Thread: It's been a long time

Default It's been a long time

Hello and good evening,

Many moons ago I had a small business and a couple of Bluepark sites and to cut a long story short recession hit and I made a couple of bad decisions and lost everything. The worst part of it was going into bankruptcy and even though it was over 5 years ago and I was discharged in 6 months my credit rating is less than ideal, I now have a new idea and looking to set up another site in September but really struggling with how to handle card payments, I don't want to set up a business bank/merchant account and it's unlikely I would get one so looking to use Paypal to handle everything.

What are everyone's thoughts, I know with their pro service you can keep customers on your site so it seems this might be an ok option until I build the business to a level that warrants something else.

Any help or advice would be greatly received, thanks in advance.

S

Hi Stuart

I find Paypal Pro to be excellent and it works seamlessly with BP and very easy to set up with a good checkout experience for the customer.

I am not sure how much you have looked into Pro, but if you haven't then be aware that it is quite different from normal Paypal and is probably as difficult to get as a merchant account (although I believe they take into account the history on your Paypal account which might make it easier)

Welcome back and all the best for your new enterprise!

I agree. I was with Sage and a bank - which was two companies to deal with rather than one - and switched to PayPal Pro. Best move I could have made, and a lot less complicated to set up, administer and work with. In fact I now virtually never think about it, just draw down the money. Go for it, and good luck.

Paypal are far to expensive but it gives you a start.

It depends on your volume of business. I have a very good rate and an account manager who is very helpful. As others have said, it is easy to set up and customers seem to like Paypal.
    Bengalcat

Quote Originally Posted by rijam View Post
    Paypal are far to expensive but it gives you a start.
    But with PayPal, you do not need a Merchant Bank, so its only one set of fees to PayPal, rather than, pay a gateway, and then a merchant bank to process, for example customers paid me 145, the total fee was 2.24, that's 1.5% of the total transaction.

Hi Stuart,

(Been there in the past, so understand the hassles)
    Paypal (standard) don't usually check credit history, only address, but they do a simple check with Pro.
    So I started with paypal standard, then after 6 months went to pro with no problems.

Banks, let alone Merchant accounts didn't want to touch me unless we had a 30K deposit security!
    Good Luck with it - it's worth the hassle!
    G.

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, seems like PP standard will be the way to go and then upgrade to the pro version after 6 months or so, awesome replies and thanks again, looking forward to starting again.

S