Thread: Grateful for any feedback - conversion rate has dropped

Default Grateful for any feedback - conversion rate has dropped

Morning

We've had our website running for the past few years and sales have steadily grown from month to month, but our conversion rate and sales have dramatically dropped in the past two months and we can't work out what is going on. We're always updating the website and tweaking it on a regular basis, but maybe we're missing something and there are problems we can't see. We'd really appreciate any feedback and would be particularly interested in any from Ipad/tablet/mobile users as we're not sure if the site is working differently on these.

Our website is www.looptheloop.co.uk

Many thanks in advance,

Laura

An SSL certificate may give your potential customers more confidence that your website is secure. Granted you may be taking payments off site with say PayPal or whoever but when people register or enter their details during the checkout process, the fact that those pages are not secure may put some people off buying. I always recommend an SSL certificate when I look at other people's sites as a result of threads on this forum but in my opinion an SSL certificate is essential for an ecommerce site. I know it seems an "expensive luxury" but it is vital to keeps your customers details secure (including your own Admin details) and savvy internet buyers wil lalways check before they buy.

Have you looked at your orders in progress to see if people are leaving the site during checkout? Have you looked at your Google Analytics to see what your Bounce Rate is and at what point do your customers leave your site? What screens do they leave the site on?

Your Meta Tags particularly on your Product pages need looking at. Concentrate on the Meta Descriptions and for each product write 2 lines to entice customers to click through to your site. At the moment, your Meta Descriptions are very sparse. Don't worry about the Meta Keywords - it looks like your products pick up the generic keywords for your site. Google doesn't lend much weight to Keywords anyway. Make the Meta Descriptions relevant to each product.

Your site looks lovely and fresh - very modern. I can't see much wrong.
    Last edited by Red Devil; 23-03-2015 at 08:50. Reason: spelling

Love the site, Red has some good comments, my only observation is that when you mouse over your product images the zoom is maybe a bit much so I can't really see what I'm looking at properly. (example http://www.looptheloop.co.uk/frames/...re-frames.html)

Other than that the site is brill, well done!
    Last edited by Flowers; 23-03-2015 at 08:29. Reason: added link for example
    www.order-flowers.co.uk

Please give us a follow on Google+ We'll follow you back

You've got some great stuff and it's a really nice site so I guess it's a case of getting more traffic to the site. The Share on Facebook discount has worked really well for us. If they share their order details on the FB profile they get 3% discount and all their friends get a link to the site. We are just also trying the http://picreel.com voucher - so will see how that goes.

I know what I am ordering my mum for her birthday!

Hi guys

Thank you so much for the feedback so far, the suggestions are very helpful and we're looking into making some of the changes you've recommended. It just seems so odd for our sales to have dropped by so much, does anyone else have this happen now and again? could it be down to customer behavior and trends?

Amberpumpkin, I've got a 5 month old who is teething at the mo, I' ll be taking a good look at the products you have to offer :-)

Thanks again,
    Laura

Nice site and good points already made.

You don't say if your traffic has dropped. If it is the sales that have dropped while traffic is the same it maybe that the quality of traffic has changed. If traffic has also dropped then it may be due to a ranking change. Clues to both can be found in Google webmaster tools. You can still see which keywords/search terms are bringing you traffic in GWT Search Queries and you can also see the changes in ranking. Your top pages can also be viewed and it shows which search terms are bringing traffic to those pages. Look for changes in those stats. It is quite possible for Google to deliver traffic which is not relevant and therefore won't buy and it is in those GWT stats that you find clues to tell you if that is happening.
    Gill

Our sales have been going great in January, less in February and march has been fairly dreadful, still same numbers of visitors, not sure why the drop. Be great if people have ideas that we can all benefit from. ��

Yes this is exactly what's happened to us, the amount of traffic is very similar to Jan and Feb but sales have really gone down this month, I've looked at Webmaster and can't see anything obvious to why it's happening, it just seems very odd, would also be interested if anyone can shed any light on this.

Hi Laura
    Is the text on your homepage in an iframe or just a div with reduced height? If it's a recent thing maybe Google is seeing this as trying to hide content? Also you have a spans within the H1 tag on your homepage maybe this could reduce importance in Google eyes?

I'm no seo expert but thought it might be worth mentioning if they're recent changes?

March is often a slower month for us, have no idea why but it doesn't surprise me when I see things are quiet in March.
    Kim

Hi, when you click your TrustWave logo in your basket area it links to the TrustWave pop up...What you see is not good.
    Other than that I have no idea why sales have dropped but on a good note, the site is superb.

I just checked your cart as well and Gary is right. Does the decline in business coincide with the Trustwave logo being there. Or perhaps your data with them has expired this year causing the result they are showing. Either way it is potentially very off putting for buyers and may be the cause of the decline in orders.
    Gill

Awh thank you for the feedback, that's very interesting about the click through from the Trustwave logo, we hadn't noticed this so will get it sorted asap and see if we see any improvements in sales, it could be one of the reasons for the decline.

Many thanks again :-)

Your header doesn't display properly in Internet Explorer 8. Firefox is OK however.

IE8

IE8.jpg

Firefox

Firefox.jpg