Thread: Setting a Main Category for a Product

Default Setting a Main Category for a Product

Does anyone know if it's possible to set a main category for a product that is in two or more categories?

For example, as I sell books I have categories for Debut Fiction and for Contemporary Fiction. In the category hierarchy (for various reasons), Debut Fiction comes before Contemporary Fiction.

Many books will fit into both of these categories but if you search for a title and select it, the book will appear in the first category it's listed in, according to the category hierarchy. In this case, Debut rather than Contemporary.

And this is where the problem is: Debut is not a book genre, Contemporary is and that's where I'd like the book to be found as the result of a search.

Previous e-commerce software I've used has had a box to tick to select a main category for a product, but I can't see this feature anywhere in Bluepark.

Any help or advice with this will be most welcome,

Best wishes,

Geoff
    MSE Books - a great deal for collectors

Is it not as simple as changing their order in the category list? so that Contemporary comes above Debut?

Quote Originally Posted by B1uenose View Post
    Is it not as simple as changing their order in the category list? so that Contemporary comes above Debut?
    Thanks for the reply B1uenose, I'm afraid not.

In my shop, Debut is part of a 'collections' category group (if that's the right term). While Contemporary is part of a 'genre' group.

On the site's pages, the collections group is shown above the genre group. So altering the position of the categories, i.e. alphabetically, would not solve the problem in this case.

It really does surprise me that it doesn't seem possible to select a 'master' category for each product so that this is where it appears in a search.

Geoff