Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site Gone Live Please review

Default Site Gone Live Please review

Hi

I have gone live even though the site is not fully populated. I thought I could keep adding products whilst google etc start to find it. I have one main concern. If I change any of categories etc once the site is indexed will I have problems with duplicates, if I use the same titles in sub cats later. Hope this makes some kind of sense to you all. Feedback on any other aspect will also be much appreciated and I will not take it personally Pat

url: www.poniesonparade.co.uk

You have set your site up so that the category name does not form part of the URL. This is the new default and in my opinion is the best way to do it. Therefore, you won't get duplicate product URLs or you won't have the need for "301 redirects" if you moved your products around into different categories. If you tick the SEO Friendly URL Text box on the product page, the system will prevent duplicate URLs.

Furthermore, behind the scenes, each product has a "canonical tag" which uniquely identifies its URL to Google, so if it appeared in more than one category, it would only appear as the one product to Google, eliminating the possibility of duplicate or duplicate content (for that product).

Welcome to Bluepark - enjoy your stay

You still have the default blog pages in your blog. You can delete these by going to Content/Blog Manager.

You also have an "Example Link" in your footer.

Hi Red Devil, Thanks for your comments I have removed the blog and the example linke - no idea why I didn't see them. In your earlier post you mentioned the seo friendly url, is this the tick box under the product title on the properties page of the product editor. Pat

Hi Pat

Yes, that's the one. "URL text" tick box.

What would be the effect of clicking on the SEO friendly check box with an existing long-running site Red Devil ? I'm a bit scared of changing to that for fear of what might happen to my rankings

Hi Sarah

It looks like you may already be doing this on some of your products. The Product Title forms part of your URL when the box is ticked.

However, on this Product the box has not been ticked and it defaults to your Product's SKU.

Ticking it on the ones that aren't ticked won't cause a problem because Bluepark automatically generates a 301 Redirect from the Old to the New URL. When you get that pop up window about the 301 Redirect, just click "OK". This shouldn't affect your rankings very much as the old links in Google will redirect visitors to your new page. If your New URL contains some keywords about your product, it may even improve your rankings slightly.

Remember, we are talking about the SEO friendly Tick Box on the Product page.

URL-text.jpg

If, however, you are talking about the setting in "Site / Configuration / Catalog" that controls whether your URL contains the Category location of your product or not, then i would NOT recommend you change this on an existing, established site as ALL of your URLs would change and your rankings WOULD be affected until Google re-indexed your new URLs and thinsg settled down (may be up to 6 months !!!). You could, however, create your own Old to NEW 301 redirects but even so, your rankings would be adversely affected for some time (and may never recover or may even improve - no guarantee for the better).

Your setting is currently set to contain the Category in the URL. I would NOT change this now.

category-URL.jpg

Hi, what would be the effect if I used the one in the site/configuration/catalog - I do not think I have any rankings yet (although the sitemap has been indexed by google). A second question would be when or why would ticking the box and including the category location in the product be used. Thanks Pat

Quote Originally Posted by PoniesOnParade View Post
    Hi, what would be the effect if I used the one in the site/configuration/catalog - I do not think I have any rankings yet (although the sitemap has been indexed by google). A second question would be when or why would ticking the box and including the category location in the product be used. Thanks Pat
    The difference between having the setting ON or OFF is:-

Setting ON (ticked)

The category forms part of the URL structure

e.g. website/category/product.html

Setting OFF (unticked)

The category does NOT form part of the URL structure

e.g. website/product.html

I prefer the second option and this is the default way all new Bluepark sites are set up. I may be wrong, but I think Google favours this way as well from an SEO point of view. It used to be the consensus that having the category name in the URL would improve the SEO if the category related to the product name or if the category was a popular keyphrase/keyword. However, I think Google tends to index product pages quicker and more often when the category is NOT included - that's just my opinion.

Changing the setting "mid stream" for an existing site would mean ALL of the existing product URLs would be altered and rankings for the OLD URLs would be lost. This could prove disasterous from a rankings perspective.

Your site is set up like this "website/product.html". Personally, I would keep it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Hi Sarah

It looks like you may already be doing this on some of your products. The Product Title forms part of your URL when the box is ticked.
    Thanks Red Devil - it was the check box on the products that I was talking about . Whenever I either update, change or add a product I always tick that box which is why some of my products are using that structure and some aren't. As long as I know it won't do any damage to my rankings, that's fine. I never fiddle about with stuff in site / config unless I've been specifically told to do so - far too much chance of something going wrong when I don't know what I'm doing !!

Thanks

Hi Sarah - I don't know what I'm doing most of the time but luckily Red Devil does.

Red Devil, whilst I have no rankings to damage could you tell me is it best to leave the Meta Data tab items to default. And also could you tell me why there is a need for meta data groups and how best it would work. I hope I am not being toooooo much of a nuisense. Pat

There are a number of places on your Bluepark site where you can place your Meta Data.

Site / Configuration / Site Options

Here you can enter your Default Meta Title, Meta Description and Meta Keywords. These will be used globally throughout your site if you don't enter any Meta Data anywhere else. So these are your site wide defaults. So, start here with your "general" Meta Data to cover any pages where you don't enter any page, category or product specific Meta Data.

Category Meta Data

In the Category Manager, for each Category or Sub Category, there is a Meta Data Tab that you can populate. Within that tab, you can enter your Meta Title, Meta Description and Meta Keywords for that Category. Usually, you can leave the Category Title to default to the Category Title. For the Meta Description, if you don't enter anything it will default to the Site's Meta Description from the "Site / Configuration / Site Options". Likewise, for the Meta Keywords, if you don't enter anything it will default to the Site's Meta Keywords. If you blank any of these out, the words "Default blah blah" will auto populate in the boxes and your default Meta Data will be picked up.

Product Meta Data

The same applies to each individual Product. Each Product has it's own Meta Data Tab. The Meta Title will default to what's in the Product Title. The Meta Description and the Meta Keywords will default to the site's Meta Description and Keywords if they're not entered at Product Level. It is always best to have unique Meta Titles and Meta Descriptions otherwise Google will highlight these as duplicates, especially if nothing is entered and the site's defaults are used.

Static Page Content

In the Page Manager, each static page has its own Meta Data Tab and again the same default rules apply. Note, you will have a Home Page which is argueably the most important page on your site - this will always get indexed by Google. So make sure the Meta Data is unique and relevant for this page.

As far as Meta Groups are concerned, I've never used them or know of anyone using them. I think (I could be wrong) they can be used to assign the same Meta Data to a series of pages but as it's always best to have unique Meta Data for every page and every product then I wouldn't use them.

On a general note, sometimes Google ignores your Meta Data and displays its own Meta Data in its serach results, taking what it considers to be "relevant" (based on the search query) text from that particular page. However, don't let this put you off filling out your own Meta Data.

Meta Data is very time consuming but at the same time, very important for SEO. Meta Keywords are not as important now as they used to be, so concentrate your efforts on the Meta Title and Meta Description and make them "relevant" or specific to that given page or product.

There are lots of threads on this forum about Meta Data, so do some forum searches and ask as many questions as you like. There are others on this forum who are just as knowledgeable and who will have their own advice/tips.

There are a number of places on your Bluepark site where you can place your Meta Data.

Site / Configuration / Site Options

Here you can enter your Default Meta Title, Meta Description and Meta Keywords. These will be used globally throughout your site if you don't enter any Meta Data anywhere else. So these are your site wide defaults. So, start here with your "general" Meta Data to cover any pages where you don't enter any page, category or product specific Meta Data.

Category Meta Data

In the Category Manager, for each Category or Sub Category, there is a Meta Data Tab that you can populate. Within that tab, you can enter your Meta Title, Meta Description and Meta Keywords for that Category. Usually, you can leave the Category Title to default to the Category Title. For the Meta Description, if you don't enter anything it will default to the Site's Meta Description from the "Site / Configuration / Site Options". Likewise, for the Meta Keywords, if you don't enter anything it will default to the Site's Meta Keywords. If you blank any of these out, the words "Default blah blah" will auto populate in the boxes and your default Meta Data will be picked up.

Product Meta Data

The same applies to each individual Product. Each Product has it's own Meta Data Tab. The Meta Title will default to what's in the Product Title. The Meta Description and the Meta Keywords will default to the site's Meta Description and Keywords if they're not entered at Product Level. It is always best to have unique Meta Titles and Meta Descriptions otherwise Google will highlight these as duplicates, especially if nothing is entered and the site's defaults are used.

Static Page Content

In the Page Manager, each static page has its own Meta Data Tab and again the same default rules apply. Note, you will have a Home Page which is argueably the most important page on your site - this will always get indexed by Google. So make sure the Meta Data is unique and relevant for this page.

As far as Meta Groups are concerned, I've never used them or know of anyone using them. I think (I could be wrong) they can be used to assign the same Meta Data to a series of pages but as it's always best to have unique Meta Data for every page and every product then I wouldn't use them.

On a general note, sometimes Google ignores your Meta Data and displays its own Meta Data in its serach results, taking what it considers to be "relevant" (based on the search query) text from that particular page. However, don't let this put you off filling out your own Meta Data.

Meta Data is very time consuming but at the same time, very important for SEO. Meta Keywords are not as important now as they used to be, so concentrate your efforts on the Meta Title and Meta Description and make them "relevant" or specific to that given page or product.

There are lots of threads on this forum about Meta Data, so do some forum searches and ask as many questions as you like. There are others on this forum who are just as knowledgeable and who will have their own advice/tips.
    I havent been involved in this conversation but I wanted to thank Red Devil for that info, it was useful. It did bring up a question though, as I had been told that if "Product Meta Description" is left blank then google would populate it rather than it default to the site's meta description. I have purposefully left some blank as I was told for SEO it can be good to let google populate some of them (I have a high amount of products and many are similar). So now Im not sure if the blank ones will be populated by google or from BP's site defaults.

Any ideas

Thanks.
    Kim

Hi Kim

Bluepark will default the physical Meta Description if left blank. If you "view source" you will see this.

However, Google may choose to override the Meta Description and use its own taken from the content of that page and based on the search criteria. Google can do this with any of your pages, not just the ones that Bluepark defaults. Ask yourself the question, how would Google know if the physical Meta Description that was there was hand written by you or deafulted by Bluepark? It can't. So what you've been told is wrong. However, Google can override what's there if it so chooses.

Take a look at what Google displays for those pages and see what it actually displays in the Meta Description.

Type site:yourwebsite.co.uk (no "www") into Google to show all your linked pages.

Hi Kim

Bluepark will default the physical Meta Description if left blank. If you "view source" you will see this.

However, Google may choose to override the Meta Description and use its own taken from the content of that page and based on the search criteria. Google can do this with any of your pages, not just the ones that Bluepark defaults. Ask yourself the question, how would Google know if the physical Meta Description that was there was hand written by you or deafulted by Bluepark? It can't. So what you've been told is wrong. However, Google can override what's there if it so chooses.

Take a look at what Google displays for those pages and see what it actually displays in the Meta Description.

Type site:yourwebsite.co.uk (no "www") into Google to show all your linked pages.
    Thanks Red Devil. I was told if left blank google would populate, I was of the understanding that BP didnt automatically populate so therefore it would be seen as blank by google but this obviously isnt necessarily the case. I will look into this.

Many thanks for your help.
    Kim

Hi Pat

IMHO you've done the right thing in publishing even before you're fully populated - Google and others do seem to like content that changes! I've noted some points below (they are just opinions - ignore at will).

- Footer links "Ponies on Parade" not actually links
    - Social icons in footer only link to the home page of those services - confusing for customer?
    - As mentioned elsewhere, you still have the default Meta page descriptions. A quick improvement here would be to export all products, and re-import an edited file with just the "SKU" and "Meta description" columns, where the "Meta Description" column is a non-html copy of the "Short Description" column, or shortened version of the "Page Content" Column. (Whenever you export, though, make sure you keep an original copy of your exported products as backup).
    - Minor layout point: On your department and category pages you have 2 search blocks. I think this just adds clutter - especially if visible in mobile view.
    - You've got lots of lovely images. Any way you can use some in the header?
    - You only have a single image in the carousel - you may want to use a static block until you have more to avoid that "pulsing " effect.

Hope this is helpful - try cartangel.com or similar if you want more extensive checks.

Harpo

Hi Harpo

I know the social media bar is 'hopeless' I just can't find out how to hide it - so that I can use it later. The ponies bit is to remind me I have to sort it out. We have an old website www.poniesonparde.com which I am allowing to die a death, but not yet in a position to terminate I followed your suggestion about importing the short description into the meta description, it worked a treat - thanks. Just wondered where everyone stands on Keywords. Thanks for any input Pat

To remove the social media icons from the footer, go into template Manager and for your given template remove this code from the footer.

Make a copy of yoru tempale as a back up first.

Should you ever want to restore these icons you can copy the code from the original "glass" template.

Code:
    <li>
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: none; margin-right: 10px;"><span class="bp-icon-facebook" title="Find Us on Facebook"><!--icon--></span></a>
    <a href="http://twitter.com" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: none; margin-right: 10px;"><span class="bp-icon-twitter" title="Find Us on Twitter"><!--icon--></span></a>
    <a href="http://plus.google.com" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: none; margin-right: 10px;"><span class="bp-icon-googleplus" title="Find Us on Google+"><!--icon--></span></a>
    <a href="http://www.pinterest.com" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: none; margin-right: 10px;"><span class="bp-icon-pinterest" title="Find Us on Pinterest"><!--icon--></span></a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: none; margin-right: 10px;"><span class="bp-icon-linkedin" title="Find Us on LinkedIn"><!--icon--></span></a>
    <a href="/blog/" style="text-decoration: none"><span class="bp-icon-feed" title="Read Our Blog"><!--icon--></span></a>
    </li>

Hi Red Devil, Thanks

Hi Red Devil, just a query regarding the social media, on the template I am using it shows the buttons in the product block. How do they work, and should they be linked to our facebook page etc. I know another silly question Pat
    We will overcome the big boys - eventually