They haven't given us a firm date either, please report back if you get one.
    This is the latest info, so it looks like they'll just run the system down:
    Currently we are aiming for May the 30th, but there isn't going to be a large switch-off or anything. In honesty, I'm not sure exactly how it will happen but all we can do is keep requesting people to move across; all the new features we add go straight to the new platform, and slowly over time we would stop updating the old platform, but it will still run with very few servers.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb123 View Post
    look into different integration types with Secure Trading the payment pages aren't really ideal
    Not really sure what you mean by that? We've found secure trading fit's quite well as you can customise their payment pages to match your website, which is better than some other systems.

Quote Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
    Not really sure what you mean by that? We've found secure trading fit's quite well as you can customise their payment pages to match your website, which is better than some other systems.

By that I mean I am not a fan of diverting customers off site to take payment, there are a number of options that most payment gateway providers offer including embedded forms and alike that keep the customers onsite to take payment.

I see. Yes that would be preferable if the new platform gives that option...

Yes Secure Trading pages are currently pretty naff, I would welcome an improvement.
    Kim

So Rich, does the new system support integrated payment pages rather than off-site? And if there's a choice is that the choice you plan to go with?

I'm waiting for a reply as to when the "near future" is, but this is all somewhat concerning, especially after he confirmed that Bluepark doesn't currently support the new platform.
    I can confirm that the currently planned date is the end of May 2014, but this has moved previously and we will not leave our merchants with the inability to trade without plenty of warning.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb123 View Post
    By that I mean I am not a fan of diverting customers off site to take payment, there are a number of options that most payment gateway providers offer including embedded forms and alike that keep the customers onsite to take payment.
    Both systems have always had the ability to process transactions in this way, but this would involve you having your own Secure Server and becoming PCI compliant.

On the legacy system, this feature was XPay. On the new platform, you can utilise either STAPI or Webservices.

The only other method would be to utilise an iFrame option, which would still technically use Payment Pages behind the scenes, but would give the illusion to the customer that they are not being moved off your website.

Steve Kingman
    SecureTrading Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by ST Support View Post
    The only other method would be to utilise an iFrame option, which would still technically use Payment Pages behind the scenes, but would give the illusion to the customer that they are not being moved off your website.

Steve Kingman
    Picking up on the iframe option - many people have been pretty well trained to look for the https and the padlock symbol when determining whether a website is secure when entering payment details. BP, like many ecommerce platforms don't force SSL so if an SSL site was being accessed but in an iframe, then the https and the padlock is not going to show in the browser window. My question is how would you convince the customer that everything is secure?

I too use secure trading and am on the legacy system but have not received anything from them saying that the system is changing?? I have just been onto their website and can find no info on this apparent change that is happening. How are we supposed to know what we are to do? I currently have an i frame so that customers "think" they are still on our site and I also have an ssl certificate and am pci compliant or whatever it is called! My logic being that if I have everything available, then I must be covered for all eventualities! I am hoping that I dont have to start again from scratch just because secure trading are closing down a system. I am guessing that I will have to contact them to find out what is happening as I doubt that my definition of "plenty of warning" is the same as secure tradings!

It must be a sign of getting old because I hate change for changes sake!

Quote Originally Posted by CJB64 View Post
    I too use secure trading and am on the legacy system but have not received anything from them saying that the system is changing??
    I only found out because I raised a support request on an unrelated matter and the support guy happened to mention it... like you say, not great communication from them...

I only found out because I raised a support request on an unrelated matter and the support guy happened to mention it... like you say, not great communication from them...
    My experience with Secure Trading has always been good, but I too agree it doesn't really inspire confidence with what appears to be such a massive communications breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by CJB64 View Post
    I too use secure trading and am on the legacy system but have not received anything from them saying that the system is changing?? I have just been onto their website and can find no info on this apparent change that is happening. How are we supposed to know what we are to do? I currently have an i frame so that customers "think" they are still on our site and I also have an ssl certificate and am pci compliant or whatever it is called! My logic being that if I have everything available, then I must be covered for all eventualities! I am hoping that I dont have to start again from scratch just because secure trading are closing down a system. I am guessing that I will have to contact them to find out what is happening as I doubt that my definition of "plenty of warning" is the same as secure tradings!

It must be a sign of getting old because I hate change for changes sake!
    I too am on the legacy system. Have been for nearly two years now when I switched from WorldPay. They did mention when I signed up that the system would eventually be killed off but no timescale was given. They have been brilliant in every way, so I hope that the transition will be smooth and well communicated. So far they have not contacted me but I did notice their site change (who could miss it! with it's eye scorching new colours). As far as PCI compliance and ssl cert I don't think (though I may be wrong) that it will make any difference to those and hopefully Richard will make the transition side on BP smooth and worry free.
    Gill

Hi,

As my colleague mentions earlier in the thread, we will not leave our merchants with the inability to trade. Although we originally sent mailshots to all merchants and partners back in Febuary 2012 (a copy of this notification can be obtained by contacting Support team). There have also been various updates on the SecureTrading website about our new platform.

The decommissioning of the legacy platform is something that will not take place while we have merchants actively trading through it who have been unable to move for one reason or another as it is not and never has been our intention to prevent our clients from trading. We keep setting dates as a target to continue the communications with our merchants and partners that will enable to move.

Simon

A few hints on tips on communicating important information effectively:

1) Don't tell people something is going to happen in 2 years time (feb 2012? seriously?)- they have more important things to worry about and figure you'll remind them closer to the time, then will instantly forget about it
    2) Don't expect people to read it on your website - customers don't visit your website to check if the service is about to be replaced
    3) Don't hide it in a regular newsletter - nobody reads those
    4) Don't hide it on one of those slips of paper you shove in with the statements - nobody reads those either

ps. I just checked my email for feb 2012 (and 2013 in case it was a typo) and I don't see any notifications from SecureTrading...?

As per the Latest Updates page, this integration has now been done.

In terms of the iframe option, we decided not to pursue this yet with SecureTrading. As per their integration guide, the iframe option simply displays the exact same payment page as the customer would see off-site, i.e. it's not a simplified version with just the payment fields (it would look bizarre on a Bluepark checkout page, and also wouldn't fit).

Until they have an official iframe-ready version, this type of integration is not an option. I believe the CSS of the payment page can be customised, but this is really something that should be provided by the payment processor by default (and updated/maintained by them).
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

So presumably this just happens and we don't need to do anything at all?

Yes Im not clear either do we just click the new one in configuration as per the update info below or do we also need to speak to Secure Trading?

"SecureTrading upgraded their payment processor version some months ago, requiring a new Bluepark integration for compatibility. We have now integrated the new version which can be selected via Configuration: Payment tab. The new version is called SecureTrading Payment Pages, the old version has been renamed to SecureTrading (Legacy).

The old version will continue to work as normal for now, but SecureTrading are actively looking to migrate their customers to the new version. Please contact them for more information about this, should you wish to change to the new version now."

Can you clarify Rich? Many thanks.
    Kim