Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday settings - how?

Default Holiday settings - how?

Hi,

How do you put your shops into holiday mode:
    i.e. not turn on maintenance mode as that will be a SEO bomb
    not turn off all payment methods as that will just get people ringing up querying why the order isn't processing and when they ring and no one answers will go off into the wilds of the internet asking.

i would like to keep the site open for google and people browsing but not let anybody buy.

Perhaps aiming to make the shipping options clear this up with non dates pushing the arrival into the new year but as we all know people are not always the best at reading.

which methods do you find best and getting the message across clearly without annoying people or leaving them in the dark.

BTW the option of just staying open doesn't appeal

There has been a thread on here before about that so do a search and you should find it - we've never done it as we just stay open.
    Regards

Neil.

The easiest way would be to disable the checkout by setting the Primary Payment Processor to none.

However, if it was me I would leave the site open and allow people to order. If they have problems with ordering because you have disabled the checkout they probably won't bother waiting for you to re-open and go elsewhere to order.

Change your delivery page to say any orders placed after x will not be dispatched until y and therefore they can expect to receive there order on z. Also create a block with this information in and display it on the basket page. Also you could change your order confirmation e-mail to include the information.
    Regards,

Dave

I closed for a week for summer holidays this summer and boy did I need it... so I am with you on wanting to close i.e. not take orders so you can take a proper break. I did it by turning off all payment methods, as mentioned above - set your Primary payment processor to "none". This will disable checkout. I then put some big red blocks on the site to say we are closed for the week. I put them top and bottom on all pages so they could not be missed. Then, to avoid confusion, I also changed the 'add to basket' button to something that said 'closed' or whatever, instead of 'add to basket'. I used a new name for the image rather than overwriting the existing image, as there are issues with browsers not refreshing. Then change: Language manager > Product :: Button :: Addproduct and also in Language manager > Basket :: Button :: Checkout you can change that from from ‘checkout’ to nothing. I also changed my answer machine message and set up an auto rely for emails.

Phew. But worth it, lol.

thanks, will go with that Deefer,
    like you say phew, will have to take note of all the alterations so i can reverse but hey sounds like a plan
    was hoping for a button that turned add to basket clicks to instead point to a html page that i could just write with say: opening times, promo and/or xmas message.

I know, something more automated would be good but actually the process above sounds more long winded than it really is. Yes, I made notes and then I know how to do it each year and how to reverse it. Don't forget yours may be slightly different to mine, depending on whether you have text or images for the checkout and add to basket functions/buttons, but you get the idea.

Must be nice to be in a position to able to turn business away
    Regards,

Dave

I wish there was another way. No one wants to close their shop but I work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. A week off in the summer and a week off at Xmas is the only way I have not died at my desk by now. For 10 years I tried holidays where the shop was still open but found it stressful. The business phone doesn't stop ringing, the orders and enquiries keep coming in. I prefer to close and give myself a proper break that is very well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Deefer View Post
    I wish there was another way. No one wants to close their shop but I work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. A week off in the summer and a week off at Xmas is the only way I have not died at my desk by now. For 10 years I tried holidays where the shop was still open but found it stressful. The business phone doesn't stop ringing, the orders and enquiries keep coming in. I prefer to close and give myself a proper break that is very well deserved.
    Absolutely Deefer.. Everyone needs a break, and your descriptive is n excellent way around being able to do this, whilst maintaining a presence...
    Terry

You could still accept order, but you have notice stating that they will not be dispatched until a certain date, we do this and it workd well, but we also make add a Additions so they have to tick a check bot agreeing that there is a delayed dispatch have a look at this thread
    http://www.bluepark.co.uk/forums/sho...s+closing+cart

You could still accept order, but you have notice stating that they will not be dispatched until a certain date, we do this and it workd well, but we also make add a Additions so they have to tick a check bot agreeing that there is a delayed dispatch have a look at this thread
    http://www.bluepark.co.uk/forums/sho...s+closing+cart see post #11

We use this method every time we have an holiday, works a treat, will be doiing this as from Wednesday next week

I like the ticky box idea. We use a discount code. We know that everyone who uses it has seen the notices. It also makes them feel less hard-done-by having to wait a bit.
    We email the odd one that doesn't use it. (The trickiest bit is making an announcement noticeable on the mobile site without taking over the home page.)

