Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Admin Updates - What Do we think

Quote Originally Posted by Les78 View Post
    You can switch the lightbox preview off by going to Users>Admin Users>Your User Name>Scroll down to Admin Panel Personalisation>View Site Previews In>Change from Lightbox to New Tab
    oh thank god, that lightbox was getting really​ annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
    oh thank god, that lightbox was getting really​ annoying!
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with all the links, some still open in a lightbox
    Chris

Indeed, just figured that out - but it has fixed the most annoying ones...

OK, so more appears to have been done than just a tidy up of the navigation. I am finding copies of products are now live (green flagged) buy default instead of being red flagged by default. Also, the product urls appear to change now when you change or tweak a product name. I don't like this at all and would like to switch it off.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.T. View Post
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with all the links, some still open in a lightbox
    Is it just my browser (Chrome) playing up, or is trying to do stuff in the lightbox just stupidly slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Deefer View Post
    copies of products are now live (green flagged) buy default instead of being red flagged by default.
    Yes, just noticed that - not a good idea as we create new products by copying existing ones, and don't want them 'live' before we've actually finished (or even started) editing them!

Is it just my browser (Chrome) playing up, or is trying to do stuff in the lightbox just stupidly slow?
    I haven't noticed it being particularly slow, but I don't use Chrome
    Chris

Yes, just noticed that - not a good idea as we create new products by copying existing ones, and don't want them 'live' before we've actually finished (or even started) editing them!
    Well if you copy and not edit straight away it will be red flagged. If you decide to edit the copy straight away it will be active but come on guys really ? It's only a matter of one mouse click to deactivate the product. Just seems to me people are picking fault now just for the sake of it.
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Deefer View Post
    Also, the product urls appear to change now when you change or tweak a product name. I don't like this at all and would like to switch it off.
    This i agree with.... It should have been notified, managed to alter 10 URLs without realising today. Can this be turned off ASAP please Rich.
    Regards

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Well if you copy and not edit straight away it will be red flagged. If you decide to edit the copy straight away it will be active but come on guys really ? It's only a matter of one mouse click to deactivate the product. Just seems to me people are picking fault now just for the sake of it.
    Yes, one mouse click - if you notice it - and that's the point, all these things are changing from how they used to be without warning. It's fine if you notice it, but if you don't then suddenly you've got half edited products live on your website.

And I've just noticed something else - don't know if this is new or has always been like that - but when you duplicate a product it doesn't keep the release date, it just sets it to todays date. Which isn't really copying is it, if it starts changing some of the data on the way. If I copy and paste something I expect it to be the same (ok the part number needs to change) not "mostly" the same. I only noticed this error/bug/feature when I added 2 pre release items and wondered why, when I viewed them both on the live site, one came up with the "pre-order" label and the other came up with the "new" label...

So it's kind of annoying that these little changes have been made, but even more so because they make no sense. Why would you want to make a product live before you've finished editing it, and why would you want to duplicate a product but not duplicate everything?

seems to me people are picking fault now just for the sake of it.
    Seems more like some of these things are being changed just for the sake of it.

Yes, one mouse click - if you notice it - and that's the point, all these things are changing from how they used to be without warning. It's fine if you notice it, but if you don't then suddenly you've got half edited products live on your website.

And I've just noticed something else - don't know if this is new or has always been like that - but when you duplicate a product it doesn't keep the release date, it just sets it to todays date. Which isn't really copying is it, if it starts changing some of the data on the way. If I copy and paste something I expect it to be the same (ok the part number needs to change) not "mostly" the same. I only noticed this error/bug/feature when I added 2 pre release items and wondered why, when I viewed them both on the live site, one came up with the "pre-order" label and the other came up with the "new" label...

So it's kind of annoying that these little changes have been made, but even more so because they make no sense. Why would you want to make a product live before you've finished editing it, and why would you want to duplicate a product but not duplicate everything?
    I’m pretty sure that both these changes had been made before the new admin console update and have been there a while. I do think, like you it is better to have a new product inactive initially but I just quickly do it as my first thing. I also preferred it to copy the date as it worked better for me on most occasions, however there are some advantages to the date changing to the current day too.

Quote Originally Posted by niche View Post
    I’m pretty sure that both these changes had been made before the new admin console update and have been there a while.
    Well that's just as bad. When people are using applications every day they need those applications to be consistent. We just need stuff to work as it always works, we shouldn't have to double check everything we do just in case someone randomly changed the way it works for no apparent reason. And "copy means copy"!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.T. View Post
    Indeed, just figured that out - but it has fixed the most annoying ones...
    I take that back. For whatever reason the lightbox is just stupidly slow in my Chrome browser, so everything that uses the lightbox is annoying.

I realise this may be an issue specific to my browser, as no-one else is complaining about it, but still - if there is an option that allows us to switch off lightbox (for whatever reason) it should apply across the board and just switch it off altogether. It's just pointless and annoying and adds nothing.

BP clearly knew some people wouldn't like it (otherwise why add the option to turn it off), so why not turn it off completely if that option is selected? It's like changing the colour scheme to bright orange with white text, saying "it's ok, we recognise some people won't like this new colour scheme, so we've added an option to turn the colours back to normal. for 75% of the site... the other 25% will stay orange and white because... well just because."

ps. nothing else in my browser seems to be going stupidly slow, just BP lightbox. If BP could tell me what technology (flash, animation, whatever) the light box uses, perhaps I could google "chrome" "slow" and "[technology]" and see if there is a known issue/fix.
    Last edited by LabelKing; 17-04-2019 at 07:27. Reason: ps.

I think if BP are going to change functionality we should be notified. My two points above, I discovered them the hard way. Not useful changes to many of us, should be optional and at the very least we should have been notified of the changes. I make lots of new products and now have to remember to deactivate each one. I also like to tweak product names but I don't want the url to change. Not good. I supported BP in all the recent changes to improve the admin navigation but more that that was done and not to tell us is a poor show. Please tell us about these kind of changes.

Quote Originally Posted by niche View Post
    I’m pretty sure that both these changes had been made before the new admin console update and have been there a while. I do think, like you it is better to have a new product inactive initially but I just quickly do it as my first thing. I also preferred it to copy the date as it worked better for me on most occasions, however there are some advantages to the date changing to the current day too.
    I think the biggest issue here is that BP have made changes to functionality but not told anyone. I have no idea why they didn't list the changes as an update. You are left wondering what else has been changed. Not a good feeling.

Exactly and this is what happened to me. I didn't notice until the next day. Not good at all. Just tell us BluePark. Changing basic functionality and not saying anything is a terrible idea and you are not taking good care of your existing customers. OK, sometimes things have to change but tell us!

That's not the point. Now I have realised (after leaving a load of half finished products live on my website for a day) I can easily just turn it off, but why weren't we told. That is the issue.

It would be useful if someone from Bluepark would come on here and tell us just what the advantages of Lightbox are, other than someone thinks it looks pretty. I can't see any!
    Chris