Thread: Royal Mail Delivery Confirmation

Default Royal Mail Delivery Confirmation

Royal Mail have recently announcing that all standard class postage will effectively have a tracking number that will enable a delivery confirmation for 1st and 2nd Class postage from early 2017. Speaking to my RM manager he said that their pilot has worked well and fraud has been vastly reduced in the trial. The Postman/woman will now barcode all 1st and 2nd class post with a barcode as it goes through the letterbox effectively eliminating 'denial-of-receipt' claims.

It also rewards the retailers who ship fast and are professional in marketplaces such as Ebay and Amazon as both these marketplaces will have visibility of the timestamps end-to-end. It will be trivial for them to work out who is shipping fast and reward these suppliers with higher feedback and placement opportunities.

Internally for RM , having a barcode on 1st and 2nd class will give them less excuse for lost or delayed mail as it passes through the inbound and outbound mail depots. At least two more internal trackpoints mean they can isolate any missing mail to the last trackpoint and walk forward from there.

Although I have stated this before I think that lack of access to the Tracking Number field via the API will become a major hole in the Bluepark offering.
    If you can't access the Tracking Number field via the API then visibility of this post-sales effectively stops as this is the key field in the process. The trail runs cold and we are back to cut and pasting tracking IDs from one website to another which may work for some people but more enlightened competitors may see an opportunity to connect them.

The Bluepark process stops when the Order status changes to 'Completed' BUT we know that there is a large post-sales element to retailing e.g. returns, 'when will it arrive', 'Its been lost in the post and its your fault' etc.

I am not looking for an application or additional processes, we can build these ourselves and ultimately share with BP customers if they consider it worthy.

With visibility of post-sales so much more progressive and proactive techniques could take place. These are two dots that are begging to be connected....
    Does anybody else see this opportunity?
    Regards
    Rob

We have had good results with this new system - we have been able to track non delivered items that mostly then get found by the recipient once we send the tracking. We use RMDMO so we download our shipped orders via csv then upload it into BP and that way it includes the tracking numbers. Only problem now is that parcels that have this new internal tracking can confuse customers who think they should be able to track their parcel. We put a big note in bold saying this is not a tracking number but we do still get calls asking why it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
    We have had good results with this new system - we have been able to track non delivered items that mostly then get found by the recipient once we send the tracking. We use RMDMO so we download our shipped orders via csv then upload it into BP and that way it includes the tracking numbers. Only problem now is that parcels that have this new internal tracking can confuse customers who think they should be able to track their parcel. We put a big note in bold saying this is not a tracking number but we do still get calls asking why it won't work.
    I'm not sure you are talking about the RM Tracked 24/48 service in general or you are actually in the pilot area for Delivery Confirmations. Either way tracked mail is the way forward for whatever class of mail you are sending. If you use RM 1st and 2nd class this could make a big difference.

To add to your comment about the AA123455678GB type number that now appears on the label, we have never had a call about customers being confused that BUT the RM Manager did say that the fact that customers think that they or more importantly you can track it reduces ' denial-of-receipt' claims. He said when you ask them for the 'tracking number' to investigate over the phone they ring back and say that they have just 'found' it. So there are advantages! Channels such as Ebay and Amazon are so focused on customer service they will invariably refund the customer no matter what. End-to-end tracking for Amazon/Ebay will give them huge insight into their suppliers shipping times and they will reward the quantifiable fast shippers. It tips the scales slightly towards the professional online retailer a bit more.
    Rob

We have both, the official Tracked 24/48 but also the new pilot scheme for delivery confirmations. It is not fully there yet as I believe when you log into RMDMO it will have a green tick next to the item if it was delivered. However we sent a normal 1st Class parcel out which was not received. We tracked it using the new secret RMDMO tracking system and it tracked as being delivered to the address or a neighbour.

What I was talking about above is that if you use the csv file from RMDMO, the tracking number field is populated for all parcels regardless of them being sent normal first class or a tracked service. This in turn populates the BP system when you import it and then the customer gets the tracking number included on their notification email from BP. However this number does not work on the RM front end. What we are finding is you have to use the T&T POD button inside RMDMO which uses the longer numeric tracking number and it is that that provides the basic tracking information. We probably get three or four calls or emails a week asking why the tracking number is not working from customers whose parcels went normal post.

Ahh, I see, we zap the barcode off the label into the dispatch advice reference field directly, so we are filtering out the non-tracked AAnnnnnnnnnnGB numbers. I can see that in the BP Tracking No field it might give problems. The good news is that it might only be a few more months. I hope you find a way around it soon.
    Rob