Thread: Request For Improvement To BP Sitemap Generator

Default Request For Improvement To BP Sitemap Generator

Bluepark is excellent at handling large product databases - I have around 45,000 on mine, and it still runs at top speed. I would recommend it to anyone with a large inventory who is thinking of migrating to Bluepark.

However, there is an (acknowledged by BP) limit on the number of products that it will put in the sitemap.xml - I recently went over that limit, and without my realising, my sitemap went from 45000 items to 340 (BP only puts categories into the sitemap if the sitemap has exceed Google's file size limit, so no products are included at all).

I've got round this for now, by removing some of my older, less popular products, and bringing the size of the product database down by about 3,000 items.

However, as time goes by, and new products are launched, my inventory will grow, and I will hit this problem again (the bad thing is that you don't know you've hit a problem until you look at your Google Webmaster Tools and realise that the sitemap is tiny).

So - suggestions for BP developers. Either:

1. Display a (big) warning message in the BP home screen if the sitemap has just gone over the limit.

2. (Preferred) Google allows for much bigger sitemaps by using a 'index' sitemap which points it to the correct 'items' sitemap (It's like a 2 level tree structure). So the sitemaps can be automatically split into 2 or more separate files if the limit is reached.

I'm sure most other BP users will not encounter this problem. It's just me - I have a large inventory, mostly books for sale.

Andy Rigby
    www.christianbits.co.uk

I was not aware of this issue. Our stock listings are similarly large, and I imagine we will hit that quota within the next 6-12 months.

We too chose to use BP due to it's capabilities with very large product counts.
    Joe

Joe

Interesting to find another Blueparker with a large inventory. What is your website address?

Best wishes

Andy

That doesn't sound good. Yes, there should at least be a warning. Having to delete products to keep a full sitemap is a bit pants.

Quote Originally Posted by softap View Post
    Interesting to find another Blueparker with a large inventory. What is your website address?
    We're www.scorestore.co.uk
    Joe

Joe

Great site, I love it. We share at least one common supplier (Kevin Mayhew).

I'd be interested to know how you got the site header image to go right across the page, including the search box. I had assumed that this wasn't possible with Bluepark.

Best wishes

Andy

I'd be interested to know how you got the site header image to go right across the page, including the search box. I had assumed that this wasn't possible with Bluepark.
    Hi Andy,

I'd love to help with that, but I'd need to refer you to my site designer, Chris Tutthill, at Whyte Studio. He seemed to be able to do anything we wanted!

Yes, we order regularly from KM, sometimes they even have what we want in stock!
    Joe

Joe

Best wishes

Andy
    The blue background is just a PNG image that has been set as a repeating tile that spans across the header. The logo and musical notes are also PNG's but with transparent backgrounds. The search bar is just sitting in the forefront behind the repeating background tile.

Mike