Thread: How Did You Hear About Us?

Default How Did You Hear About Us?

Hi all, we never normally do any magazine advertising, (but saving you from a long story) have decided to run an advert for a few months. We just wondered how we could find out whether anyone who purchases from our site came from the advert? The obvious thing is a discount code in the advert but we didn't want to do this. Is there a way of putting something on our website asking "how did you hear about us? or something similar at checkout which would be useful information wherever people come from and for the future too? Does anyone have any views or ideas? If this is the way to do it how would I approach it. I guess it would need to go on the checkout page, not sure the best way or place for such a thing?

Many thanks in advance.
    Kim

Easiest short term fix would be the customer comments field, but then you are only getting the ones who go through the checkout.

Try a poll on the site using the user poll manager on the product pages.

Used to spend a lot on magazine ads - only do one now. Money is better spent on content.
    Regards

Neil.

Hi Neil thanks for that. Yes we gave up magazine adverts years ago but wanted to do it specifically in one only which is very related to our type of product, you are right that content is better.

By "customer comments" I use that for delivery info so may confuse things, I will check out the user poll, never used that before.

Thank you for replying.
    Kim

We do this by creating a form in "Form Manager" then use the "Addition Manager" to include it on the first page of checkout
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.T. View Post
    We do this by creating a form in "Form Manager" then use the "Addition Manager" to include it on the first page of checkout
    Hi Chris, do you mean you put it on the Personal Information Page? Im trying it, I created the form and addtion but cannot see how to get it onto the Checkout Page?

Thanks.

Make sure you have selected the form in the attributes setting and selected "One form per Order" and ticked the box "First page of checkout"
    Chris

Make sure you have selected the form in the attributes setting and selected "One form per Order" and ticked the box "First page of checkout"
    Do you mean attributes or addition, in your earlier post you said additions, or perhaps you mean both?

Thanks.
    Kim

Sorry I'm confusing you now. I ment additions
    Last edited by R.O.T.; 06-03-2018 at 09:44. Reason: I'm an idiot
    Chris

Sorry I'm confusing you now. I ment additions
    Many thanks Chris, thanks for taking the time to explain it all.

Quote Originally Posted by niche View Post
    Hi Chris, do you mean you put it on the Personal Information Page? Im trying it, I created the form and addtion but cannot see how to get it onto the Checkout Page?

Thanks.
    Hi Chris I have been playing around with this and it seems to show the form question and answer on the invoice and the despatch note and against the product, is that the case for you too, not sure it looks right like that? Still need to have a look at doing it as a poll too to see how that looks.

Thanks.

In the Addition manager set "Selectable" to No.

It's a few years since I set it up but I think that was how I solved that problem
    Chris

In the Addition manager set "Selectable" to No.

It's a few years since I set it up but I think that was how I solved that problem
    it is on "No" I assume it doesn't show on your invoices etc then?

No it only shows in the back end. I've attached a screen shot of my settings if that helps.

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 21.26.58.jpg
    Chris

In Configuration > Orders, I've also unticked display Additions on Invoices and delivery notes
    Chris

In Configuration > Orders, I've also unticked display Additions on Invoices and delivery notes
    OK, that will be it then, thanks so much for all your help tonight!

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by niche View Post
    OK, that will be it then, thanks so much for all your help tonight!

Kim
    Yes Chris, its now sorted, just needed to untick those two little boxes! So grateful to you!

Glad I could help
    Chris