Thread: New seller choosing ecommerce platform

Default New seller choosing ecommerce platform

Hi all,
    I am in the UK and looking at starting to drop ship as a sole trader from a UK supplier and I have been searching for hosted platforms like shopify, shopwired etc but I am leaning towards bluepark from what I have read online. I just have a few questions.

1. Is the 500mb package enough to start out with? Maybe 50-100 products with 2 or 3 good quality images each? Is this just to cover hosted images and private emails? Or is it better to go with a higher plan since they don't cost much more?

2. How does the payment system work? I would prefer a UK based platform and to have a 3dsecure supported payment system. Still not sure how this works, I was looking at sage pay, so would that mean a bluepark payment plan and a sage pay payment plan?

3. Do I need a merchant account? Or separate bank account for the business costs?

4. With bluepark, can I heavily edit the templates to add my own touches? I was reading about a bluepark editor, does this still exist? Eg is it more than just editing the font and colours?

I am still very new to ecommerce and sales so I apologise if any of the questions seem silly.

Thank you.

Hi,

I would recommend you sign up for the 14 day free trial which will give you plenty of time to evaluate the software.

1. Is the 500mb package enough to start out with? Maybe 50-100 products with 2 or 3 good quality images each? Is this just to cover hosted images and private emails? Or is it better to go with a higher plan since they don't cost much more? The 500mb limit will cover file, database and e-mail storage and should be ample for 100 products. Have a look at the comparison chart as you may need features which are only available in the higher packages. However, it's very easy to upgrade at a later date

2. How does the payment system work? I would prefer a UK based platform and to have a 3dsecure supported payment system. Still not sure how this works, I was looking at sage pay, so would that mean a bluepark payment plan and a sage pay payment plan? Bluepark doesn't have it's down payment system and instead interfaces with most of the main PSP's on the market and many do charge including SagePay.

3. Do I need a merchant account? Or separate bank account for the business costs? I would say yes and yes to both of these if you are looking for a UK payment provider

4. With bluepark, can I heavily edit the templates to add my own touches? I was reading about a bluepark editor, does this still exist? Eg is it more than just editing the font and colours? Yes you can modify templates if you have knowledge of HTML and CSS

Play with the free trial and any problems post here but don't be afraid to pick up phone and speak to BP support.
    Regards,

Dave

Hi, thank you for replying.

I will have a go at the free trial to see how it is, can I actually make a (non live) website with it just to preview? I don't have a domain name yet.

I will have a look at the different payment providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    I will have a go at the free trial to see how it is, can I actually make a (non live) website with it just to preview? I don't have a domain name.
    yes the site will sit on a sub domain. If you decide to proceed Bluepark can transfer your trial website to your live domain.
    Regards,

Dave

Hi, thank you for the reply. I am finding it great and will probably upgrade from the trial.