Thread: EU VAT Rates - Customers

Default EU VAT Rates - Customers

Morning all,

Quick VAT question regarding EU. I just noticed on another site that when you open an account, if you are in another EU country, you can enter your EU VAT number and the system recognises it. It gives you this info:

"EU companies (outside the UK) - Enter a valid VAT number and you will not be charged UK VAT. If no valid EU vat number is supplied, you will be charged VAT at the current UK rate."

Does the VAT system I will be using on BP do this or even achieve the same aim based on the customer address? I have it set to default [EU] at the moment, i.e., EU countries set to 20%.

The current system doesn't seem to ask for any business details, just personal details/ address etc.

The checkout asks for a VAT number in the Billing details section, I believe this takes UK VAT off if provided. I might be wrong here, I've never understood who gets charged VAT an who doesn't, I just know the way it's set up the boss doesn't complain, so it at least looks right!
    Analogue Seduction - Where music is our passion

Thanks Simon. Just followed through a test sale, and there was nowhere it asked for anything to do with company details, or with VAT, just billing address and option for alternative address.

Go to Configuration > Order and look for the VAT number field setting.

vat-screenshot.PNG

asking for VAT number is an checkbox option in Site > Configuration > Order. I believe that if you set it to Enabled/Automatic then it will only show if an EU country is detected and a company name has been provided.
    Joe

Brilliant, thank you. Was looking for that everywhere and couldn't see it for looking !!!!!! Both are now showing.

This leads me to the rest of my query, is the VAT number recognised in regards to what country it was issued, and VAT added/ not added accordingly?

Quote Originally Posted by B1uenose View Post
    Brilliant, thank you. Was looking for that everywhere and couldn't see it for looking !!!!!! Both are now showing.

This leads me to the rest of my query, is the VAT number recognised in regards to what country it was issued, and VAT added/ not added accordingly?
    Beware!

You have to be able to account for the VAT individually per transaction on a separate VAT return.

You need to check that each VAT number is valid and belongs to the person/business that is making the purchase.
    Chris

Thanks Chris. A bit more detail.

The company already have this function on their website and have had for 5 years, so they are up to speed with what they are doing. I just don't want to give them a backwards step on this revamp. Wouldn't be good if I wasn't able to implement the same level of service they currently have, on the VAT side.

At the moment, their system recognises inputted VAT numbers and they are charged/ not charged VAT accordingly. I suspect this system doesn't do that, but achieves the same aim using the address. I will send in a query to BP.

@Chrisg

"You need to check that each VAT number is valid and belongs to the person/business that is making the purchase".

I am trying to set this up now, do you know how?

Just to confirm for everyone how this works, Bluepark follows the EU VAT rules.

If you're in the UK and you're selling to a non-UK but EU country, and the company supplies their VAT number, they will not be charged VAT. If they are in the UK, then they will be charged VAT whether they supply a VAT number or not. If they are outside the EU, they will not be charged VAT.

VAT numbers are checked as valid VAT numbers, but the company name is not currently checked for a match.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions