Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a friend

Default Recommend a friend

Hi

I am keen to have a Recommend a Friend functionality - where people can enter email addresses of friends and they get a discount voucher and so do their friends.

Is it possible to do this - loads of sites offer it and I feel it would be a good way of driving traffic and boosting sales.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Toby

As far as I know there is no BP facility for this - but you can on Facebook etc ...

Hi Toby,

The Tell A Friend feature is available, you can see an example of it on this product http://www.demopark.co.uk/nike-hoodie.html and a direct link here http://www.demopark.co.uk/nike-hoodie/action/friend/.

It's more than likely that the Tell A Friend button has been removed by your website designer and you will need to ask them to restore it.
    Moderator :: Bluepark Solutions

Yes ... but, James, you can't set it up so that the friend-teller gets a reward if the friend buys, can you?

I would like that functionality too :-)...great idea
    Terry

The email which is sent is a standard system email (TellaFriend), which can be edited in the Language Manager to include a coupon code.

I could be wrong but I think Terry means that the coupon should go to the person pressing the tell a friend button, not to the friend. Not clear that can be done via the language manager?
    Gill

To be fair, James wasn't answering my question but merely expanded on how the present system works.

The Tell A Friend email can be changed of course in Language Manager and could include a coupon code which could be used by the Friend. But the email is sent through the BP system so the Teller doesn't get to see the coupon code. Unless he emails it to himself and no friends at all.

My guess is that it would be extraordinarily complicated to set this up. So, amberpumpkin, Terry and Gillf - it ain't going to happen.

UNLESS - [James, are you with me?!!] - the affiliate system could be tweaked to include an email address as an option to a domain name. Probably few of us use this but go Orders > Affiliate Monitor

If Referring Domain could have an option of Referring email address - now there's a thought!!!

P S

If Rich and team want to give a prize for suggestion of the month, and this one wins it, then a [LARGE] box of Maltesers would keep me happy ...

Quote Originally Posted by CLO View Post
    UNLESS - [James, are you with me?!!] - the affiliate system could be tweaked to include an email address as an option to a domain name. Probably few of us use this but go Orders > Affiliate Monitor

If Referring Domain could have an option of Referring email address - now there's a thought!!!
    Could it be based on the Credit Note/Voucher system where a link is sent?

However it can be done - it would be a useful feature, we rely heavily on recommendation and most sites seem to have this feature.
    https://www.next.co.uk/secure/account/friends.aspx

I noticed these people: https://www.woolovers.com/recommend-a-friend.aspx use this service: http://www.referralcandy.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CLO View Post
    To be fair, James wasn't answering my question but merely expanded on how the present system works.

The Tell A Friend email can be changed of course in Language Manager and could include a coupon code which could be used by the Friend. But the email is sent through the BP system so the Teller doesn't get to see the coupon code. Unless he emails it to himself and no friends at all.

My guess is that it would be extraordinarily complicated to set this up. So, amberpumpkin, Terry and Gillf - it ain't going to happen.

Sorry Terry - I read it as a reply to your question. My mistake.
    Gill

Hi,

Sorry I did misread your initial request. Once a user sends a request with their friends details, a message is shown on the product page "An e-mail recommending this item has been sent successfully" this message can be edited in the Language Manager to include a code.

I understand that this may not be ideal, but it is the best solution I can currently think of.

Is the idea of having an affiliate email address feasible, James?

I'm afraid not Chris, sorry.

Been using Referral Candy for a couple of months now:

In the last month:

3626 Referral Emails sent
    1379 Referral Email views
    510 Referral Link clicks
    215 Website visits
    28 Purchases by referred customers
    76 Facebook shares
    7 Twitter shares

So for us the referral scheme is working quite well, It is certainly getting our brand out there and all automated so we dont have to do anything.

Amber, was it easy to set up?
    Bengalcat

Yes, takes about 20 mins, you just fill in the forms on their site. You need some graphics for the emails that their system sends out.They do a 30 day free trial - I wasnt seeing much traction so said I wanted to cancel and they gave me another 30 days free. Takes a while to build up.

Amber, just looks interesting. How long have you been using it now? Do you think it's worth the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
    Amber, just looks interesting. How long have you been using it now? Do you think it's worth the cost?
    We have been using for about 3 months.

Over that time we have had about $1100 worth of sales and cost of using the service is $72 plus the 1 we give to each referral which will be 51 so I would say yes it is worth the cost.

Toby