Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feature Request: Changes to "Customer Comments" Checkout Field

Default Feature Request: Changes to "Customer Comments" Checkout Field

Hey everyone, after speaking with a couple of Bluepark users, and reading semi-regular threads of people having the same problems, I've decided to post a feature request. I'll try to keep it short

Some of the problems I've heard about the customer comments field are

1. Field must be either on/off site wide, allowing all customers to leave comments, regardless of delivery method/country
    2. Field is too long for most couriers, if used as delivery instructions
    3. We can't communicate with customers at checkout what is/isn't acceptable as a request
    4. Customer comments aren't flagged in the order manager (like admin comments are)

Update suggestiions for Bluepark that would solve the above, and really improve the field in general

1. Option to choose what shipping methods the field will be active on; toggled on/off for each specific method in the Shipping Editor
    2. Ability to specify our own character limit for the field
    3. Add a custom tooltip (or placement text) for the field - warning customers of what is/isn't allowed (or we cannot be held responsible for lost orders, etc)
    4. Some sort of icon to flag orders in the Order Manager, similar to the current admin comments icon

Finally, entering the realms of Christmas list updates for ourselves, we would love the following option (but this would be more complicated for Bluepark, so speak up if you'd like this too ) would be the following:

• Switch the customer comments text field to a drop-down selection menu, as we would like to restrict customers to a short selection of locations for their parcel to be left
    • For example, Front Porch, Recycling Bin, Rear Porch, Garden Shed, etc - with no option for customer's to enter their own text

Apologies for the long post. But very interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the above, and your own comments & suggestions

Hi Thomas,

Some great suggestions there.

For my particular business, I would just like the icon to flag up the comments in the order manager, as I keep missing important information.

The drop down selection wouldn't work for us, as I don't want customers to have the option of asking for their parcels to be left anywhere, but it's probably different for everyone who just delivers within the UK and especially for low value items. All of our parcels go overseas, sometimes to some pretty obscure locations, so we always need to get a signature.

The only other thing I would really like in the order manager, (although this has nothing to do with customer comments), is to be able to mark/highlight orders that don't fit the standard pending or completed. I set up some new status icons for 'fraudulent' and 'replacement' but they have to permanently stay as pending for these to show. I'd like to be able to mark an order as cancelled or completed but still flag up if it was fraudulent or sent out free of charge as a replacement.

Yvonne
    www.expatessentials.com

+1 for the following

"Add a custom tooltip (or placement text) for the field - warning customers of what is/isn't allowed"

I simply need to be able to put my own text in the comments box, to warn customers a signature is required and we cannot leave without a signature, would be good to be able to put it in red!.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasMurray View Post
    1. Field must be either on/off site wide, allowing all customers to leave comments, regardless of delivery method/country
    2. Field is too long for most couriers, if used as delivery instructions
    3. We can't communicate with customers at checkout what is/isn't acceptable as a request
    4. Customer comments aren't flagged in the order manager (like admin comments are)
    This is a big thing for us to, we just want to be able to put some text on the page to say we can't leave things without a signature. But now you mention it...

2. Yes, we get this a lot, customers leaving long winded instructions which get chopped off on the courier label, and we have no way of telling them there is a length limit (see No 3!)
    3. Yes, that's exactly our problem
    4. This isn't a huge deal to us, but yes sometimes we do only see some comments at packing time when we could have done with seeing them earlier - so yes, useful if there was a flag on the order page as with admin comments or whatever.

• Switch the customer comments text field to a drop-down selection menu, as we would like to restrict customers to a short selection of locations for their parcel to be left
    • For example, Front Porch, Recycling Bin, Rear Porch, Garden Shed, etc - with no option for customer's to enter their own text

Apologies for the long post. But very interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the above, and your own comments & suggestions
    No, We have to disagree on this one. The one thing we don't want customers to put in the comments box is places to leave the parcel (we require a signature for all orders). The reason for the comment box (for us) is for the customer to put any helpful directions for hard to find locations (eg. "we're down the unmarked dirt road opposite the pub") or other allowable instructions (eg. "leave with neighbour if out", and quite a few times, "Do NOT leave with neighbours if out")

Quote Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
    No, We have to disagree on this one. The one thing we don't want customers to put in the comments box is places to leave the parcel (we require a signature for all orders). The reason for the comment box (for us) is for the customer to put any helpful directions for hard to find locations (eg. "we're down the unmarked dirt road opposite the pub") or other allowable instructions (eg. "leave with neighbour if out", and quite a few times, "Do NOT leave with neighbours if out")
    Sorry if my last request (which I can't see happening anyway) caused confusion. What I meant was that I'd personally like to see at some point the option for BP users to choose between a) delivery instructions, and b) somewhere for the package to be left

We personally would only use the instructions for Royal Mail SafePlace, to nominate somewhere that the parcel can be left, although I completely understand that more BP users will want the text field, and that is the clear priority here

Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post

The only other thing I would really like in the order manager, (although this has nothing to do with customer comments), is to be able to mark/highlight orders that don't fit the standard pending or completed. I set up some new status icons for 'fraudulent' and 'replacement' but they have to permanently stay as pending for these to show. I'd like to be able to mark an order as cancelled or completed but still flag up if it was fraudulent or sent out free of charge as a replacement.

