Thread: Problems with website thumbnail images on FB shared links

Default Problems with website thumbnail images on FB shared links

Recently when we (or other people) have shared links to our website, the automatic thumbnail image is missing, instead we just get a blank space. I've tried with a few other BP sites and get the same results, but other websites seem to load OK. Any ideas? It's as though FB can't pick up images from our website.

I have suffered with this issue for ages and have had to resolve the issue by always uploading original images to FB. It would be nice if someone from BP would pick up on this thread and look into the problem.
    Gill

Oh yes this annoyance. We have suffered it for ages, and we also get something else too. Sometimes the image will be a totally random one buried deep inside a tab. We shared a product and the image on FB was for a metal keyring that I had shown in a tab as a small example image. I could not get it to show anything else. This issue has never been resolved.

I just thought that FB picked an image at random. Gill and KayJay are right - so annoying!

I've just googled "how does facebook get thumbnails for links" and it looks like there is some explanation for it all. I certainly did not know about "Open Graph" and "og: image"

Perhaps this Quora article explains it best : https://www.quora.com/How-does-Faceb...posting-a-link

More work it seems ....

OK, so I've done some more research on this and yes, Chris is right about the og:image.

There is a Facebook tool that shows you what information Facebook 'sees' when links to your site are shared:

https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing/

And yes, it would seem that some of the og properties are missing from BP pages

FACEBOOK.jpg

I am guessing that is something that only BP can fix?
    Gill

I guess you could do a lot of this by csv upload. If there are 3 or 4 types of page on a BP site they could be dealt with like this

1) Category & Product pages : if they have images already, download the data for them and upload the right data as og: image by csv to the head section.
    2) Content pages (and most sites don't have too many, I suppose) - you'd have to put something manually into the optional code > head section of each page.
    3) Basket/checkout pages we can't access the head section - would you want to share one of these on FB anyway?

BP could add these og: data bits as fields on the optional code page, I guess. But I don't know what the demand would be - I only heard of og: yesterday!

If I have understood all of this correctly, 1) above wouldn't take too long if one is Excel savvy, and there probably aren't too many in 2) you'd link to, so perhaps not too onerous.

I'd like to hear from anybody with og: expertise/knowledge ....

OG has been previously discussed and I think it was related to this issue when it was first raised a few years ago.

I wouldn't be up to sorting this by CSV and would like Richard to look at it if possible?

Sometimes (many times) Facebook chooses the wrong size photo (one that's too big) or just the wrong one from a number of photos on a page.

To fix this you need to supply the OG tags yourself.

Add these into the OPTIONAL CODE / HEAD SECTION (DEVELOPERS) of your product or category (or indeed any page you want to SHARE).

Even though you only want to fix the OG:IMAGE, as a minimum you must supply these 5 OG tags.

Use the Facebook Debugger to scrape the page until the correct image results in your SHARE.

Code:
    <meta property="og:url" content="https://www.honorssheltersapica.com/sponsor-a-dog-bambi.html" />
    <meta property="og:type" content="article" />
    <meta property="og:title" content="Sponsor A Rescue Dog | Sponsor Bambi" />
    <meta property="og:description" content="Sponsor  Bambi. Bambi is a 3 year old male, medium sized dog. He is of mixed  breed and sandy brown in colour. He is good with children and other  dogs. He is neutered, vaccinated and microchipped." />
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://www.honorssheltersapica.com/user/products/bambi-1.jpg" />

Thanks Red, this is helpful, although looks rather labour-intensive for sites with many products, as it would rely on us remembering to update the optional code each time we modified the image / description etc. It would be useful to have some feedback from Bluepark to see if these OG properties could be added as standard, picking up the main product image / description etc.?

Totally agree. With the imcreasing importance of Facebook this must be something that everyone needs sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by little-linguist View Post
    Thanks Red, this is helpful, although looks rather labour-intensive for sites with many products, as it would rely on us remembering to update the optional code each time we modified the image / description etc. It would be useful to have some feedback from Bluepark to see if these OG properties could be added as standard, picking up the main product image / description etc.?
    Gill

Looking to do more with facebook so started reading this thread with interest

Soooo, I used the https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing/ to check out our site. It said the last time it had been scraped was February, so I scraped again today. Bit of a scary result

Warning that should be fixed.

URL 'https://www.poniesonparade.co.uk/user/retail onlycolour1.jpg' for property 'og:image:url' of the object at 'https://www.poniesonparade.co.uk/' is invalid because it contains whitespace characters.

No idea what this means, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for any replies
    We will overcome the big boys - eventually

Quote Originally Posted by PoniesOnParade View Post
    No idea what this means, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for any replies
    It doesn't like it because your image filename contains a space retail onlycolour1.jpg instead of retailonlycolour1.jpg or retail-onlycolour1.jpg
    Regards,

Dave

Thanks for reply Dave, but where will I find this file. Will it be listed in file manager
    We will overcome the big boys - eventually