Thread: Braintree on-site payments - MOTO checkout

Default Braintree on-site payments - MOTO checkout

Hi,

We are looking at switching to Braintree from our Sagepay/Worldpay gateway/acquirer combo. The main driver for this is that we currently have to process MOTO order card payments in Sagepay's virtual terminal which is very time consuming and fraught with potential error as the customer details have to be entered all over again (we don't have an API to pull customer order data across). However, in the integration with Braintree that BP have carried out customers can enter their card payment details directly on the web site as part of the checkout process and it appears that you can still do this when logged in as admin doing a MOTO order for the customer. I've spoken to BP and they say that this is possible because under admin login the 3D secure function is disabled so you only need card number, expiry date and CVV.

Before we make the switch I wanted to be 100% sure this was the case so does anyone have any experience of processing cards like this? If this wasn't the case it would be a disaster for us as the Braintree virtual terminal is even more time consuming than Sagepay's!

Thanks,
    Paul

Don't have an answer to your query, but just to say that we currently use SagePay and can place a MOTO order directly via our website, i.e. not using SagePay's virtual terminal. We simply use the 'remote control/view as user' function and place the order on behalf of the customer (including entering their card details - no 3D secure details needed). The website then links directly to SagePay to process the payment. So, all details of the order are entered only once.

Hi bornfree,

Thanks for that, very interesting. We tried processing cards through Sagepay that way as well but came across the 3D secure issue so gave up and resorted to the virtual terminal.

OK, so epic fail here. We've been processing cards offline via the Sagepay virtual terminal for over 3 years now, unaware that having a MOTO account meant we by-passed the 3D secure feature and could process them directly from our website.

Downside - don't I look stupid...
    Upside - our life just got a whole lot easier!

Thanks bornfree for the steer. A little gem of info.

Paul

No problem. Glad to have been of help - although have to say that Braintree does look a whole lot cheaper than our current set-up!

Yes I think we still may switch as you can combine gateway and acquirer into one and save the sagepay monthly fees (for us about 35 or so). It also means customers are kept on-site for payment which is more streamlined than having to go off to the Sagpay site.

You can also keep customers onsite with Sagepay. And the 32 Sagepay fee equates to 160 orders at 20p per transaction that Braintree charges.

Quote Originally Posted by greggrant View Post
    You can also keep customers onsite with Sagepay.
    Are there not PCI DSS compliance implications for this?

If you use Sagepay 'inFrame' the PCI requirements are fairly minimal.

OK thanks - will look into it.

Take your point about the 20p per transaction cost. I will need to check our current acquirer's per transaction rates to see how they compare with Braintree's.

We have been taking card payments on Braintree with MOTO without a problem, if that now becomes an issue for you again.

Great - thanks for the confirmation.

Bear in mind that if you take MOTO payments and bypass the 3D check then you will almost certainly have no fraud protection and be liable for the chargeback
    Gerard

http://www.caressa.co.uk

10% discount for Blueparkers - use couponcode bluepark13

I always use the moto function on our BP admin panel, and enter directly onto the website - bypassing sage pay virtual terminal, Just shows Paul, that these little things that are available on the BP platform aren't always apparent, and are little godsends.

It would be great to have some kind of user manual for BP, that took you through all of the features and how to work them (Now I will probably look stupid, and someone will tell me that there is a comprehensive BP manual haha)

Glad you've now found out about it, and its made life a whole lot easier :-)

p.s you didn't look stupid at all - and, as usual the forum members have come up trumps with their knowledge :-)

Terry
    Terry