Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Major Discount Issue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    109

    Default Major Discount Issue

    Hi all,

    I am on the verge of having to move a client away from BP, and really don't want to, but there is a big problem with the discount system here that I can'f find an answer to, so this is a last ditch effort to find a workaround before I have to [reluctantly] move. It is also an issue for the 2 new websites we are currently building.

    We have a discount system set up for bulk buy, and the more you buy, the cheaper they are. This works perfect. For 1, it costs £10.50, for 10, it costs £6.50 each etc. The prices change etc and it shows up ok.

    We then have loyalty cards with customers, which we cant stop really as they have been going for years. these are set at either 10, 15 or 20%.

    When you use it, unfortunately with BP, it just adds the percentage to the bulk discount, and takes it off the original price. it doesnt take it off the cart, which is what we need it to do. I have just finished 3 weeks of looking into this and it seems all other systems [pretty much] can do this quite easily. But, those that do dont support ePDQ so we are stuck.

    WordPress etc do it all, so at the moment that is our only option, but really dont want to go there, although 99% certain we have no option. On our none ePDQ sites we are fine, there are many other options similiar to BP that support this discount system.

    Can anyone think of a workaround? I think i have looked at all options, but want to check if there is anything i haven't tried yet, hopefully allowing us to remain with BP and add our new sites too.
    Last edited by B1uenose; 11-11-2014 at 14:54.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Why not just change the loyalty card system to be based on BP's points system based to previous order spend.

    What some people see as a issue, may not be for others and at the end of the day BP can't please everyone.

    Once you start adding % discount upon % discount it is always going to be an issue in which order you start to apply them, hence I only allow one % discount per order. The rest are fixed price points on my site.
    Regards

    Neil.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Thanks Neil. We have visited changing the loyalty card system but there are hundreds of customers using it and it is mentioned on other websites etc, plus on literature, mouse mats just to name a few things. Costly process to change it all.

    I only think it is an issue because all the other places I have looked do it. Issue is not the right word to be fair. Its an issue for us obviously. It is a personal view, but being able to apply bulk purchase discount, and then remove 20% from the cart figure is pretty fundamental to me, in terms of ecommerce. Not having a go at BP, on the contrary, we are here because we like them.

    Will have to disagree with you on discount upon discount. Applying a discount for bulk purchase, then a seperate discount from the cart amount shouldnt by an issue IMHO. if it was, no one would offer it.

    Thanks for your response though mate, my search continues !!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    I do actually agree with you that bulk discounts is something that needs to be looked at, but the problem is that currently BP is not set up for offering this properly.

    There are 3 things that I'd like to see BP improve its product pricing by:

    A proper Bulk Pricing - Like you say the more of each item you buy the cheaper it is. (without resorting to the discount editor)

    A Visual Product Builder (probably incorporated into the addition manager similar to the radio buttons with images section here: http://codecanyon.net/item/woocommer...review/7908619

    The ability to purchase by area - such as sheet material

    The ability have the customer order to the box. So if I can get 1000g in a jar say of sweets, the customer can choose 10 x 100g items to fill the jar.
    Regards

    Neil.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Actually that was 4!!
    Regards

    Neil.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

    A proper Bulk Pricing - Like you say the more of each item you buy the cheaper it is. (without resorting to the discount editor)
    For me, maybe a little selfishly, this is a fundamental part of eCommerce. Also the ability to be able to take a percentage or a 'one off' amount from the final basket amount, separate to the bulk discount, totally fundamental. To be fair, from my last few weeks searching BP is the only product that doesn't supply this, from the top companies that is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    463

    Default

    I too would like to have the ability to apply a discount to the cart total, albeit for a different reason to you.

    We sell low value items in large numbers, our problem is that if we give a discount voucher of say 10% and a customer orders 1,000 items at 4p they would expect a £4.00 discount, but because the system tries to take 10% of the product price of 4p rounded to the nearest whole 1p the basket still charges 4p each rather than 3.6p each (£36 per 1,000).

