Thread: Changing Additonal Images

Default Changing Additonal Images

This is doing my nut in, I am hoping there is a faster way than the solution I think I will have to do.

I have a product with one main image, and one additional image. I want to change the additional image. The additional image replacement has a different file name to the first one I had. In the product manager, I deleted the additional image by pressing the red X. I then uploaded the new image with its new file name. The BP system then ignores this new image and reinstates the original one.

I believe it is doing this due to the frustrating way the system deals with additional images - instead of using the actual name, it uses mainimage[1].jpg. Therefore when I add my new image, it defaults back to mainimage[1].jpg instead.

Am I right in thinking that the only way to get around this is to go in the file manager and manually delete the first additional image so that the replacement can take its place? Or the other option is to rename the main image, and reload that too. I have loads of very similar products to amend and I could easily add the wrong replacement image to a product, so I wanted to stay in the product manager and make sure I am uploading the right one each time. It seems a weird convoluted way to change one image per product.

I don't think it should be reloading the additional image but you should get round it by adding the new image first, then deleting the the previous one.

The whole additional image procedure is really convoluted. I had one picture which was an additional image on 5 products and when I decided it wasn't needed on one of the five, deleting from there deleted it off the other 4 and I had to reinstate it on each one individually! BPs suggestion that you cope with this by having 5 copies of all the images with different file names works but makes it even more complex.
    Gerard

http://www.caressa.co.uk

10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13

Aha good idea - it will give the new additional image file name of [2] and then I can delete [1]

Yes I agree it is very convoluted. Last night I accidentally made the main image what I wanted to be the additional image. Despite reordering by dragging, or pressing the red X to delete, and finally using the Clear All Images function, the infernal thing persisted. What was frustrating was the tiny thumbnail on the images tab showed the image I wanted, but click it or view the product, and the enlarged result was the wrong one.

I tend to agree, the whole system with product images, seems to have a mind of it's own, I nearly picked up my laptop and chucked it through the window (it was closed at the time)
    Steve.
    "Just because you seen it on the internet, does not make it true or right" -Abraham Lincoln
    www.designerpicturemounts.com Photo mounts, Heart Shaped Mounts, and many other Shaped Photo Mounts

bluepark10 -10%

There's a knock-on to this, and perhaps somebody else could confirm if I am right?

When putting products on Amazon by feed, the Amazon upload csv police seem to reject a link to an image using the characters "[1]". This means that I have a separate directory on BP with the secondary and tertiary images etc with their original name. Which wouldn't be necessary if BP had accepted it in the first place.

The Man from Mars looks down on this and scratches his head - again!

Am I right or just being dim again?

SOLUTION TO ADDITIONAL IMAGE APPEARING TO RETAIN OLD FILE: USE A DIFFERENT BROWSER - CAUSED BY BROWSING CACHING OLD IMAGE FILE (refreshing browser doesn't seem to work)

I had exactly the same problem when trying to upload a new additional image - the old one kept appearing but the thumbnail for the additional image in the Product Editor/Images screen was displaying the new image. I rang Bluepark and they advised me that the Bluepark system was working correctly but that my browser was caching the old image. Loading the page in another browser confirmed that the new image had actually loaded. I was using Chrome when I encountered the problem and when the page was launched in Edge it displayed the new image.

BUT one issue remains: How do visitors whose browsers have cached the old image know that they need to open the website in a new browser? I noticed my mobile phone had also cached the old image and reloading didn't work there either.

It would be good to avoid this caching issue altogether. Is this problem caused by the fact that the system retains the same filename? If it could loop through alternative names when a file was replaced then perhaps the issue would be solved entirely? Re: Amazon issue - if the files had alpha numeric identifier instead of the [1] then perhaps that problem would also be solved. I'll send these suggestions in to Bluepark.

N.B. I found flushing the image cache on my Chrome browser the most effective solution as that meant I could see the changes made in the Bluepark system. I did this using the following method:

top right menu --> more tools --> clear browsing data --> tick ‘cached images and file’, (it was set to clearing images and files downloaded in the last hour).

For other browsers: Google 'clearing the cache on your_browser's_name'

Can you not just hold ctrl+F5?

Ian

Yeah, but what about customers returning to your site, they will most probably still see the old image
    Steve.
    "Just because you seen it on the internet, does not make it true or right" -Abraham Lincoln
    www.designerpicturemounts.com Photo mounts, Heart Shaped Mounts, and many other Shaped Photo Mounts

bluepark10 -10%

Quote Originally Posted by MountMan View Post
    Yeah, but what about customers returning to your site, they will most probably still see the old image
    Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about this as it's down to the browsers behaviour. When you first visit a website the images are downloaded and cached so that it loads faster on future visits and so that any images shared elsewhere on the site (logo etc.) don't need to be downloaded again.

Assuming the customer doesn't clean out their cache very often then the only solution is to upload the new image with a different name.

Mike