Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgent Server Reboot: 10pm

Exclamation Urgent Server Reboot: 10pm

I am sorry for the very short notice for this announcement. In one hour's time, at 10pm, it will be necessary to reboot our entire server network. The downtime is anticipated to be about 1 hour, but I cannot 100% guarantee a timeframe.

As some of you may know, we have experienced some intermittent server issues this week which started yesterday morning.

This decision, this evening, has been taken after very careful consideration and lengthy discussions with our partners. In short, this reboot is the best possible solution for the well-being of our servers and, in turn, our customers' sites.

Please be assured that every possible care is being taken while this work is being carried out. I will email here again after the work has been completed.

Once again, I'm sorry for the very short notice, but the reboot must be carried out at 10pm.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Thanks for letting us know Rich

We're doing a fair bit of advertising on run up to Valentines so will give adwords etc a rest till morning.

Thanks for the heads up.

www.order-flowers.co.uk

Please give us a follow on Google+ We'll follow you back

Yes, thanks for the heads up.... shame it could not have been later after most UK customers have gone to bed or even after the 14th when there will be less potential for loss of business, but these things have to be done and there is never an ideal time.
    Gill

agghhhh! And I've got 3 people going through checkout with 4 minutes to go!
    Regards

Neil.

Thank you to everyone for their patience during this necessary outage. The work took longer than we were advised, as is often the case, but great care was taken to ensure that everything was done correctly. All sites are now back up.

Performance may be slow on one or two servers throughout tonight as there are some background jobs running, but we will re-evaluate these in the morning if they are still affecting performance.

Now the site has come back on, it appears to have reset from a point earlier yesterday.

A lot of orders and newly added items are missing, order status' not updated.

Someone has just placed an order and the order number was used about 20 orders ago.

Is this a known issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne - SAF View Post
    Now the site has come back on, it appears to have reset from a point earlier yesterday.

A lot of orders and newly added items are missing, order status' not updated.

Someone has just placed an order and the order number was used about 20 orders ago.

Is this a known issue?
    We do have one server which did not reboot correctly, this is your server. We are working throughout the night to resolve this.

Our site is down so I am assuming that there is still issues.

any ideas of when it will be back up again?

thanks
    Cheers,

Graham

www.thatscrafty.co.uk

Unfortunately I'm not able to say at this point. We have a long-running repair job on this server which is due to complete in the next couple of hours. At the same time, we are creating a new server to potentially restore all affected sites via backups. This is a contingency plan, but we're trying to work with all possible scenarios at the moment. If the repair does not successfully bring the server back online, we will need to restore from the backups taken on Tuesday, 10th February, 1am.

Thanks for the update, I assume that this is also affecting the email server so its just a waiting game
    Cheers,

Graham

www.thatscrafty.co.uk

Arrgh our site is still down. 10pm was a really bad time to take the sites down, we get our peak of visitors during that timeframe as the kids have gone to bed and parents start their internet browsing.

Mine was up for a bit this morning but is down again now!
    Bengalcat

Our site and admin is a LOT slower today than it was yesterday.
    Regards

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
    10pm was a really bad time to take the sites down, we get our peak of visitors during that timeframe as the kids have gone to bed and parents start their internet browsing.
    Agree with this, Must be a reason why it needed to be done so early, but I can't think of it.
    Regards

Neil.

We have been extremely satisfied so far with the service and level of support.
    However, not having a contingency to ensure continuity of service has now become
    a major concern. Not only have we had no website for almost 12 hours, which alone
    is costing us in missed orders and potential new customers, we have the worry that
    a restore might only be from 1am Tuesday; does that mean we lose our data after that time?

We were reassured when we read this on the website:
    RapidSwitch: " Dedicated staff are on-hand 24 hours a day to ensure that your site remains accessible at blistering speeds from anywhere in the world for your customers"
    Microsun: "live site data is stored on a minimum of two physical server machines at any one time, meaning your site is protected against hardware failure."

I hope that this issue is remedied soon and that contingencies are put in place, or offered as an upgrade, that will ensure
    if one server goes down our site is mirrored on another and can continue operating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This is a contingency plan, but we're trying to work with all possible scenarios at the moment. If the repair does not successfully bring the server back online, we will need to restore from the backups taken on Tuesday, 10th February, 1am.
    I am not happy my site is still off-line, but can live with that. What I am very unhappy about is no backup was taken before you reset the servers. Losing a days worth of orders and updates (if that happens) is going to be a nightmare and take hours to try and rebuild from emails.

Was there a reason no back up was made before you reset the servers?

Can we have an idea of a time scale, because what I do not want to happen is the site come back on 24 hours old, and order numbers are over written, as that is going to cause issues with the card server when we come to process orders in some cases months down the line.

Is there any estimate for when the server will be working again?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne - SAF View Post
    I am not happy my site is still off-line, but can live with that. What I am very unhappy about is no backup was taken before you reset the servers. Losing a days worth of orders and updates (if that happens) is going to be a nightmare and take hours to try and rebuild from emails.

Was there a reason no back up was made before you reset the servers?

Can we have an idea of a time scale, because what I do not want to happen is the site come back on 24 hours old, and order numbers are over written, as that is going to cause issues with the card server when we come to process orders in some cases months down the line.
    I am crossing everything and hoping Rich meant 1am this morning ie 11 February and not 10 February. We put new products online yesterday not to mention the orders and data that will be lost if it is in fact going all the way back to 10 February.

we are also still down and share the concerns of order chaos and losing customers who will go elsewhere.

We have a lot of new stock arriving today so now cant upload that to the site so our customers will definatley buy elsewhere so more lost revenue
    Cheers,

Graham

www.thatscrafty.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
    I am crossing everything and hoping Rich meant 1am this morning ie 11 February and not 10 February. We put new products online yesterday not to mention the orders and data that will be lost if it is in fact going all the way back to 10 February.
    Unfortuantely I am pretty certain he meant 24 hours ago. It came back on at 1am this morning, and thats when I noticed it hadn't restored properly and emailed them and posted here. It went off about 20 minutes later, by which time an order had come through overwritting an old order number. I am not sure they knew until I raised the alarm!
    Hopefully they can sort it, but the longer it drags on, the more worried I am. Problem I have is, do I go and do something else, and risk not knowing when it comes back on and having more order number overwritten (we sell a lot of preorder so it will cause a headache months down the line with the card server having duplicate order numbers) or do I sit here and click refresh every few moments, so I am manually take it offline to clear up the mess in teh event they cannot restore them up to date.
    After Christmas and the trade fair seasons, today was the first day I was going to spend on a warehouse refit for months, and now I am sitting here without a clue what's likely to happen, or how long it will be, clicking refreash every couple of minutes.

I normally sing Blueparks praises until the cows come home, but am not impressed with this at all, especially if they never backed up the servers before resetting them, especially considering as far as yesterday went, our server wasn't one with any issues!