    So I would also like to add my support to the idea of a basket total discount.
    Chris

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    401

    Default

    I have found the ability to do promotions on BP very restrictive. However I always bear in mind that the package costs only a few hundred pounds a year, a tiny fraction of some of the ones out there that don't have much more in the way of features, and substantially less than a lot of vendors would charge for making a one-off customisation or for annual support fees.

    Maybe it is time for a higher level package than enterprise park for larger businesses and those with more complex needs.
    Gerard

    http://www.caressa.co.uk


    10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    2,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R.O.T. View Post
    We sell low value items in large numbers, our problem is that if we give a discount voucher of say 10% and a customer orders 1,000 items at 4p they would expect a £4.00 discount, but because the system tries to take 10% of the product price of 4p rounded to the nearest whole 1p the basket still charges 4p each rather than 3.6p each (£36 per 1,000).
    Any rounding should always be done right at the end of the calculation.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Any rounding should always be done right at the end of the calculation.
    That's what I would have expected, but that doesn't seem to be the way it works unless I've totally misunderstood it.
    Chris

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Doesn't really help with the bulk discount of OP but off the top of my head is this rounding linked to the VAT per item/per line option (configuration:e-commerce options)? If you have it set as 'per item' it may be worth changing to 'per line' and seeing if this then works as you're expecting.
    Lisa

    www.digitalcolourservices.co.uk

    A top quality Professional Print Service for Artists and Photographers

    • Giclιe Printing • Canvas Printing • Custom Greetings Cards • Envelopes • Cellophanes • Invitations • Photo Gifts etc.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Thanks for the reply Lisa

    It is already set to "per line".

    Unless I'm missing something obvious there just doesn't seem to be anyway to offer an overall 10% discount code that works when the product prices are only a few pence each.
    Chris

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thinking about the original problem as described, how difficult would it be to include a new discount type in the Discount Manager that is simply a blanket reduction. Something like "Discount on basket/order total"? We're in the process of moving to BP from a different provider (who have been fine, but we think BP is going to be better) and, while BP is giving us features and functionality that our current solution doesn't, it's a bit of a pain having to work around this issue. We don't have many products on which we offer bulk-buy discounts, but there are a few and, at present, we can safely offer those and still do other promotions (10% off your order, etc.) without them messing up the bulk-buy pricing. In fact, it was only this morning while trying to set up our bulk-buy discounts in BP that I became aware of the problem - I had assumed that BP would just be able to do this since most other platforms seem to be able to do it.

    As I said, it's not a deal-breaker for us and, so far, we're really liking what we're seeing in BP, but I've been slightly surprised by this one.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    109

    Default

    @Adrainww, we are trying very hard to stay with BP, but fighting a losing battle because of this issue. Our 5 x websites that use the bulk buy, +a loyalty bonus system are struggling to work with BP. We have had to opt for Woo at the moment. A simple answer is to change the loyalty system our client has set up for their clients, but, with the website we are building on Woo right now, there are hundreds using the loyalty system, so too much to change unfortunately.

    We are also stuck though, because although Bigcommerce, Volusion, Shopify etc all provide what we need on the discount side, they dont support ePDQ, which we also need, hence having to go back to WordPress. Bummer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B1uenose View Post
    @Adrainww, we are trying very hard to stay with BP, but fighting a losing battle because of this issue. Our 5 x websites that use the bulk buy, +a loyalty bonus system are struggling to work with BP. We have had to opt for Woo at the moment. A simple answer is to change the loyalty system our client has set up for their clients, but, with the website we are building on Woo right now, there are hundreds using the loyalty system, so too much to change unfortunately.

    We are also stuck though, because although Bigcommerce, Volusion, Shopify etc all provide what we need on the discount side, they dont support ePDQ, which we also need, hence having to go back to WordPress. Bummer.
    Would changing the loyalty system to a points based one be cheaper than changing 5 web sites? it may be worth putting the pros and cons to your client - perhaps one of the hidden pros being that a change to the system might reactivate some lapsed customers.
    Gerard

    http://www.caressa.co.uk


    10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Its not so much the system that is the issue. Its more the fact that there are hundreds of customers. Not sure to be honest, they have looked at changing it and feel it will be too expensive. The discount on offer is around the web in a lot of places and they also have a lot of literature printed, that they use every day, which would also need to be changed. The site we are currently building is to do with Barclays, so you can imagine how many customers are involved and how much advertising has already been involved.

