Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Live

Default Going Live

Arghgh I'm having mega panic at the moment. I have asked BP to make me live this afternoon at around 12.00 noon which they did. Since then I've been unable to access the IP address given as the option to get into the admin panel until things settled. In fact, I can't access anything at all and there is no sign of the new site either although there was a slight flash of it very early on. If I put the web address/admin in I get Error 404 and I also get this if I put the IP address/admin. I realise it might take quite a while for it to work, but really am having a panic that this is all going wrong. Anyone put my mind at rest?

What's your domain name ?
    Regards,

Dave

please post the url of the new site here, it does normally take upto 24 hours to go live, as the dns records are being updated.

I've got a reply from the lovely Lynne at support and she is confident and says things are progressing as they should so perhaps I should come off the ceiling. Thanks for the assistance people.

lets see the site - what's the address?

http://5.133.178.241 is the IP address as the old site is still showing on the web address which would be www.facepaintsdirect.co.uk. The old site is screwed though as the index page showing is incorrect as its an old one. Long story, but I messed that up today too.

The new site is still a work in progress re products, but old cart has now run out so need this up and running regardless.

The IP address is showing your new site but your old site is still showing on the web address.

As Red says facepaintsdirect.co.uk is still showing the old site.

IF you are pointing to BP's servers based on their NS instead of IP address then I think something may have gone wrong. When I do a lookup on the domain for facepaintsdirect.co.uk it is showing the NS's as

ns1.catalog.com
    ns2.catalog.com
    ns3.catalog.com

When I would expect to see

ns1.bluepark.co.uk
    ns2.bluepark.co.uk

Could be wrong and there are different ways of configuring your DNS through Advanced Options but I suspect you may not set it up correctly.
    Regards,

Dave

Its up at long last, and I can relax now.

It turned out it needed another setting altered which Webhero my webhost for my previous site altered so everything now points in the right direction to BP. I am soooo relieved.

Good stuff and best of luck with the site I'm sure you'll love Bluepark
    www.order-flowers.co.uk

Please give us a follow on Google+ We'll follow you back

Thank you. Loving it so far. Still finding my way around a couple of bits such as the orders as didn't have orders to process before. Fab so far.

If I can say this without causing offence....

I clicked on your website because my daughter is mad on face painting.... usually on me!!!!

Have to say I was a little disappointed in the design, given the arty nature of your industry and especially with such a good domain, in the right hands the design of your website could be awesome.

Save some 's and then give shelley a ring, am pretty sure you'd get your money back soon very quickly.
    Regards

Neil.

How rude.

For what it's worth, I think Rainshoe's website is excellent. A BS-free zone. 2 clicks and it's in the basket.

Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by rscass View Post
    How rude.

For what it's worth, I think Rainshoe's website is excellent. A BS-free zone. 2 clicks and it's in the basket.

Richard.
    Neil was only expressing his opinion on the website in the same way you have expressed yours !

Many of us on here started on the standard template and when we had saved some money up got designs done by Shelley which without a doubt gives the sites a more professional look, increased conversions and paid for itself very quickly.
    Regards,

Dave

Personally I don't care what anyone thinks of my web site. Its up to them what they think. Its a design that is similar to our old one and has worked very well for the ten years we have been running. Not completely new to running things online. I just want a functional template that does the job on a cart that fully works unlike the one I left and the BP one does that. Feedback from our customers so far has been very good.

Don't know who Shelley is anyway and I'm not prepared to pay s to make something flashy when what I have got works well enough and gets customers though. Face Painting is a small market anyway so an all singing all dancing site will only get the same people back that I get already.

Thank you for your comment Richard - are you RCASS from the other site?.

Quote Originally Posted by raineshoe View Post
    Personally I don't care what anyone thinks of my web site. Its up to them what they think. Its a design that is similar to our old one and has worked very well for the ten years we have been running. Not completely new to running things online. I just want a functional template that does the job on a cart that fully works unlike the one I left and the BP one does that. Feedback from our customers so far has been very good.

Don't know who Shelley is anyway and I'm not prepared to pay s to make something flashy when what I have got works well enough and gets customers though. Face Painting is a small market anyway so an all singing all dancing site will only get the same people back that I get already.

Thank you for your comment Richard - are you RCASS from the other site?.
    Indeed I am.

I have been following your progress with the new cart. The other system suits me at the moment though.

I just found the above an astonishing statement.

Let me rephrase it.

"I have zero knowledge of your business apart from having my face drawn on by my child.

In my opinion, your website isn't pretty enough.

I don't know how busy you are. I don't know what your profit margin is. I don't know what you made last year. I don't know what your customers think, what they look for, how many times they come back or even who they are.

I think you should approach my friend/wife/cousin/distant relative and spend an unspecified sum of money on tarting your website up. You will no doubt recoup this unspecified sum with an unspecified increase in business over an unspecified time span."

It's an opinion of sorts I suppose, but when you break it down, it's not very informed.

I like the cart. I think the page where the customer inputs their name and address should have an SSL though. Is it an option?

From my position squarely on top of the fence, I find it sad the direction this thread has taken in terms of its tone. I don't post very often, which is a shame but I've no wish to be misinterpreted and any form of electronic communication makes it so easy for this to happen.

Geoff

Sorry you don't like the way this is going Geoff, but unfortunately, I felt I needed to respond to Neil's post. Everybody's needs for a web site are different at the end of the day and wish people would respect that. I did find Neil's post a little off putting and Richard has only said what I immediately thought but held back from being more forthright.

I think we should draw a line under this.

Richard I have sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rscass View Post
    I think the page where the customer inputs their name and address should have an SSL though. Is it an option?
    I'm not associated to Bluepark in any way other than a website owner and contributor to this forum but I would always advise people take out an SSL certificate for their site even though their financial transactions may be taken off site through PayPal etc.,. which has their own protection.

The SSL certificate will protect/encrypt data entered both by the cutsomer and by the website owner (on the Admin pages).

I appreciate the cost adds to your start up costs and at first you may not consider it necessary but I do feel it gives potential customers the confidence and peace of mind that your site is 100% safe. A small price to pay.

It's a one off yearly fee. Bluepark will set it up for you. It takes about an hour to install and activate.

P.S. I'm not on commission either Just trying to be helpful.

http://www.bluepark.co.uk/services/thawte-ssl123.html

Welcome to Bluepark by the way !!!

This is something I will be adding. Not got around to it yet. Just finding my way now site is live. Payments are okay though as through Paypal and going to add another alternative as soon as I can as not everyone likes Paypal. Used to use Nochex but its not supported on BP.