Yvonne
    www.expatessentials.com
    You can complete an order & keep it showing as a pending order in the Order Manager using custom statuses, we have used it rarely in the past for orders that have been sent but we need to check something after dispatch.

In the specific customer status, tick the "prevent auto-completion" box, this means that when an order is paid for & shipped it will still appear with other pending orders, will that work? PM me if you can't find it

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the info and that's pretty much what I'm doing at the moment and the odd-bod orders are staying as pending, but what I'd ideally like to do is still mark them as completed or cancelled, but have some way of identifying orders that were non-standard, eg Cancelled-fraudulent or Completed-free replacement order.

I had hoped I could duplicate the cancelled and completed statuses, so I'd still get the functionality and then just add the relevant text to distinguish them from normal, but I can't see a way of accessing these, as they don't appear in the order statuses section.

In the scheme of things, it's probably no big deal, just a 'nice to have'.

The only thing I want is tooltips site wide on all fields, additions, options etc., I would also like to see the named day delivery option on the same page as the basket page, when a customer is selecting their delivery method, they can also choose the delivery day.

Default Dropdown List

It is possible to add a dropdown list at time of checkout. It's quite a faff and the result ends up as an "addition" to the order so can be a bit easy to overlook. I use it because I want to offer a preferred "day of the week" option and basically nobody who can read bothers to and the comments field just lets idiots type in stuff that is impossible to comply with.

The dropdown is basically a form which is called from an "all products" addition. As I said its a bit fussy so I've attached a screen shot of the setup for the addition. The form just contains a single "select" type field with the options you want to offer in it.

Not the ideal way to solve the problem -but at least a way.
    bluepark.jpg
    Sorry image is hooribly small and I can't see where to increase size - here is a dropbox
    link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nppuhl37hv...epark.png?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley View Post
    It is possible to add a dropdown list at time of checkout. It's quite a faff and the result ends up as an "addition" to the order so can be a bit easy to overlook. I use it because I want to offer a preferred "day of the week" option and basically nobody who can read bothers to and the comments field just lets idiots type in stuff that is impossible to comply with.

The dropdown is basically a form which is called from an "all products" addition. As I said its a bit fussy so I've attached a screen shot of the setup for the addition. The form just contains a single "select" type field with the options you want to offer in it.

bluepark.jpg
    Sorry image is hooribly small and I can't see where to increase size - here is a dropbox
    link

Thanks for taking the time to post the image Ian, but unfortunately that wouldn't work for us as we require the information to be exported to our dispatch software, and only the customer comments field is exported

Sorry I've ended up side-tracking this thread with my drop-down menu, when a few simple changes would be beneficial to all BP users that have customer comments enabled, including ourselves:

1: Character limit on field
    2: Custom tool-tip
    3: Choosing what shipping methods customer comments is active for

bluepark.jpg
    link

Thanks for that Ian.

It seems to work well, other than it shows the first item from the basket just above the form. Have I set it up wrong or is this the way it's supposed to work?

Thanks
    Chris

1: Character limit on field
    2: Custom tool-tip
    3: Choosing what shipping methods customer comments is active for
    If a tooltip is one of those question marks that pops up text when someone hovers over it I'm not sure that's much use. People only hover over them by accident or if they don't understand what the field is for. In this case they think they know what the field is for, so won't use the tootip, so we actually need some visible text to re-educate them.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.T. View Post
    Thanks for that Ian.

It seems to work well, other than it shows the first item from the basket just above the form. Have I set it up wrong or is this the way it's supposed to work?

Thanks
    Mine shows at the bottom of the page that comes up for address details on the checkout page. Did you tick the "first page of checkout" option?

Thanks for taking the time to post the image Ian, but unfortunately that wouldn't work for us as we require the information to be exported to our dispatch software, and only the customer comments field is exported
    Yeah. It's really only of any use if you are handling orders manually and it's easy to overlook even then. Just thought it might have some value for somebody.

Mine shows at the bottom of the page that comes up for address details on the checkout page. Did you tick the "first page of checkout" option?
    I have now, that's sorted it.

Many thanks for your help.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
    If a tooltip is one of those question marks that pops up text when someone hovers over it I'm not sure that's much use. People only hover over them by accident or if they don't understand what the field is for. In this case they think they know what the field is for, so won't use the tootip, so we actually need some visible text to re-educate them.
    Something like this?

diag-delivery-info-gold.jpg

Something like this?

diag-delivery-info-gold.jpg
    Yes that looks good, but I still think wording inside the box as well would work best, as people are more forced to read something they are about to type over in my opinion.
    Kim

Yes, just like that...

+1 from me.

Might be handy to have customisable wording - really hate those 'leave in blue bin' comments!
    Regards

Neil.

We'd need it to be html as well so we can adjust the size/colour etc.

And don't forget all the "chuck it over the fence" comments!