    Real shame. But hey, onwards and upwards !!!!!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrianww View Post
    Thinking about the original problem as described, how difficult would it be to include a new discount type in the Discount Manager that is simply a blanket reduction. Something like "Discount on basket/order total"? We're in the process of moving to BP from a different provider (who have been fine, but we think BP is going to be better) and, while BP is giving us features and functionality that our current solution doesn't, it's a bit of a pain having to work around this issue. We don't have many products on which we offer bulk-buy discounts, but there are a few and, at present, we can safely offer those and still do other promotions (10% off your order, etc.) without them messing up the bulk-buy pricing. In fact, it was only this morning while trying to set up our bulk-buy discounts in BP that I became aware of the problem - I had assumed that BP would just be able to do this since most other platforms seem to be able to do it.

    As I said, it's not a deal-breaker for us and, so far, we're really liking what we're seeing in BP, but I've been slightly surprised by this one.
    Hi Adrian. Just read your post again. Can I ask how you are working around it? If it is 1 x bulk discount on 1 x product, or, 1 price range, I can sort that out straight away. But if you have say 5 different bulk discount products, all with different prices (hence they need their own bulk discount), how are you getting around that, in terms of xx% off the cart?

    I am still gobsmacked you cant have a xx% off the cart price !!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B1uenose View Post
    Hi Adrian. Just read your post again. Can I ask how you are working around it? If it is 1 x bulk discount on 1 x product, or, 1 price range, I can sort that out straight away. But if you have say 5 different bulk discount products, all with different prices (hence they need their own bulk discount), how are you getting around that, in terms of xx% off the cart?

    I am still gobsmacked you cant have a xx% off the cart price !!!!
    Hiya - sorry, haven't been around on the forum for the last ten days or so.

    Anyway, for us, we can work around it because we only have a relatively small number of products where we offer bulk-buy discounts so we're looking at setting up fixed multi-buys for those (pack of 5, pack of 10, that kind of thing). I think we can work around it like that, although I haven't dug into the details yet - been busy doing other stuff. In any case, it's not a major hassle for us - we can even live without it (or just accept the extra discount hit) if push comes to shove. Although having an xx% off cart total discount option would be preferable at some point. I think our current provider has that option and they've been pretty good over the last few years, but having worked with their system/back-end for a while and now setting things up in BP, I do think BP will be a better option for us. We might lose that cart discount feature, but we're going to be better off (more functional, more efficient, etc.) in other areas.

Similar Threads

  1. Discount Codes - Major Issue
    By B1uenose in forum Bluepark Technical Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 13:07
  2. Google listings - Major discovery or clutching at straws?
    By Terrain Tyres in forum Online Marketing and Promotion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 14-03-2013, 16:18
  3. Major drop in Google keyword rankings
    By kev in forum Online Marketing and Promotion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 22-05-2012, 11:51
  4. Shipping Issue
    By SteveT in forum Bluepark Technical Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-10-2011, 12:34
  5. 1 Discount Voucher Code - multiple discount levels?
    By lewey in forum Bluepark Technical Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-05-2010, 10:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us

Bluepark's ecommerce software is developed, hosted and supported exclusively by ourselves, here in the UK, and has been so since the company was initially formed in 2004. Your brand new online shop will be hosted securely on our fast and reliable server network, using a domain name of your choice, providing the ability to build and maintain your ecommerce website, and manage your orders, from any location via your own secure online Administration Console.

A Bluepark ecommerce site is the perfect tool for selling online, whether you're selling physical products, digital downloads or services. You'll be in good company with over 1,000 UK customers who also form a friendly and helpful online community, further strengthening our highly acclaimed support network.

Find us on...