Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do-it-Youself SEO

Hi Gary ... just looked at your site, think you need to look at your footer, with 2 x headings with example links underneath them.
    Cheers

Hi Darren
    Sorted, I had just changed to the new Flat template and missed that.
    Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Hi
    Now please please please do not think i'm knocking the course, ive not used it so who am I to say its not worth it and 99 in the grand scheme of things is nothing BUT. I have never paid for any SEO for my site yet we rank on page one of google for pretty much anything to do with our business and pretty much always on page one if you type in a product name. Taking into account there are many retailers who sell the same products etc why is it we do so well... Well maybe its the BP platform, maybe its because we make up our own content, maybe its just the simple basics re SEO that anyone can find out about. I personally think its because we have stuck to a niche part of our trade...
    Maybe i'm just a SEO genius but I didn't know it...
    I would love to know anyone else thoughts...
    www.inflatabletentsonline.co.uk
    We have been in the same position for a few years. Until recently that is! We are very niche, as you are and this is surely an advantage. We have always been in the top half of page one for our best key words. But recently we have been drifting down and down. Like you, we know the basics, look after keywords and update content regularly. We don't actively build links though. We have better content, better conversions, more hits and more repeat customers, yet we seem to keep slipping. We are particularly losing to multinationals such as eBay, Etsy & Notonthehighstreet who have specific categories fitting our key words.
    So, I'm sort of wishing I had a lot more technical knowledge, wishing I had built it up properly as I went along, and looking at options.

Chris

gifts for cat lovers

And since the above post we have simply plummeted. There is an 'UPDATE' marker in Google Webmaster Tools on 14th December, and since then we have disappeared off the face of everything. We are panicking as we have no idea what has gone wrong, and this could well be then end of us if we can't fix it. (There seems to be no documentation about this update). Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you.

Chris

gifts for cat lovers

[QUOTE=christopher;50413]And since the above post we have simply plummeted. There is an 'UPDATE' marker in Google Webmaster Tools on 14th December, and since then we have disappeared off the face of everything. We are panicking as we have no idea what has gone wrong, and this could well be then end of us if we can't fix it. (There seems to be no documentation about this update). Does anybody have any ideas?

Hi Chris

Sorry I can't help but I do understand what you are saying as we have had the same thing happen to us. We used to have many number one slots and receive over 1000 hits a day, now we get about 100. Now all the big stores are in the top 10 positions on Google and I dare say are throwing 1000"s at each keyword making it more difficult for us small companies to survive.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but hopefully Google will realise one day that small company's have more to offer.

Good luck for 2016 and keep plugging away at it!

Here's a bit of info about the update http://www.thesempost.com/google-sea...s-impressions/
    I think it is more an update on how google shows results rather than how it ranks the site so the fall is probably coincidental and the fall is due to something else. Just a small thought Chris, having just visited your site I would think it would play really welly marketed on Youtube and other social media, given the extreme popularity of cats on those media... But maybe you are already using that route?
    Gill

Thanks both. I do use Facebook quite a bit, but not Youtube. I will have a good think about how I could use Youtube, and I just be honest, I need to up my social media knowledge and use. And thanks Prettycool too. It does seem a shame that the big multinationals even win in the niche markets where it it quite clear that they are no up to the standards of most of those they overtake. But that seems to be the way the world is going. I hope things pick up for you too. Your site is fab ( and you're from my old neck of the woods too).
    Having said all that - there is one shop in the same league as us that still manages to keep above the rest. So it must be doable. I will be boosting my SEO savvy in 2016 too.

Happy New Year,

Chris