Chris

gifts for cat lovers

I wasn't saying don't have a break, just keep your website open and accept orders. Put messages up on the website saying you are closed until 4 th January and any orders placed will not be processed until then. Give your customers the choice of ordering and waiting for their delivery instead of someone else getting the business because you have disabled the checkout.

The other points you mentioned can also be solved. Business phone can be set to not ring and go to answering machine, emails can have an auto respond to say your closed.

As long as you don't check your email, website and phone there is no reason why you shouldnt have a nice relaxing break over the Xmas and new year period and come back to lots of orders.

Anyway regardless of what you decide have a great Xmas.
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    and come back to lots of orders.
    Hahaha, exactly the problem

And you

I totally agree with you Deefer and I plan to close completely this year. Last year, I left it so that people could still place orders, but had big red messages everywhere saying we were closed until January and their orders wouldn't be despatched until then and also added the same message on the order confirmation, but it still ended up being a nightmare.

People ignore what's on the site and as long as they can still place orders, they still expect 'business as usual'. We ended up being inundated with emails from customers, saying that they couldn't wait until January, they 'needed' their goods sooner! (I don't think it's a life/death situation if you run out of Marmite or Branston somehow!).

Anyway, I just couldn't enjoy my break last year, it was incredibly stressful, so this year, the website checkout gets disabled, the answer machine is set to play only, no recording and the email will have an auto out of office reply. It's been a tough year and I'm determined to have a proper break this year and switch off completely.

I just wish there was a simpler way to disable the site and catalogue for times like this. It's a bit of a faff having to produce blocks, change buttons, disable payment etc. Hopefully Rich will have something in place for us next year. I had a situation recently, where my husband was very ill and rushed into hospital and I had to quickly close for a week, but I didn't have time to go through all this, so I had to stick it in test mode. That's the only thing I miss about our old platform, it was literally ticking a box to achieve this, mind you everything else about the old platform was rubbish!

Yvonne
    www.expatessentials.com

I agree with Deefer and will be closing for a week. I use a simpler method - I just disable payment and put a block at top of product page and basket page saying closed with dates. Seems to work ok (I regularly close to take breaks)

Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    I totally agree with you Deefer and I plan to close completely this year. Last year, I left it so that people could still place orders, but had big red messages everywhere saying we were closed until January and their orders wouldn't be despatched until then and also added the same message on the order confirmation, but it still ended up being a nightmare.

People ignore what's on the site and as long as they can still place orders, they still expect 'business as usual'. We ended up being inundated with emails from customers, saying that they couldn't wait until January, they 'needed' their goods sooner! (I don't think it's a life/death situation if you run out of Marmite or Branston somehow!).

Anyway, I just couldn't enjoy my break last year, it was incredibly stressful, so this year, the website checkout gets disabled, the answer machine is set to play only, no recording and the email will have an auto out of office reply. It's been a tough year and I'm determined to have a proper break this year and switch off completely.

I just wish there was a simpler way to disable the site and catalogue for times like this. It's a bit of a faff having to produce blocks, change buttons, disable payment etc. Hopefully Rich will have something in place for us next year. I had a situation recently, where my husband was very ill and rushed into hospital and I had to quickly close for a week, but I didn't have time to go through all this, so I had to stick it in test mode. That's the only thing I miss about our old platform, it was literally ticking a box to achieve this, mind you everything else about the old platform was rubbish!

Yvonne
    www.expatessentials.com
    Yes that is the problem Yvonne

people don't like to be messed about and they don't read much either.
    I can live with loosing the orders, i cant' live with lots of negative forum posts and reviews.

I prefer to be dead straight with people, sorry you cant buy from us as we are closed, we used to just tick a box that took all the add to cart clicks and pointed it to a page that we could say thanks for the business and have a merry etc along with opening times.
    Also could set it up for emergencies so you could easily log in from anywhere and turn the cart off to a closed message at the drop of a hat via a mobile.

Have set all the exclude dates in shipping manager and will but a block in the basket and see how it goes.

apart from that though Bluepark is leaps ahead of the old system so i wont hold it against them.

If they could add a maintenance button that takes the basket off line and links to a page but leaves the site live would be very beneficial though, PLEASE MODS

Least we who use the Royal mail forget that they are not blessing us with too many delivery dates between Xmas and New Year in 2015:
    http://www.royalmail.com/greetings?i...OMO2_GREETINGS

Hahaha, exactly the problem

And you
    1st world problems right here
    www.order-flowers.co.uk

Please give us a follow on Google+ We'll follow you back

Yeah, lol