Thread: Discounts based on margins

Default Discounts based on margins

I've been playing with fixed discounts by customer (private discounts) and user groups.
    1st I created a 10% one and experimented with that excluding an item by limiting the pricing code.
    Then I went to add a 5% one and found out you can only assign 1 discount to both users and customers.
    I find this is a bit of a broad brush as the level of discount I offer is based on my one margins : The more expensive the item the less margin I have in it as a rule.
    Does anyone know a way around this? I also offer my best trade customers a fixed margin price and I can't see a way of doing this either.

Quote Originally Posted by MDINAITALIA View Post
    I've been playing with fixed discounts by customer (private discounts) and user groups.
    1st I created a 10% one and experimented with that excluding an item by limiting the pricing code.
    Then I went to add a 5% one and found out you can only assign 1 discount to both users and customers.
    I find this is a bit of a broad brush as the level of discount I offer is based on my one margins : The more expensive the item the less margin I have in it as a rule.
    Does anyone know a way around this? I also offer my best trade customers a fixed margin price and I can't see a way of doing this either.

Hi Mdinaitalia

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do. However my best guess is something like we have done, where all people get a discount on site, however for our Trade Customers they get a % off every item (variable by category) excluding certain items that are Out of Print or Rare. These items carry a different percentage discount, however the category discount still applies, this can be done for multiple user groups!

Feel free to PM me!

Thanks Tim
    So if I understand this correctly:

If I create discounts of say 5,10,12.5, 15, 20%
    I could then put a high margin part in part code A then create a 20% discount . Then on to put a low margin part in E and create a 5% discount and so on

Then create user groups of 20% down to a 5%
    Then add the trade user to each of the groups
    And the end result is that they would have variable discount based on the % attributed to any part code?

Regards
    Andrew

Hi Andrew

Ok, we don't use the price coding structure so not sure if this will help but I can try.

What I did is the following (using the below as an example product)

https://www.lovechristianbooks.com/c...857460257.html

1. In the back-end both the selling price, and the list price are the same.
    2. I then created a 10% discount in the Discount Manager that applies 9.99 - 8.99 lowering the price to 8.99
    3. Then I went to back to Discount Manager and created a private discount called Trade - Books
    4. I applied any book categories, to Trade - Books, including the one containing my example (this applies 60% off on books)
    5. I then created a user group called "Trade" and applied Trade - Books as a private discount
    6. However although all the books are now at 60% off to the Trade - I want this title to carry less discount because it is out of print and rare so I go into User Groups>"Trade">Pricing Exceptions and add my example but change the price to 20.00 which over-rides the 9.99 RRP. This means that all the books are at 60% off except for this one which is 20% off - as the 60% now comes off the 20.00 not the 9.99 as everything else does.

Hope this helps

Cheers Tim
    I've attacked it a different way.
    1. Create 5,7.5,10,12.5,15,17.5,20,25% discounts in the Discount manager.
    2. Each discount has a different Qualifying pricing code.
    3 Assigned the user all the private discounts.
    So all I need to do now is assign each part/SKU ( only 4000+) a pricing code letter to match the one associated with the discount % I want to offer.
    With a bit of excel export from Quickbooks then a bit of excel: formula/math/logic/if's I can calculate the appropriate letter based on my margins then save as csv then import.

Hope that makes sense. I tried it making a basket with 2 parts and it worked fine.

Regards
    Andrew