Thread: Is there something fundamentally wrong with our website>

Default Is there something fundamentally wrong with our website>

We're a small online business, in the past we've done quite well, we've been online 16 years, but in the last 12 months conversions have dropped massively, we're still updating all the time, always adding new products.

The site layout isn't great but we can't afford a designer at the moment, We are updating old small images, and working on better product descriptions.

Is there anything anyone can see that is fundamentally wrong that we could update? Any suggestions very gratefully received.

www.cake-links.com
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by damsel View Post
    We're a small online business, in the past we've done quite well, we've been online 16 years, but in the last 12 months conversions have dropped massively, we're still updating all the time, always adding new products.

The site layout isn't great but we can't afford a designer at the moment, We are updating old small images, and working on better product descriptions.

Is there anything anyone can see that is fundamentally wrong that we could update? Any suggestions very gratefully received.

www.cake-links.com
    Thank you
    Have you got an SSL??
    Regards

Neil.

Hey there!

Have you noticed any trends in where the conversions have dropped off? Is it a particular traffic source, device or browser? You should be able to look at this information on your analytics. Has your overall traffic dropped? or particular products which were selling well which aren't any longer?

Yes, take a look at your home page on my Mac that is using Chrome.

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 20.49.37.jpg

There is something wrong with the layout for me, the left categories navigation is overlapping the main/middle content (or the other way around)

Also there is no obvious route back to the home page.

Quote Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
    Yes, take a look at your home page on my Mac that is using Chrome.

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 20.49.37.jpg
    I see the same thing again using Chrome and IE but it doesn't seem to cause a problem with the navigation so I'd be surprised if it was that.

Also, It only seems to affect the homepage, I'm guessing it's due to the fact this page has a right column also.

Briefly

Tidy up the website
    remove VAT pricing (you are selling retail)
    get rid of the text on the images (google hate it and will penalise)
    Tidy up the delivery (confusing)
    get yourself on google shopping
    get a SSL
    Dont force customer to enter a telephone number on checkout (do you need it, can I be bothered to enter more information than I need to)
    get rid of currency option as you don't ship outside the uk
    remove any off putting information, such as:

ALL PARCELS MUST BE SIGNED FOR ON DELIVERY
    We can't accept comments such as leave in shed, sorry

people will still ask if you put it or not, don't tell them it needs signing for, in the nicest way possible it is their problem.

rename product titles where needed, ie:

Wilton - Princess Carriage tin
    to
    Princess Carriage Birthday Cake Tin, by Wilton

before anything get an SSL, then remove the overlaps on the front page, and then remove the links embedded in the images

Quote Originally Posted by damsel View Post
    Hi,

There is a fairly major issue in the fact that you don't have a dedicated mobile site. Smart phone usage now surpasses desktop & laptop surfing, so it is imperative that you cater for these otherwise Google will penalise your ranking position (at least on searches carried out on a mobile anyway). Also, it's not just to please Google as it can be frustrating for users when presented with a desktop site on a mobile sized screen that requires a lot a squinting, pinching, zooming and can be slow to load compared to a streamlined mobile site.

Bluepark offers a dedicated mobile site and it works very well, but you need to set it up first. Cate's done a full guide on how to do this here: https://www.bluepark.co.uk/blog/mobi...k-website.html

As others have mentioned, clicking on your logo to return to your homepage is considered the norm, but your site doesn't do this. This can be especially confusing if you enter a site directly via a product page for example as then you can't even click the 'back' button in the browser. I'm also experiencing the same issue where the left hand menu is overlapping with the products.

After having to REALLY search, I see you offer free UK postage on orders of 30 upwards - I would definitely mention this somewhere quite prominent on the homepage as personally speaking, this is one of the first things I look for when shopping online and it nearly always encourages me to spend more in order to take advantage of it.

Due to the nature of your business I assume it has scope for a lot of repeat custom, so why not think about introducing a loyalty point system to encourage people to return and purchase again. Other things I'd suggest is the option to sign-up for a newsletter so you can send regular mail shots of the latest products and offers, social media 'share' icons on the homepage other than just Google+ and a blog (great for SEO!).

I appreciate web designers can be expensive, but Bluepark now offer a selection of new templates which will give your site a new look and feel with very little effort. it will also give you the option to have a dynamic menu across the top (again, now the norm) instead of/as well as the left hand menu. I would also go with 4 or 3 products across and not 5 as it just makes everything look too cramped and the images to small to see the product clearly.

With some changes I'm sure you'll soon get things back on track!!

Mike
    Last edited by Mikey; 06-09-2016 at 23:38.

Hi, Thank you Neil,
    no we don't have an ssl certificate, it's something I have been looking at so we can integrate the checkout with SagePay, is this what you were thinking?
    Thank you

Thank you so much, we will definitely look at the mobile site, and we'll be looking at the other issues.
    Thank you again for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Thank you so much, lots of things for us to work on, thank you for the advice on parcel signing too.

Thank you, we haven't seen this overlap before so we definitely need to see what we can do to change this, I would like to change to drop down menu's but so far have struggled with the templates.

From the products I looked at it appears you are using the same Meta Description and Meta Keywords for all your products. Presumably you have these setup as defaults in the site-->configuration-->site options tab ?

Would suggest you do through your products one by one and enter something in the Meta Data tab which is more specific to the product you are editing.
    Regards,

Dave

Thank you Dave, we'll look into this, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    From the products I looked at it appears you are using the same Meta Description and Meta Keywords for all your products. Presumably you have these setup as defaults in the site-->configuration-->site options tab ?

Would suggest you do through your products one by one and enter something in the Meta Data tab which is more specific to the product you are editing.

site-->configuration-->site options tab Do these default boxes for meta title and description need to be empty if we use our own for each product. It seems for us that Google uses their own, depending whats on our product page.