Thread: Stop right click

Default Stop right click

Hi how do I stop people from being able to right click and save my images? I know they can screen shot and alter but just want to stop them directly

Cheers & Tight Lines!!

Ian
    Shop4Tackle Limited

www.shop4tackle.com
    www.facebook.com/shop4tackle

You can use this code. It goes in template editor/site/head section (developers).

It does disable right click, but if someone is really, really determined they will get your pics anyway. It will stop the casual person.

You can change the text where it says Copyright Warning in my text. You can try right click on our web site and this box pops up reminding people of copyright.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    //Disable right mouse click Script
    //By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
    //For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="COPYRIGHT WARNING! YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO COPY THIS PAGE. All rights, including copyright, in this website are owned by or licensed to Face Paints Direct. Any use of this website or its contents, including copying or storing it in whole or part, other than for your own personal, non commercial use, is prohibited without our permission. You may not modify, distribute or repost anything on this website for any purpose.";

///////////////////////////////////
    function clickIE4(){
    if (event.button==2){
    alert(message);
    return false;
    }
    }

function clickNS4(e){
    if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!docume nt.all){
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
    alert(message);
    return false;
    }
    }
    }

if (document.layers){
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
    document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
    }
    else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
    document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
    }

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")

// -->
    </script>

Thanks, done that but it doesn't seem to have done anything? I copied and pasted the above into Template Editor/Site/Header Section (developers) .... hit the save button, clicked the tick, but nothing?

Cheers & Tight Lines!!

Ian
    Shop4Tackle Limited

www.shop4tackle.com
    www.facebook.com/shop4tackle

Mmm works for me..... perhaps go visit www.dynamicdrive.com and pick up the script direct from there. You can see it working on our web site and it does work fine. I have to bob out now, but will check I've given you right place to put the text.

Quote Originally Posted by tightlinesuk View Post
    Thanks, done that but it doesn't seem to have done anything? I copied and pasted the above into Template Editor/Site/Header Section (developers) .... hit the save button, clicked the tick, but nothing?
    Sometimes the editor or your browser (accidentally) screws up the code you paste in. Haven't got the details to hand but it happened to me and Richard @ BP fixed it for me.

Just looked at your page source code and its not showing in your source code. Perhaps check that it saved properly?

This will never stop anyone determined enough from stealing your images, but here are my recommended solutions (simpler than the others I've seen).

To prevent right-clicking on anything:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">jQuery(document).bind('contextmenu', function(e) { return false; });</script>
    To prevent right-clicking on images only:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">jQuery(document).bind('contextmenu', function(e) { if (e.target.nodeName == "IMG") return false; });</script>
    We actually use the first example on our checkout pages, to deter fiddling.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

You can never stop it, if you just look in the page source it will show the direct link to the image, which will allow copying of the image.

I have started to watermark my images, as I have starting paying for photography, and then someone to edit them in photoshop, all for someone else to come along and pinch from me, undercut me, using my hard earned money for their sale.

But you also need to be very proactive in getting images taken down when needed.

You can also check on people stealing in Google Search > Images just by dragging one of your pictures over the top of the page and dropping it. A pertinent email threatening to charge for use of the image usually has happy results!

Is there any code like the codes above that will stop right click but still allow us, as site owners, to right click? I would like to disable right click but I use right click on my own site quite a lot so find it frustrating as it also stops me from right clicking.

Is there a way to watermark a page of text to protect it.
    Richard

When browsing other peoples website this really annoys me. I like to open links into new tabs so I can read them later and continue with what I'm reading, so when I right click to select 'new tab' and it comes up with some pop-up that says "don't steal our images" it's just annoying - and it looks amateurish. and as already stated it's not going to stop people stealing your images.

Even watermarks can be removed from images nowadays using photoshop or coreldraw.
    Dave

www.thecartridgekingdom.co.uk - For all your inkjet & laser toner cartridges.
    www.designedbyfitzy.co.uk - Personalised clothing for all your needs, personal & business, Sign Making/Writing for both office & company vehicles.

Don't know if I dreamt this one up but doesn't watermarked images cause issues with Google Merchant (if you use that route)?
    Shaun

Loxta Hardware
    www.loxta.co.uk

Yes i was disqualified by Google. I was looking for a way to protect text.
    Richard