Thread: My website down - IP banned??

Default My website down - IP banned??

Hi everyone

I just discovered I can't access my website, I either get a blank page or an "access denied" message. I check on the BluePark status page and it says server ok but my IP address is banned. I've emailed support but I realise it's out of hours.

Feeling rather nervous and concerned - anyone know what on earth this could be about?

Thanks
    Julie
    Visit Night Owl Creative for hand-crafted jewellery and gifts, with 10% off for Blueparkers - code "BPark10"

Actually not sure if it's just my location that can't access the site or if it's blocked to everyone - could somebody kindly click on the Night Owl Creative link in my signature and let me know please?

I'm feeling nervous because I've been victim of online fraud quite recently, so this just seems really suspicious.

Thanks so much
    Julie
    Visit Night Owl Creative for hand-crafted jewellery and gifts, with 10% off for Blueparkers - code "BPark10"

I can see your site fine. You haven't accidentally blocked your own IP address ?
    Regards,

Dave

It's working fine for me, try clearing your cache and restart your browser
    Chris

Hi Dave and Chris, thank you both for your help.

I have got the same problem on three different computers here, all connected to the same broadband, but I also tried from my phone, using its 3G data connection (I turned off wifi) and I have the same Access Denied message on all.

I've also tried from both Firefox and Chrome browsers, same problem, so it doesn't seem like a cache issue.

I have no clue how to block or unblock my IP address, but if I had done it accidentally, I'd expect my site to work via my phone's connection? I am so confused!

Thanks
    Julie

Update:

Very pleased to report that I had a reply from BP support and the problem is fixed. Hope it's ok to quote part of the explanation:

"In your Admin Console I found a file that our system created banning an IP Address. It does this for security purposes when a site is being scanned too quickly. I have removed the file so if that was the only problem it should be okay now."

Still don't really understand why it happened, but I appreciate the quick fix. Bravo BP!

Julie

No I don't understand that, it sounds like something BP have got in place to protect our sites. But glad you've got it sorted
    Chris

while your compouters and phone could be banned based on your IP, you would have a different IP address when using your phones data connection.

Seems strange that both were showing as banned

Not sure why Bluepark would ban your IP. But with reference to the file If an IP is identified as causing an unusually large traffic spike with a very short period of time I believe that the IP is temporarily banned via a file created in your user directory called banlist.txt
    Last edited by Dave; 30-08-2017 at 07:56.
    Regards,

Dave

Default Ip banning

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    while your compouters and phone could be banned based on your IP, you would have a different IP address when using your phones data connection.

Seems strange that both were showing as banned
    partially true. If the router's IP address is the one thats banned then nothing connected to it would find the site.